Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to fix my Mag release after my first range session with the 40 cal barrel. The plastic sheared off and the mag's would not stay in the grip. To fix this I bonded a flat piece of aluminum to the release after removing about half of the plastic. The aluminum then is shaped to the same dimensions as the plastic release. This is much stronger than the original piece. Looks kinda odd two tone but it works! I also had to reshape the lips of my P-11 mags to get them to work reliably. When the mags are fully loaded the top 2 rounds would not feed as the round would lock on the feed ramp as it was caming out of the mag. I changed the release time basically. I have tested it with 9mm and 40. The 357sig test is on the morrow.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You may want to try using one less round than the capacity of the magazine. For example, I have P-40 mags with the +1 round extension installed.

When I carry the gun, one is in the chamber and 9 are in the magazine rather than 10. My spare magazine has 10, because when it is inserted into the gun, the slide will be locked in the rear position.

Releasing the slide lock will strip the top round off of the full mag, and again -- I'll have one in the chamber and 9 in the magazine.

There is something about compressing a full-to-capacity .40/.357 mag into the gun with one in the chamber. The over compression of that full magazine's spring will result with a most predictable FTF after the first shot.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fly&Scubba,

The mod to the feed lips allows loading the mags to full capacity. I normaly do not carry with the chamber loaded, but have shot the gun that way. Try the feed lip mod on a spare mag, it works 100% full or not. I think unmodified mags fail because the round is so fat and the rise so high the round locks due to friction.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Actually, when you have one in the chamber and then add a full 10-round mag, the mag spring is compressed so far that it is applying greater friction under the slide. Notice that you have to apply significant force to get the full 10-round mag to lock in the grip/frame. When you fire that first shot, the slide has to overcome the higher friction from the completely loaded mag -- and the failure to eject/feed takes place.

With 9 in the mag and one in the chamber, the pressure is much less against the bottom of the slide. You'll see the difference when you insert and lock a full minus one magazine in your P-40/P-357.

Keys encountered the same situation. I don't think altering the feed lips will correct the failure I'm referring to. But, may be necessary for your P-11 mags to feed properly for different reasons.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re:

flyandscuba said:
I don't think altering the feed lips will correct the failure I'm referring to. But, may be necessary for your P-11 mags to feed properly for different reasons.
Ahh gotcha. I was taking about the p-11 mag that only hold 8 rounds, and you where talking about the p-40 mags. Sorry I was on a different page in the same book. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Speaking of this, I remember Keys posting that he found that the P11 mags work better for feeding .40 than the actual P40 mags do. I took my P40 to the range Friday, and had several FTFs that were due to the next-to-last round going nose up and the round below going attempting to come up beside it. It created quite a jam once, and I had to spend a few moments undoing it. I think Keys had a good point when me metioned that the P11 follower has "legs" that help keep it at a constant angle, where the P40 mags do not, and so the follower tips it's nose up more as the mag gets to the bottom, allowing the last couple of rounds to sit at too extreme an angle for reliable feeding.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shot the 357sig and 40cal barrels today and not a single FTF. Nothing! I was very happy with the performance.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

madman said:
Speaking of this, I remember Keys posting that he found that the P11 mags work better for feeding .40 than the actual P40 mags do. I took my P40 to the range Friday, and had several FTFs that were due to the next-to-last round going nose up and the round below going attempting to come up beside it. It created quite a jam once, and I had to spend a few moments undoing it. I think Keys had a good point when me metioned that the P11 follower has "legs" that help keep it at a constant angle, where the P40 mags do not, and so the follower tips it's nose up more as the mag gets to the bottom, allowing the last couple of rounds to sit at too extreme an angle for reliable feeding.
Yeah, I've had it with the last two rounds sticking straight up, or the first round being stripped off pointing downward. I've shot many hundreds of rounds now with P-11 mags in my P-40's, though they have been upgraded with Wolff extra power springs. It's the only setup I will use for carry. I save the P-40 mags to put in the rotation for practice. You're mileage may vary.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re:

Midiman said:
It ALMOST sounds as if you were disappointed :)
Nah I just like to tinker with the gun till it's right. This time it did not give me a reason for more tinkering :) This left me with my other projects. :(

·
Registered
432 Posts
The funny thing (or not so funny, depending on perspective) is that when I called KT to order two extra P40 mags, I asked about P11 mags, and the lady told me that the P11 mags absolutely would not work with the P40. Now, I knew better, but I try to pick my fights, and this didn't seem to be a fight worth having, so I didn't argue with her. However, in retrospect, I now wish I had purchased P11 mags instead of P40 mags. I wonder if KT would send me just some P11 followers if I told them about the feeding problems I had... What the heck, I've got to call them about a new P3AT grip and HC exchange, might as well order some parts too!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I've thought the same thing about getting P-11 followers for the P-40 mags - it would give you the better P-40 feed lips, but 8 round capacity, even with the extra round extension - I've tried it.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, I'd rather have a gun that has 8+1 capacity and functions reliably every time than a gun that has 9+1 or even 15+1 and fails sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts