Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an e-mail reply from COR-BON today. .380 Powerball ammo
should be available sometime in May 2004.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sweet! Did they say what the weight would be? I don't think the 100gr. bullet used in other caliber loads will fit in the case and allow any room for powder -- or stay within the OAL for .380 ACP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.380 Powerball

I did not get any specifications bullet weight etc. The info I got was just that it would be out in May 2004.

I will be monitoring COR-Bon's website. If and when they post info I will provide it to the forum.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Im waiting for it to come out also.

It will probablt be 80 to 90gr or so..
I have it in my .45.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It'll take it to a whole new level???
Um... I don't mean to be argumentative here, but I don't predict any improvement whatsoever in the round's stopping ability over standard Cor-Bon rounds... the issue seems to be one of enhanced feed reliability.
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Oh, ok, I see what you're gettin' at...
Basically you're looking at this as a matter of having your cake and being able to eat it, too.
So... guess the only way to know is to wait for the reports to start filtering in about how well it stops, then! 8)
Flyer

G

·
Exactamondo! reliability of ball ammo, expansion of hollow point and, well, it's Cor-Bon....i think that power-ball ammo will take many pistols to a whole new level. especially in a pocket auto where sometimes there are feeding and reliability problems it is always nice to have your cake and P3AT it too. now, it's time for cor-bon to make the powerball in .32 also. this way we could finally squash the ball ammo vs. hollowpoint debate and answer.......................both!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I expect the ballistics on the .380 Pow'Rball to be similar to the standard Cor-bon load. Maybe a slight increase as is experienced with the 9mm+P.

The standard 9mm+P is 466 ft/lbs. (115gr), 434 ft/lbs. (125gr) & 450 ft/lbs (90gr), where the Pow'Rball 9mm+P (100gr) is 483 ft/lbs.

I am guessing the weight of the .380's Pow'Rball bullet to be in the 55-65gr range. A smaller bullet (shorter) will be required to stay within the shorter OAL of the .380 ACP cartridge.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All very well and good, but I can't even find Pow-R Ball in the already established calibers!! :shock:

G

·
Love that 135gr 40. I have the 135gr Hydra-Shock in my P40 now and that was becasue it was lightest 40 that I could find. I think that I will switch to the power ball this weekend. I have never been a big fan of the Hydra Shocks anyhow. I have always liked the UUmph of the Cor-Bon and now with the reliability of ball ammo it's a bonus.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, I've gotta say...
Personally I think the Hydra-Shok is the best hollowpoint bullet ever designed.
It's never failed me in a single caliber... not regarding stopping power, but functionality and accuracy.
Flyer

G

·
I got this today regarding the release of .380 powerball...

We had hoped to have it out by now! It looks like it'll be closer to June 1st before it gets released.

Mike Shovel
Sales Manager
COR-BON/Glaser

i think that it will be worth the wait....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad to see that Corbon is finally seeing the light in the 380 cal. I've been carrying their Safety-Slug in my P3AT. They feed really well due to that plastic ball they have on the tip. I would tend to think that their Powerball would feed better than their Safety-Slugs. Not quite sure if the Safety-Slug has the polymere caps, but they do leave a very big hole with all those BB's bouncing around.

I've tried the Golden Sables and I also had no problems with those either. Then again it's what feeds reliably and does the most damage to the BG.

I now carry the Corbon 150 or 155's (can't really remember) in my P40. I wanted the Powerballs, but the dealer I was at don't carry them. I guess that you have to get them strictly on-line.
As far as the stats go, I'd chose the Corbon's any day over the other brands simply because all they make are defensive loads and they seem to have their she-ott together.

Let's see 3 boxs of Powerballs, 1 for my 45, 1 for the 40 and 1 for the 380. I guess it's Busch beer instead of Bud...

G

·
powerball can be ordered on-line but usually you can find a shop that has it. i have never ordered ammo on-line but the sites that i have been at that do it, usually charge an additional handling fee. for that price, plus shipping you could probably find it locally cheaper. i have the cor-bon's in my P32 and used to carry them in my 3AT. they were hanging on the underside of the chamber when i would hand cycle the slide to empty the weapon for cleaning, etc. i switched to the ranger sxt becasue i thought it would stop. the sxt's hang up the same as the cor-bon did so as soon as i can get back to the gun store it will be the cor-bon's back into the P3AT and a box if 135gr powerball for the P40 as well. they seem to be the ideal round for the KT's. with a small weapon with a short barrel they seem to bridge the gap between velocity and expansion that you would usually loose with a short barrel.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yeah, sportsmansguide.com charges either a $2 or $3 ammo handling fee. If you're only gonna buy one box at a time, I'd go retail. I load up on various calibers when I buy on-line ammo -- and maybe an additional trinket or two -- to justify shipping charges. Once you make an order or two on SG.com, they start sending you email coupons for $5 off of your next order. That helps offset the handling charges too -- kind of "golden handcuffs".

BTW, the S&B .380 ACP JSP ammo I mentioned in another thread from SG.com performs VERY well (firing, feeding-wise...no testing for penetration/expansion). I think Domzilla has used some too. It's hot enough to consider using as carry loads and is sure-feeding -- until the Pow'Rball becomes available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.