Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a KelTec Sub 2000 two years ago. It ran well and was a fun carbine to play gun games with. I put over a thousand rounds of 9mm through it before a problem developed.

It seems that the hammer was following the bolt. Several times the weapon would not fire and required multiple cocking to work. It then discharged by itself when the bolt was released to chamber a round. I now had a problem to solve.

At the time I had been transferred to NC and all this took place in the mountains. A phone call to KelTec went well and they would be happy to Have me ship it back to check. For a variety of reasons I let it sit at home till I moved back to Orlando Florida.

Earlier this week I had the morning off and a spur of the moment decision had me and the rifle in the car heading to Cocoa Florida. I had a general Idea where the factory was as I had lived in Rockledge FL next to Cocoa. I call the company when I hit the city and was promptly directed to the factory.

I was met at the door and my Carbine disappeared to the back. within ten minutes my rifle was back and Marty the tech who worked on it explained the problem. Seems I had a steel pin used in my early version that was not heat treated. As a result of my moderate use the pin bent over time causing the malfunction. Marty fixed the offending part, upgraded the rest of the rifles components, polished the trigger action and throated the barrel. Long story short..I am a very happy camper. To top it off I was given a tour of the factory, saw the new range and had my hands on the SU16. Now I know what my next KelTec will be.

I even heard rumors of great things to be announced. Only problem is that they had no details to go with the rumors. Rats I hate rumors without details!!! :)

Thanks to all at KelTec for reinforcing the concept of standing behind their product. I will buy more as a result!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
FotoTomas,
Sounds great! KT's customer is second to one.
Marty's a member here, by the way! Name's Bloodwalker. If you see a post under that handle, it's him!
I'll looking forwards to a trip to Florida myself sometime this spring... maybe I'll finally get my own tour!
Flyer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, at least it did not go full auto on you with the bolt following the the new round home.

FotoThomas, just wondering how much of your 1000 rds were jhp. I have fired about 200 rds. fmj and was wondering how jhp is going to work!

I think I will send mine to Kel-tec to throat the barrell and polish the trigger group. Sure makes me fill good about my Sub2000 after positive post like yours :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I imagine I put less than 200 rounds of JHP through it. I tried some JHP to see if it would function in case I ever loaded a personal defense magazine into it. It worked fine with the Winchester white box personal defense ammo I was using. Same point of impact as the ball stuff. I felt for my rainy day plan ball was a better choice and more reliable. The vast majority of the 1000 plus I fired was Winchester Value Pack. I did purchase 1500 rounds of S&B 9mm 115 grain ball for matches and such. I am sure several hundred rounds or more went down range of that stuff as well.

For awhile I kept it folded in the top of a Tenba Camera bag. My primary personal guns were a GLOCK 17 and 26. The KelTec was a neat companion to them. I had a 31 round GLOCK magazine taped to the bottom of the hand guard and a 17 rounder in the grip. Both loaded with ball ammo. A definate SHTF option for us belt and suspenders types.

I have enjoyed the carbine a bunch but it still fails to eject every now and then so has been relegated to fun-gun status. A UZI model B carbine does the homeland defense duty right now. Of course when the SU16 gets found, purchased and tested I will enjoy using that supply of 20 and 30 round GI mags I have sitting in a ammo box waiting for a new rifle that uses them. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts