Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you out there have opinions on an AR-15. I will be purchasing one soon and there are several companies making them. Bushmaster is supposed to be one of the better ones. I have some knowledge about this gun but it never hurts to find out more.-BIGSHOOTER

G

·
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidi............................you want to handle this>

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically I'm a hunter, but I found a new hobby/target shooting. It's enjoyable shooting different guns. Am I not allowed to buy an AR-15 or something?

G

·
Oh no, just wanted to get you with the resident expert. i own a Colt full size LEO AR-15 but i don't really know that much about them. if you want the in's and out's of which brand is better than another than you should speak with someone that really knows. Midiman as i remember is also an avid shooter and i think a builder of AR's. if you have questions he probably has answers.

Good Luck..

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Bushmaster XM15-A2.
This is the standard version of the M-16 A2 model, with heavy 20 inch chrome-lined barrel and in my opinion the very best "working" full-sized AR on the market, even better than Colt, at the present time.
I'd stick with Bushmaster... forged components, excellent customer service, and plenty of accessories.
For the record, mine will keep 5 rounds well inside an inch at 100 yards from a rest, with iron sights.
Flyer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I have an opinion on the AR rifle - it is my very favorite rifle platform & what I shoot the most. I don't claim to be an "expert," but I own more than a dozen ARs (in six different calibers) & spend most of my internet time at www.ar15.com (a great place for AR info if you haven't been there, BTW). Colt & Bushmaster make good rifles, but I've also had good service out of Armalite, DPMS, & Olympic Arms rifles & "home-brewed" rifles I've built on lowers from Cavalry Arms (one-piece synthetic lower) & Mega Machine (a relatively new, smaller company). I hear very good things about RRA (a younger company that is quickly gobbling up a big chunk of the market), but I have no personal experience with their rifles yet.

What configuration are you wanting for your first AR? That might go a long way toward pointing you toward a manufacturer (different ones have different strengths & weaknesses, available options, etc.). Some people prefer a specific configuration, but I like them ALL (which is why I have so many... :wink: ).

I'll be glad to help you with any information I can provide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AR's are like Kel-tecs...they are very addictive. If you get one there is such an endless amount of goodies you can add on to it. It will drain your gun budget in a hurry. BTW. You cannot go wrong with a Bushmaster. I have sold literally a ton of them with no problems! I cannot say the same for Colt. I have sent a number of them back for repair.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Many books have been written about the use of the AR15 in competitive shooting. I couldn't begin to cover the subject here.

Here are a couple of good links.

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=10

well.. the second one doesn't work due to the recent reorganization of their site but in the "General" forum section you'll find a sub-category called: Competition Shooting & the Accurate AR

I warn you... you are embarking on a long, expensive journey.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all those who responded. The Bushmaster for $770 is probably the way I'll go. On a similar subject has anyone seen the new trigger spring contraption that supposedly legally makes semi-autos shoot like full autos. At the last gunshow a legitimate gun dealer was playing this video and selling these thingamagigs for like 70 bucks. This video he was playing was unreal. It showed these semi autos just tearing through ammo. I was stunned./BIGSHOOTER

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Don't bother with ANY of the rapid-fire doohickeys. They're ALL junk.
What they do is simply make the process of "bump-firing" simpler for the average user. Bump-firing is accomplished by holding the trigger finger stiff against the trigger and using the offhand to pull the forearm forwards, which causes your finger to trip the trigger. Recoil then brings the rifle back, allows the trigger to reset, then fires again as your still-rigid finger trips the trigger AGAIN from the forward pull of your other arm.
If you REALLY want to waste ammo (and hit absolutely nothing, by the way), bump-firing is the way to go.
Personally... I'll take a pass!
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I might make a suggestion. If you have shot in any CMP affiliated matches, or meet any of a number of other criteria, you qualify to purchase a rifle from the CMP. They currently have the Bushmaster DCM Competition rifle for $850... list price is closer to $1500. You won't have to decide you need to change the sights... and the trigger... and the float tube fore end... and the barrel (standard Bushies come with a 1:9 twist, you can't shoot 80 grainers out of it for 600yd target work... you need a 1:8 twist for that.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Suggestion...

Buy a Bushmaster upper receiver for however much that costs, and buy an assembled Mega or Stag Arms lower receiver, which only cost about $150. Compare the price of a Bushmaster lower half to a Stag Arms or Mega (which are of equal quality), and you will see why buying the gun in two separate parts can save you so much money.

And all AR-15 uppers and lowers are compatible with one another, so no worries. Also, try to buy a 'gov't' profile barrel; these maintain a smaller diameter under the handguards, while keeping it heavy beyond the Front Sight Base which helps balance the rifle a bit. Unless you have a specific reason for buying a heavy barrel, I wouldn't recommend one.

I don't own an AR-15 yet, nor have I ever owned any gun (I'll be a minor for another 3 months). However, I can't even describe how much I have learned from AR-15.com. Do yourself a favor and sign up.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Um...
N3rday, first, welcome to the Range!
Now...
Buy a Bushmaster upper receiver for however much that costs, and buy an assembled Mega or Stag Arms lower receiver, which only cost about $150. Compare the price of a Bushmaster lower half to a Stag Arms or Mega (which are of equal quality), and you will see why buying the gun in two separate parts can save you so much money.

And all AR-15 uppers and lowers are compatible with one another, so no worries. Also, try to buy a 'gov't' profile barrel; these maintain a smaller diameter under the handguards, while keeping it heavy beyond the Front Sight Base which helps balance the rifle a bit. Unless you have a specific reason for buying a heavy barrel, I wouldn't recommend one.
Ok... I see you aren't old enough yet and don't own one, and haven't any experience with them, yet. That's fine... and AR15.com is an excellent forum; I read there a lot.
However, there are some things that only personal experience can teach; "Book Learnin" doesn't mean much when you're staring at a receiver, an upper, handguards, assembly pins, and wondering just what in the name of Nancy Kerrigan you've gotten yourself into.
It's true that, in theory, all uppers and lowers ARE interchangeable.
The comfort in that thought comes to a screeching halt, however, when your new upper does NOT go onto your receiver no matter HOW big your sledgehammer is.
Assembling an AR-15 that doesn't just work, but works well and accurately is a pretty serious undertaking, and not one I'd recommend for a beginner. There are several areas that can get you into REAL trouble, the most common likely being a bolt that's headspaced incorrectly. Or a cam pin that's a poor fit. Everything may SEEM A-OK, until you fire the thing... and there's a very real possibility your newly built rifle is going to explode like Mt. St. Helens.
I recommend buying a ready built Bushsmaster XM15A2. It's going to funtion well and be very accurate. When you become thoroughly familiar with the rifle's functioning in practice instead of theory, you can begin to experiment and customize.
I also recommend the heavy barrel. Yes, it does cause a a minor imbalance in the rifle... but the accuracy increase makes up for that very handily, and the weight of a cleaning kit in the buttstock can serve as a nice counterweight to help bring the rifle back into balance. The mere fact that an AR doesn't balance perfectly when held by the carrying handle does NOT mean there's anything wrong!
I'm not trying to be harsh, here... just trying to help point you in the right direction. The country NEEDS as many proficient AR shooters it can get! My point, primarily, is that you need to gain that degree of experience before you take everything you read as Gospel... some of it is completely erroneous and can literally get you killed.
We do NOT want that!!! 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
236 Posts
Little sidenote on that full-auto gadget. In the video they show an AK47, AR15, and a 10-22 shooting full-auto. The full-auto Ak47 and M16 look almost like the semi versions and would be hard to tell the difference between in a video like that. Some of the Class 3 (full-auto) 10-22s don't have a selector switch on the right side of the receiver. They have a modified trigger group that works like this... to shoot semiauto, pull the lower part of the trigger. To shoot fullauto, move your finger higher on the trigger and then pull. I believe I read that in either S.W.A.T. mag or G.W.L.E. mag a few years ago. Anybody that has info that verifies this or blows it all to hell, please post. Anyway, I am saying I personally believe they are using fullautos in the video to make you believe the ATF would let that gadget turn your gun into a illegal machine gun. It ain't gonna happen. Also, I had a Hell-fire trigger thingy and it didn't work. Wasn't as wise back then.

·
Registered
315 Posts
heeeeeey Midi, how do you purchase an AR from the CMP?? I only see M1's, 1903's and .22 target rifles on odcmp.com, and thats all I've ever seen.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You CAN'T tell the difference between an AR or M-16 or full-auto AK vs. it's full-auto cousin without reading the side of the receiver. In fact, almost all AKs have the small notch on the bottom of the safety lever and corresponding "hook" on the receiver for pushing down to full-auto mode.
You CAN, however, bump-fire either one of them from the shoulder, and with enough practice you'd be able to fool practially anyone into believing they're full-auto.
It's a lot harder to bump-fire like this, but it IS possible with enough practice, and done often enough you can rip right through a full 30-round mag from the shoulder without thinking twice about it.
Flyer

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased a Bushmaster XM15 E3S w/16" barrel for my first AR and just love it. Has anyone fired the M17S Bullpup? Do they like it? I was wondering if that may be a good 1st AR? (or 2nd or 3rd)
SKB

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

SKB said:
I purchased a Bushmaster XM15 E3S w/16" barrel for my first AR and just love it. Has anyone fired the M17S Bullpup? Do they like it? I was wondering if that may be a good 1st AR? (or 2nd or 3rd)
SKB
It may or may not be a good purchase but it is NOT an AR.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts