Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking on putting some aftermarket sights on my Makarov, but it seems kinda expensive.

$120 to get XS Xpress standard dot tridium sights installed.
~$160 to buy another Makarov, so I'm not without one while the sights are being installed. :twisted:

Do you think I should do it?
Do you think having one extra Makarov is enough? :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
You'll have to decide if $120 is worth it to you for the tritium night sites. I decided it wasn't, for now anyway. I got the phosphorescent glow-in-the-dark stick-on dots for $6.00 from Makarov.com. They are poor man's night sites. I haven't really used them as night sites but they do help improve the small Mak sites.

Scroll down this link almost all the way to the bottom under "Miscellaneous":

http://www.makarov.com/cart/vitemmak.htm

As far as getting another Mak. That's a no-brainer - get one while they're plentiful and cheap! My first Mak was an EG but EG's are getting so relatively rare/expensive these days, I replaced it as my car gun 2 years ago with an unissued Bulgarian so now I've got 2. No reason not to get a back-up Mak.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've decided I really like my Makarov, except for the sights. I'd like to add the XS sights, but I'm not sure who to have add them.

I would think that whoever does the gunsmithing would need the whole gun rather than just the slide. I would think they'd need to shoot it to make sure they did the job right.

I hate to deal with FedEx or UPS with this because there's no one at my house when they deliver to sign for a package. I can send the gun through an FFL, but that adds some additional hastle and cost of it's own.

I tried the one local gunsmith that I've talked to before (Old English Outfitters), and they told me they had never done dovetail work on a Mak and didn't want to experiment on mine.

Do I need to send the whole gun to get sights put on, or can they do the job well with just the slide?

Does anyone in the Dayton, OH area know of a gunsmith that would do a good job of adding the sights? (I don't mind an hour or so drive to drop off and pick up the gun).

If I need to send out the whole gun do you have recommendations on who to use? I heard a couple people who got sights put on their Maks by Makarov.com's custom shop say they were no longer sighted in after the new sights were added, so I'm hesitant to use them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
ups

flatrock,

If you use Federal Express or UPS and you are not home!, after a second attempt they will leave a note on your door telling you that they have tried to deliver and that you can pick up your package at their location.

$800 Box

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you use Federal Express or UPS and you are not home!, after a second attempt they will leave a note on your door telling you that they have tried to deliver and that you can pick up your package at their location.
Actually I have very nice and helpful FedEx and UPS delivery people. I live 2 miles from where I work, and the delivery people know where I work from past deliveries. When they can't reach me at home, they just drop the package by work. That's normally very helpful. However, when a firearm is involved, I don't want it showing up at work. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aftermarket sights can be a big improvement on the Maks.

Here's one of my Russina models which I put a better front sight on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re:

flatrock said:
Do I need to send the whole gun to get sights put on, or can they do the job well with just the slide?

If I need to send out the whole gun do you have recommendations on who to use? I heard a couple people who got sights put on their Maks by Makarov.com's custom shop say they were no longer sighted in after the new sights were added, so I'm hesitant to use them.
Might e-mail Makarov.com and ask them if they do. If I were to get night sites, they would be my choice. They know their Maks obviously.

Their website says " Prices include all work, and testing."

http://www.makarov.com/slide/index.html

·
Registered
467 Posts
Russina Model

9x19,

I really like that Russina Model, I have the Bulgarian Model, mine came with black grips with a thumb rest on it but also came with a extra pair of brown grips like the one in your picture.

You have a really nice collection!

$800 Box

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was avoiding makarov.com because I misunderstood some posts people made about fixed sights from there. They were talking about the self installed fixed sights that makarov.com sold to replace the adjustable sights on the Russian Maks.

I'll probably send it to makarov.com, however I may check with Jack Fuselier to see if he would put new sights on it since I'd like to have him nickel plate the slide anyway. It would be nice to get both done at once.

·
Registered
79 Posts
diamondmike,

Thanks. I like the Makarovs quite alot, even more when they have sights I can see... like the Novaks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Novaks

9x19,

I have never looked down the barrel of a Makarov with Novaks on it.

I have not shot the one I bought yet because it is to muddy outside, but by just pointing the gun around the house with the sights that came on it I noticed that they are not real fast to sight in, but once you get them sighted in, they are tight on the target.

How much does it cost for the Novaks?

Also I noticed in the picture of your collection that they all look alike almost reguardless of where they was made, but the Russian has a couple different details.

$800 Box

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did these myself so the sights only cost me about $40 from Brownells.

The mini mill, vise and tooling adds another $800 or so!

Of course, I do use the mill for other projects. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts