Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am about as anxious as a kid on Xmas eve. I ordered the 357SIG Conversion kit on Wednesday and KT sent it out 3DS for me. That means it will be here today. I am sitting here and I have insomnia I am so anxious. I haven't been this worked up since I bought my First Hand gun at 21! Geez life is good! :)

G

·
Well...............................?

Did you get it yet, what makes you think that the rest of us aren't waiting to hear too....

I am curious to see a range report. I have absolutely fallen in love with my P40 and I hate to say it but it shoots better than my P11. A buddy of mine is a Criminal Investigator for the state. They carry the Sig P229 in .357 Sig. Anyway, he a retired FBI agent and doesn't shoot unless it's his qualification, he came by the office today and dropped off two boxes of 125gr Speer Gold Dot in .357 Sig. He said that he has two or three more boxes at home that he will bring me as well. I have a Glock 32 in .357 Sig that I love, I am considering getting the barrel for my P40 and make the switch. I like the .357 much better than the 40 anyway. With an in like this, I can afford to shoot my favorite round more often.

Get to the range and let me know how it shoots compared to the 40.

Regards

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I can tell you -- it will shoot even better!! I've basically turned my P-40 into a P-357 full-time. To me, the recoil is less intense than the .40 S&W -- and I shoot better with the .357 Sig.

With the Pow'Rball ammo, it is a 10-round powerhouse!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it in today. KT addressed it wrong and I had to have it delivered correctly. Glad I work for UPS HEHE. First thing! do you want my addy? You know so you can send me one of those boxes of 357sig? :) The kit came with a steel guide rod and had the feed ramp polished. I did a F&B and adjusted my mags to work with 9mm, 40cal, and 357sig. The stock mag release to late and I just adjusted them to release a little sooner. Very similar to how one adjust 1911 mags. My 40cal barrel needed major adjustment. The guide rod would get jammed under the barrel and lock the slide forward! After getting it apart I noted the dished out section on the 357 barrel. I copied it on the 40 and now it works nicely. My only issues are the front sight is not perfect, and there is a little play at lock up on both 40 and 357 barrels. The sight is slightly raised at the front. Might get to the range tomorrow. My p-11 assembly is going back for up grade and color change :)

Hey is you P-40 barrel really thin? Mine looks like paper at the end of the barrel!

BTW the slide came with some old company literature! It advertised the Flash light and the P-11 flash light mount! I'll post it later.

Norfdet893 for $60 more just buy the whole 357sig conversion! It would keep the barrels and heavy springs from getting mixed up, plus would look cool at the range! :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yep, the flashlight mount is pretty cool. Your "pinky" activates a secondary "trigger" at the bottom of the magazine to activate the light. With the Surefire 6P installed, it makes a nice little bedroom nightstand gun as mine shown in the photo below.

It would not be convenient for any type of carry with the light installed.

I don't think they are available from KT anymore (got mine way back in '95) -- haven't been in a long time, if I recall correctly...

And, no -- I'm not selling mine! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got to shoot the 40 barrel today. Man is accurate! I was shooting Speer GoldDot 155gr. Very nice. I was more function firing than testing for accurate. The gun still put 12 rounds in a group about 4 inch at 15feet. POI and POA is the same. The gun did not fail to fire once. I did find out the recoil of the 40 is much more than on the 9mm though! It sheared off my mag catch! I am going to order a new one today, but in the mean time I replaced the bottom half of the mag catch with aluminum. Heck I think it came out so well I may not remove it unless it fails. Looks cool being two toned. The mag catch is now half aluminum and half plastic. Want a pic? Testing the Sig ammo on Saturday.

One more thing the Counter guy kept trying to get me to buy 180 grain bullets! This is still a no no right guys? No 180 in a 40cal? IS 140 grain 357sig ok? I bought some 140 grain S&B so let me know please!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You CAN shoot 180 grainers in your P-40 all you want!
You won't WANT to. That's the problem... they're just too much to handle, and with that bullet weight/barrel length combo the bullets could tumble, also.
That's a pretty heavy .357 Sig round, 140 grs., but it's ok too... if I were to carry a .357 Sig it'd be Cor-Bon's 125 gr. load, but the S & B should work just fine.
Flyer

G

·
GN2K, i looked over my barrel for my P40 again. If the thinness that you are referring to is at the muzzle end, then yes it does appear thin. I am not sure if it has any signifigance on anything. When I shot my P40 it was much more fun than my P11. Although I will give the credit to the previous owner, Shuguy did a hell of a nice F&B to the pistol, which is why it shoots so nice. I am still on the fence on whether I want to order a new setup and turn my P11 into a P357 or just order a replacement barrel for my P40. I do know that I am itching for another 357 pistol. I once had a Glock 33, which is the sub-compact in 357sig. I ended up getting rid of it becasue it was a handfull and became unpleasant to shoot. In retrospect however, I do miss the power of the 357sig round and would like to replace it in my Kel-Tec.

G

·
I was really interestd in this pistol when they first hit the market in 9mm. When they made the .357, as I remember it did not get very good reviews at all. As it was, it seemed to me that the pistol never really took off and I never really considered gettting one. I have been so happy with my P40 that I think I would rather have a Kel-Tec P357 than a Styer anyway. I was considering ording the replacement slide for my other P11 beacuse it now just sits in the safe. The barrel only would be cheaper, but if I really like it than the P40 would be in the safe. I wish someone that lived here had one so I could shoot it too see the difference.

G

·
if it wasn't for a pregnant wife we would be on our way to Disney World....she's never been but now it is worth the wait to take both of them (found out today that it is a boy)....someone to inherit my Kel Tec's and other toys.

Thanks for the offer....maybe if you fly up here agian like you did for the Wright Brother's Memorial we can get together. We only live approximately an hour and fifteen minutes over the border (in VA) from Kill Devil Hills, N.C.. We go to the outer banks 4-6 times a year and mostly in the summer. It would be nice to have an annual KTRange conference somewhere but if is soo hard to trave these days and we are a vast and spreadout group.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'll be somewhat close in July -- bringing the airplane up to Charlotte for the Airborne Law Enforcement Association (ALEA) conference the 21st-24th.

BTW -- congrats on the "new KTRanger"! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re:

norfdet893 said:
(found out today that it is a boy)....someone to inherit my Kel Tec's and other toys. Regards.
Hey congratulations Nortdet893! Just don't start his name with P- anything! LOL
BTW you got an invite for BBQ and P357 shooting in AZ!

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
norfdet893 said:
(found out today that it is a boy)....someone to inherit my Kel Tec's and other toys. Regards.
Hey congratulations Nortdet893! Just don't start his name with P- anything! LOL
BTW you got an invite for BBQ and P357 shooting in AZ!
Or a boy named SU.

G

·
thanks guys, we still can't believe it. the miltec on the burgers wouldn't be too bad, it's the BBQ sauce in the P40's action that would gum up the works...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re:

norfdet893 said:
the miltec on the burgers wouldn't be too bad, it's the BBQ sauce in the P40's action that would gum up the works...
flyandscuba said:
Beware that your burgers may have a slight taste of Miliitec from the dual use BBQ grill/gunrack.... :jester:
Oh you's guys are funny, Very funny! I'll have you know I use Miltec grease on my KT Pistols only! BBQ sauce is reserved for my KT rifles! :p

G

·
Hey, Fly..............can you pass me the cosmoline, this chicken is a little dry!

Now if I could just find my recipe for Spicy Cajun Cosmoline rub we could get this party started right. :lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts