Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know about the S&W .40 cal revolver?? I saw one in one of the local gun shops and that was the first time I had ever seen one before. That was different. It was used and they still wanted 500 dollars for it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Smith&Wesson

cloak,

For years Smith&Wesson has made the 45acp in a revolver, it does not surprise me that they would make it in the 40 Cal.
I personally see no advantage to putting a auto round in a revolver. But thats just me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
S&W recently released a non-Performance Center 646 -- although still limited edition. Its an L-Frame with a titanium cylinder for weight reduction. Shoots 6 rounds of .40 S&W in moonclips. Nice gun if you don't mind titanium cylinders. A friend bought one -- haven't shot it yet.

S&W also makes the 610 -- a larger N-Framed gun that shoots both .40 and 10mm from moonclips. Very cool gun.

Duane

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Actually, the .40 round should be very good in a revolver.
The fact that it's an modern auto round means that it's far shorter than a typical revolver cartridge, most of which were originally designed for black powder and hence required far more powder space.
This effectively increases the barrel length and increases energy and velocity.
Think about it a sec: there's no WAY a .38 Special really NEEDS to be that long with modern powders, and the only reason a .357 is longer than the .38 is to prevent accidental chambering in said .38!
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Dunno what that's got to do with anything...
I've already GOT my Python. Don't need another one.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Get a .357 Sig barrel and put it into your P-40....what a .357 magnum wishes it could be -- and auto cartridge with power to spare in a small package. KT P357 = 11 rounds of .357 Magnum-like power in a very concealable package!

:couch:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just thought it was interesting that S&W actaully made it in a .40 revolver. Initailly they were the ones that came up with the .40, right??

The gun store that I saw it in, didnt even bother to clean it yet. It has powder marks on the chambers and the barrel.

Figure for 500, they would it least clean the powder marks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Who cares?
Gimme a 230 grain Hydra-Shok .45 and I guarantee you no .357 revolver or even auto in the world is gonna have any advantage at ALL against me... probably not even as well armed, since muzzle flash and recoil are greater and hinder follow-up shots.
I'cn use any danged caliber I want for defense.
That caliber is .45 ACP.
Flyer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ahem..

Getting back to the model 646 revo in .40 cal for a minute: S&W first made them up in the Perf. Center division with competition in mind, IDPA in particular I believe. They had at least one problem which made them less-than-spectacular sellers. Due to the variations in .40 brass, moon clips of differing thicknesses were needed for reliable operation. (And, you'd have to mark the clips somehow to tell them apart.) Both the IDPAers I know who had this model spent much time sorting brass, and dropping loaded moon clips into their guns ahead of time, to make sure the cylinder would turn freely. Just conjecture on my part, but the 646s we see now are likely overruns from those early ones. Sales musta been less than brisk. Also guessing, but the cylinder being titanium would preclude most friendly local 'smiths from boring out the chambers to 10mm. Now don't let what I've stated above be seen as a condemnation of the 646. There's one in a shop near me that's been languishing in the display case for a couple months, priced at $519 or so. Wonder how he'd respond to an offer of $475?...Think he'd throw in extra clips, too?

·
Registered
68 Posts
This new run is different than the PC model -- looks like a regular 686 -- no PC barrel or anything.

I don't think the L-Frame guns (steel or otherwise) were made to handle 10mm pressures -- that is what the 610 is for.

A friend bought one of the new 646s -- so I will shoot it soon. It does, however, come in a nice hard case!

Duane

1 - 19 of 19 Posts