Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Steyr M-40 with night sights after seeing and holding one at a local gun show. I like the fit in my hand better than the Glocks, and the additional safeties were attractive too.

I took it home and shot it as soon as I could. let me just say that I think it was THE most accurate pistol "out of the box" that I have ever fired. I liked it so much, that I decided to add the M-357 brother to my collection. It has the standard sights but I bought a set of the Tritium night sights directly from the distributor to add as soon as I can get it over to a gunsmith.

I fired the M-357 this week and like it just the same as the M-40. Unlike the Glocks, this was first designed as a .40 S&W pistol and then developed into a .357 Sig and 9mm Para variants. So, the chamber is fully supported and the barrels have to be some of the strongest out there.

Leather has been slow in coming for these pistols, but it has caught the attention of some of the holster manufacturers.

www.usasteyr.com/mseries.htm

I'll still carry my KT P-357 as a concealed weapon in most cases, but for a full-size duty pistol, I love these Steyrs!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I never handled a Steyr but everything I read about them is positive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never handled one either but I've read that the trigger is somewhat sensitive (I guess target-like?) and has a very short travel. Those are the only "bad" things I have heard about them. What do you guys think?
-Gary

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the triggers on mine are great. Similar in function to the Glock (as far as the trigger safety and firing pin function goes), but smoother in my opinion. They are not "hair triggers" by any stretch of the imagination. The pull isn't terribly long -- but to me, that's good. Once I decide to shoot and I place my finger into the guard and on the trigger -- I want it to go "Bang"!

I will say, that I wasn't real crazy about the trademark trapezoid sights, that's why I chose the more traditional sight picture that the night sights provide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Steyr Pistol's Unsafe in Condition 1?

I am sure that some of you that own Steyr Pistols have searched some of the general shooting forums and encountered threads debating the safety of Steyr M or S series pistols carried with a round in the chamber. Or maybe you haven't. There was a long one on TFL if I remember correctly. This subject just came up on TheHighRoad.Org again:

The Steyer is NOT safe with one in the chamber, the only thing that restrains the striker/firing pin is the blocking nub in front of the striker finger. On my gun, this is an engagement of .050". If a rap displaces the relationship of the slide to the receiver, or if wear tolerances build up, the finger can jump over the nub and BANG ! Even with all the safties on in the receiver.
The text quoted above is from http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56119

Has anyone ever personally seen or heard second hand of an AD due to mechanical failure on a Steyr S or M series? You know, sometimes I think the Internet is full of idiots.

I'm posting this here because I've felt that the old KTOG and the new KTRANGE always had a higher information to noise ratio than other venues.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the Steyrs would be any more unsafe than a Glock. The staged firing pin causing the firing action, rather than a hammer is similar in both weapons. Actually, I've been told that the guy who designed the Steyr worked for Glock but left after they weren't interested in his new design and sold it to Steyr.

I have not heard of an accidental discharge with the Steyr, especially from rapping on the slide. I'll look at mine and see if I can make them "malfunction" the next time I go to the range.

I feel certain that if an issue exists as described by the author of the quoted thread from the high road, Steyr would not still currently be offering the weapon without a design change, recall, etc.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Guess I can jump in now....Splash!!!
I don't own a Steyr M or S series pistol, but that's mainly because I like Glocks for polymer frames (KTs excepted). However, I've shot the dickens out of several of them. And, I've watched the OWNERS shoot the BEdickens out of 'em.
There is NO WAY this pistol is going to wear enough to AD in a lifetime of average shooting.
It's nothing less than a brute of a pistol, possible more over-engineered than a Ruger. This is not a bad thing, at all!
Yep, the trigger can be tricky... I've "doubled" a couple of strings myself!
But, that's only because I was shooting it like a Glock.
Try shooting an expensive, finely tuned 1911 sometime... I guarantee you I can empty the mag with only ONE deliberate pull of the trigger, if I want! Recoil takes care of the rest... This isn't with a "hair" trigger, either. If you're not holding the pistol properly, it'll double.
This is only MY opinion... but I think the Steyr is as safe as any on the market for loaded chamber carry. Those that would have you believe otherwise have an agenda, i.e., protecting their Glock's or Springfield XD's reputation.
Oh... and I'd take a Steyr over an XD ANY day, thanks! I like my Glocks best, but I won't take away the Steyr's credit.
It's a fine handgun.
Flyer

·
Registered
100 Posts
You would take a Steyr over a Springfield XD? :shock: But, The Springfield XD Rule! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts