Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the H&K P7PSP? The only difference I can see in it and a P7M8 is the european magazine release. My dealer has two of these German police trade-ins in 95-98% condition with two magazines.

I see in Shotgun News that SOG International has them for $645

Unless someone can tell me why I should pass this up and hold out for a P7M8 -- I think one of these will be coming home with me very soon.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Buy it. Buy it. Then yet another thing... buy it.
These are WUNNERFUL pistols!!! Probably my very favorite 9mm.
I actually PREFER the European style release on pistols of this size, and it's so darned accurate you can't believe it until you've shot one.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang it Flyer!!!

You get me in trouble on this site!!! :x

I finished with my client early this afternoon. So, I stopped by one of my regular gun stores at my next stop. Guess what they had in the case? A brand new H&K P7M8 -- with a $1475 price tag. I just HAD to look at it -- and FEEL it. No, I didn't buy it -- but in discussion with the store owner, I brought up the German Police trade-in P7PSPs......a grin appeared upon his face and he walked to the back without saying a word.

He reappeared a few seconds later carrying a box and a nice sized plastic bag. Down on the counter is placed a black plastic box marked HKP7 -- inside is what looks like a brand new, never issued P7PSP. I mean there wasn't a mark on it -- except where they put a line through BMI on the slide (didn't penetrate the metal -- looks like something a penny would remove) -- and the opposite side of the frame has PW Arms, Redmond, WA nicely inscribed in gold-tone.

I couldn't even tell if it had been fired after it left the factory! Inside the box was the original manual (in German), the original target from the factory with what looks like an 8-shot no larger than 3" group fired from 25m (27.3 yards), a cleaning brush that has never seen solvent or the bore, an extra 8-rond magazine, and a takedown tool.

The clear plastic bag contained a black leather duty holster, a second belt loop for the holster (for use when wearing a uniform jacket to hold the gun outsde the waistband of the jacket), a magazine pouch, and a new-in the package trigger lock.

He told me the price -- which was a little higher than what I thought would be the normal add-on to the $645 in Shotgun News. He dropped his price by $125 and threw in a box of Federal P9HS1 ammo (I lamented that I only had .40 S&W and .380 with me on this trip :) ).

Do you think I bought it?? Heck YES!!!!

It is sitting here on the desk in the hotel room with me as I type. What an awesome buy! Even though it only has the 8+1 capacity, I can already tell that I am in LOVE with this pistol. You gotta get one!! (it was less than half the price of the brand new P7M8...including all the goodies and ammo).

My only regret is that no indoor range exists in this city. It will be going with me on the rest of my trip -- taking a ride on Delta Airlines tomorrow morning.

I am a happy -- but "fun money" exhausted boy tonight!! :D

A range report will follow in the next week or so...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, fill me in on the rifling of this weapon. It is the strangest looking rifling I've seen in a barrel. I heard that it is what makes this pistol so accurate -- true?

Hey, I see the "cuts" in the chamber....used to make this a delayed blow-back action? It almost looks like it has a gas port in the bottom of the chamber and a gas piston on the bottom of the slide.....

Sure wish I had an English translated manual...

Ah! Found it on the internet.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The HK has "Polygonal" rifling, like a Glock. No lead bullets!
It IS gas-operated... or rather, gas-delayed blowback. The hole you see vents gas downward against a piston, which holds the slide closed 'till the pressure's dropped to safe levels to cycle.
The main reason for it's great accuracy is actually the fixed barrel! Trust me; when you get used to this puppy, and the cocking mechanism, it's gonna SHOOT groups tighter than you are probably imagining right now!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
REPORT!

Oh My Gosh! Flyer, you were right!

I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale a few hours before my partner did. While waiting for his flight to arrive, I decided to kill some time. I saw a sign near the airport for one of those new Bass Pro Shop Outdoor Superstores. Thinking that the guys in their gun department would know where I could find an indoor range, I stopped in to check it out. Amazingly, I discovered that all of these superstores have an indoor pistol, rifle, and archery range upstairs!!

I quickly went back out to the car, grabbed the P7, and took the elevator to the range floor. Value pack Winchester was a a good price, so 100 rds and about 10 targets went into the range with me.

I set the first -- very first -- target out at 25 feet to see how bad I would do shooting this "squeeze cocker" for the first time. Agan, the very first magazine of 8-rounds went into the gun and I did my normal slight lean up against the range divider and squeezed off a magazine full at a moderate pace. I couldn't believe my eyes!

I ran the target back in to find that every single hole was in the 10 ring or X ring! Every one! (I'll try to scan the target when I get home). Not all groupings stayed that tight as shooting went on, but everything stayed in the black at ranges of 15 to 30 feet. I'm hooked on this pistol! I shot equally well with either hand -- this pistol is ambi-friendly. After 100 rounds in about 30 minutes, the little bugger was down right hot on the upper portion of the trigger guard. I understand why they added the insulation to the later models.

It will become my primary carry arm -- at least for a while -- when I can find a paddle holster for it. It is heavier than my P-11 of course....but the accuracy -- I can only wait to see how much better I do as time goes on. I think I may start looking to upgrade to a P7M13 if I can find one without mortgaging the house or selling the airplane!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the target from the first magazine fired from the HK P7. Two trips to the range and 200 rounds through this pistol without a problem.

I've located a P7M13 nearby, if I like it as much I might be making this little gem available on the FS/WTB page -- will give members of the KTRange first dibs if I decide to part with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts