Kel-Tec Forum banner

.357 SIG

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  flyandscuba 
#1 ·
I am interested in this caliber primarily on the advise of my uncle who's department has started carrying this round.

Specifically I was looking at the Glock 33, but several people have tried to talk me out of it due to recoil.

I have shot .40 in a glock compact, but not sub-compact and have no issues handling the gun.

What are your opinions?

#2 ·
In most cases, I believe the smaller the gun the bigger the bullet approach is best.
The .357 Sig is an interesting cartridge, and certainly has it's merits. This, though, is out of a full-length barrel. When you reduce the barrel length, you're essentially working your way back down to 9mm +P levels. Same bullet diameter, same average weight.
What we're dealing with in the .357 Sig vs. .40 S&W game is the old Momentum/Diameter vs. Velocity/Shock theory. In full-sized guns, both theories apply... and both rounds have very similiar stopping power.
However... the .40 doesn't CARE how long the barrel is! It's STILL going to have it's weight and diameter even if the barrel's half an inch long.
So... I'd stick with the .40, personally. That's just me, others believe otherwise. I take it a step further, in fact... the Glock I rely on is the G-30, the .45 ACP. In fact, the very slimmest gun Glock makes is the G-36, also a .45.
The most important thing of all, though, is to carry the combination of pistol/cartridge you, personally, feel most comfortable with. The entire First Shot Stop idea is mostly fantasy anyway, and you're going to shoot better and more confidently - placing your hits most accurately - with what you like. Since shot placement has always been the key to winning a gunfight, we shouldn't lose sight of that fact as we debate caliber effectiveness.
The odds are good that, whatever caliber you're carrying, if you're GOOD with it, you're likely to emerge the winner.
Flyer

#3 ·
If you want a .357 Sig., I recommend the Steyr M357. It is, by far, the mildest shooting .357 Sig. on the market. The low bore axis and the beefiness (but yet lack of bulkiness) of it's construction makes it handle the cartridge well. The additional safeties make it unique from the Glock, and the 5lb. trigger is exceptional -- improving with use. Going prices have been far below suggested retail (I paid $303 for mine), but popularity is increasing and available supply decreasing -- causing prices to rise.

I like the .357 Sig. -- it is very accurate, and flatter shooting at longer ranges out of a full-size pistol . I did convert my KT P-40 into a full-time .357 Sig. (conversion kits are still available for $175 -- and one will be given away as a prize in the KTRange Postal match). I personally shoot the "P-357" better than the "P-40". However, as flyer indicated -- the shorter barrels rob some performance to a level of +P or +P+ 9mm.

So, I've become a .45 ACP convert for most of my concealed carry preferences. I really like a recently acquired PT145 Pro. Small, light, SS construction, Night Sights, and a 10+1 capacity of .45 ACP with a slim grip compared to many pistols, and a decent DAO trigger.

The loads I choose for the .357 Sig and .45ACP both have around 550-570 ft/lbs. of rated muzzle energy (Pow'Rball). This being said, at self-defense ranges out of a short barrel -- I'd pick the .45 ACP, but be confident with either.

#7 ·
Yep, made by Taurus. If you decide to get one -- make sure you get the PT145 Millennium PRO and NOT the old Millennium... they are very different internally and the trigger of the Pro is better than the old style.

It's not much bigger than the KT P-40:

I just put another 100 rounds through mine this afternoon at the Bass Pro Outdoor Superstore range in Hollywood, FL. This gun is just getting broken in, but I can consistently get 3-4" groups at 21 feet -- not bad, considering it's a long DAO trigger pull short-barreled pistol.

[/b]

#8 ·
I actually bought a PT145 Millennium (I think its the old type)
for 100.00 from a friend. It was his brothers and he got it from a LEO. He was "afraid" of the .45 and his wife hated it. I love it and have had no problems in about 50 rounds.

However, I thought I herd somewhere there were problems with that pistol. Does anyone know of any problems with the "old type" PT145's. (although I could be wrong)

Sure like the idea of the P-357 conversion kit. Good reason to enter the Postal Match. Thx,

SKB

#10 ·
SKB,

I've been told that there was a group of original Millennium pistols that had their grip/frames made from a bad batch of polymer. Many suffered cracks. A new batch of polymer solved the problems.

Curiously, I noticed that the Millennium and Millennium Pro are still offered/discussed by Taurus. I expect that you could send them an email with your serial number and they'd tell you if your polymer is subject to crack -- or if any other upgrades are recommended/provided under warranty for your pistol.

Kahrpacker,

I've been tempted to do the exact same thing with an S40. If I see one for a good price at a gunshop during my travels -- or at a gun show, I'll be bringing it home and ordering an M357 barrel for my 'smith to cut down.

I bet it shoots real nice! I'm jealous... :evil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.