Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for this silly question, but
I just aquired a ruger sp101 chambered in 357
I have been told in the past, a 357 can shoot a 38 special but not the other way around? is this correct, can I safely shoot 38 special from this ruger 357

thx in advc

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, shoot all the .38 you want.
The .357 is simply a lengthened .38 Special case so the .357 can't accidentally chamber in a .38.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
you will be glad you bought the heavy Ruger instead of one of those lightweight alloy frame models. Now you can even shoot the +p .357 and .38spec without the recoil killing you.
I'll be doing more .38spec HP tests later next week, including the new Speer 135gr+p round. Boy, it was hard to find. Dealer friend found one box, all his distributor had.
I'll also be trying the Rem Golden Saber. Let you all know how it comes out later.
og

BTW, forgot to mention, you can check out my preliminary test data in this thread....
http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewt...ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=taurus&start=15

read the whole thread for interesting info from everybody.

and, by all means, don't buy any Winchester "WinClean" ammo for your new pistol. The OAL is too short, in my opinion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I cant back this up with chrono data, but it has been discussed that the increase in recoil, noise and velocity puts outweighs the negligble increase in velocity from a .357 round as compared to .38+p in a 2" barrel revolver. The muzzle blast is a sight to behold out of a 2" snubbie in .357: I had a rossi 2" and carried 158gr .38+p instead of full-house .357 loads. The recoil was just too much. just my $.02.....
(note: sold that gun-- i just can't seem to hold on to revolvers-oh, well the next gun show is in november. I think im gonna get a 442 cent. this time, lets see if it sticks.)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
last wetpack tests

Did my final wetpack tests with the Taurus 2"snubbie yesterday, including the new Speer .38spec 135gr+p GoldDots.
Photo below with all results.
The Speer is OK but I'm not overly impressed with it. A little more penetration but not a whole lot better than just plain Win .38spec 125gr+p.
The GoldenSaber .357magnum is still the best in my revolver.

Make your own decision, remember the wetpack is not "ballistic", "FBI certified", and all that. Valid enough for me.

og

BTW, before anybody gets all shook up over the penetration numbers, I need to mention that newspaper wetpack penetration is only 2/3 that of "certified gelatin". Multiply by 3 and then divide by 2 to get a better feel for it. So 7" in wetpack is the lowest I accept for carry ammo in my guns.

G

·
OG, OUTSTANDING........I was waiting for someone to come up with some comparative data on the new Speer Gold Dot 135gr +p. I am assuming since it penetrated more that it packed with a little more "oomph" than other loads to compensate for the shorter barrel. I have been carrying Remington Golden Saber 125gr +p in my Smith airweight bodyguard. Since I haven't shot anyone with it yet, I am assuming it is an alright round. Nice test though and thank you for your time that you dedicate to do this (along with the expense).

regards

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
oldgranpa,
EXCELLENT! Your research is really useful to all of us here at the Range.
That's some very good performance from the .38, by the way. Makes me feel better about choosing a Smith .38 snub for my mother's use.
Thanks again, and keep 'em coming! You're a natural at this.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
thanks

thanks fer the replies. I'm just very fortunate to have a big, free, outdoor range nearby and a few friends that help me save newspapers. Our range is over 2 city blocks long with three covered sections. I usually go to the far end uncovered range where nobody goes when I do a wetpack. Also shot some 9mm JHP in a friends Ruger P95. I'll post the picture later. One was a local police +p+ round that came apart in the pack. Worthless.

After many years of doing this now I find each wetpack is a little different. If I soak them longer and don't pack them too tight I get more penetration. Maybe I can come up with a better way to do them closer to the same. It's also possible to use denim over the pack if you want to. Just extra trouble.

The FBI requires 4 layers of denim over gelatin to qualify a bullet. Down here in Alabama nobody wears more than one layer year round. So what happens is the FBI is using real hot loads, like +p+, to pass the test. The bullet slows down thru the denim and still penetrates enough. And all the police departments think they have to follow. Then when you shoot the stuff into plain gelatin or the wet newspaper, the velocity is so high the bullet comes apart with poor penetration. But then again I think sometimes FBI stands for Full Bore Idxxxs.

So, before you take my unballistic tests as some kind of holy grail, check all the data you can find. Like goldenloki, ammolab, and firearmstactical. A few other sites also if you search.

Good luck, and aim high.
og

G

·
OG any chance that you could test some 10mm in the future? I would be willing to kick in some $$$ for a box of ammo. I am carrying PMC 170gr JHP in my 10mm. It is only around 17.00 for a box of 50 vs 15 and 12 for a box of 20 Hydra-Shock and PMC Starfire, respectively. The published data on the PMC JHP was much more impressive than the other two listed rounds. I am curious based on your theory (which makes sense) of hot round vs thin median, how the 10mm would fair in the wet pack test.

Just curious....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
10mm...

norf,
I'm thinking Flyer or somebody else here is good at 10mm info.
All I know is that it's really a .40cal bullet in a long case, sort of like a .357magnum would look. So that shows I don't really know, since I don't own a 10mm.
But if that's close to right, then it should be a real super round.
Lot's of folks at glocktalk keep bragging about it.
When I get time I'll do some research and see how far off base I am.

Again, I encourage you to make up a wetpack and try it with your pistol. You will rejoice at the results. I promise.
Besides, with only one wetpack you can shoot as many as 10 rounds into it and test your 10mm and 9mm both on the same day.

og

G

·
Re: 10mm...

oldgranpa said:
Lot's of folks at glocktalk keep bragging about it.
I am not impressed with anything that they have to say over there. I have visited a few times lately and even made some posts but it is definately one sided. I have Glocks and like them but they are not the end all of weapondry. I have found some unseful info at www.bren-ten.com but it seems that the site is not visited much and the responces are not a timely as they are here. I will say that the originator of that site, Nordic has done a nice job. Hopefully it will continue to gain popularity and more people will visit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Isn't that the same for the 44 Mag and 44 Special? You can shoot the 44 Special in a 44 Mag but not the other way around.
Not 100% sure. OG, you would't have any wet pack tests for the 44 would you? Can anyone suggest a good 44 special for a camping gun (around 3-4 hundred) or would it be best to stick with a 38, which I have. (I always take the p-11 too.) thx.

SKB

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, .44 Specials do just fine out of a .44 Magnum.
In fact, Dirty Harry himself said he carried .44 Specials in his M-29! I forget which movie it was, though...
Flyer

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
.44mag

SKB,
No data for .44mag. Limited to what handguns I have and what my friends have. Next range competition Aug 2 I'll ask if anybody has one. Maybe can get them to join me with a wetpack test. Fun idea.
og

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Flyer,

I think it was Magnum Force -- when he was at the range with the vigilante cops -- that he discussed the load he was carrying.

I'm with Midi -- I think he had a special loading for the .44 Magnum...I think a reduced powder charge for less recoil -- basically the same as a .44 Special, though.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
oldgranpa,
Thanks for the great info. I'm still carrying standard Federal Nyclad 125 grain rounds in my Charter Arms .38 snubbie.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes that's it I believe. The 44 special is a lighter load and reduced recoil than the 44 Mag. (like that Charter Arms bulldog 44 special. It ONLY shoots 44 specials.) I looked at the 44 Mag's and they are a bit heavy for camping. S & W has a nice 44 special but it retails for 812.00. Thanks OG for the Wet pack info on the 38 + 357 it helps a bunch. I'll probably stick with my S & W 38 snubby for now and of course the p-11 when in the woods. Don't have a 357, Does anyone have experiance with a Taurus 357 or 44 special? I have the 45 Mellinium but no Taurus wheel guns. Thanks.

SKB

1 - 20 of 28 Posts