Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for continued employment at the gun shop, i figured i should educate myself about various aspects of the industry... and i believe one that i have heard a lot about yet am not exceptionally familiar with is the .357 SIG round...

I have gleaned all possible from wikipedia, but beyond that, i'd like to get everyone's opinions on the round and possibly the various pistols that use it.

BTW i found it interesting that it was able to penetrate an 18-wheeler cab and neutralize a threat that a .45 ACP wasn't able to... i guess due to its armor piercing qualities.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm not sure any 18 wheelers are Armored. I mean you are talking about 3/16 sheet metal. That's like shooting a .22 through aluminum foil. The 357 is a very hot round though from what I have read. I believe something like 1360fps compared to a 9mm at 1250 or so. Other than that your on your own.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
The round is essentially a 9mm bullet built with a stronger construction and higher velocity expansion window, inserted in a .40S&W case that has been necked down to fit. It is just as you say, great for penetrating steel and glass. The bullet isn't an "armor piercing" design, just very hot. It is more in favor with LE or anyone else than might need to penetrate intermediate objects to make a hit.

Now if you really want a hot 9mm in a combat pistol, check out 9x25 Dillon - a 10mm Auto necked down to 9mm!

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I called the folks at Dillon, and they are disinclined to change their company name. So it looks like you will have to change yours if you want it to match.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Damn it... Thanks for the help though pocket but it looks like my name has to stay the same... Im going to create a bullet then.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i can see it now... the 9x30 dilly :roll: you'd have to make your own brass tho, or maybe neck down a .50 AE :shock:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
9x99 Dylan JHP 125 grain bullet. I think this would have to be a rifle cartridge. But what a cool ass name.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re:

Dillypwacker said:
9x99 Dylan JHP 125 grain bullet. I think this would have to be a rifle cartridge. But what a cool ass name.
how's the production of this going for ya dilly? lol... with these dimensions you could neck down a .50 BMG casing, which has a case length of 99mm :D would offer a smaller bore version of the .416 barrett...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive heard from sig 357 owners that the bottled rounds feed very reliably. And that probabilities of jamming a round for some reason tend to be null , for some reason the bottle necked versions of rounds in semiautos tend to feed very smoothly. Ive shot both the .40 and sig 357 and for some reason the sig seems to be more accurate in my hands with less recoil, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts
I've seen a few of the commie 7.62x29 pistols that cycled flawlessly. They are pretty hot rounds out of a handgun too.

In the past I toyed with the idea of getting the .357 sig barrel for my P239/40 cal, but figure the .40 cal is "enough" anyway, and also considering the cost/lack of availability of .357 sig ammunition decided against it.

surv

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Re:

THE AMIGO said:
Ive heard from sig 357 owners that the bottled rounds feed very reliably. And that probabilities of jamming a round for some reason tend to be null , for some reason the bottle necked versions of rounds in semiautos tend to feed very smoothly. Ive shot both the .40 and sig 357 and for some reason the sig seems to be more accurate in my hands with less recoil, but that's just me.
It is the principle of "big hole, small peg" in effect here.

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts
Re:

pocketgun said:
THE AMIGO said:
It is the principle of "big hole, small peg" in effect here.
sounds like a topic for the "lounge" :roll:

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Well, I meant the diameter of the 9mm rd vs the 10mm/.40cal going into the same size chamber opening.

Get your mind out of the gutter Surv! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts
Re:

pocketgun said:
Well, I meant the diameter of the 9mm rd vs the 10mm/.40cal going into the same size chamber opening.

Get your mind out of the gutter Surv! :lol:

yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking :wink:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
poor surv, he wasn't as blessed as the rest of us... only a 9mm round to fit into chamber openings :( and only 19mm long too :shock:

·
Registered
119 Posts
You guys crack me up. :lol: Ive got mixed feelings ive always said the bigger the hole the better, but not at the expense of accuracy in my case I can get more hits with a .357 than with a .40 due to the sharper recoil, girly hands geez i dont know. But the .357 round is not a lamer round thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well on caliber choice i've always said i'd probably stop if i got hit w/ a .22... :roll:

but i'm perfectly content with my 9mm for now(since the budget is minimal :oops: )... tho i rather enjoyed shooting the rental .45's yesterday, as well as a coworker's Dan Wesson 1911 ;) might have to look into some bigger holes, since my "penetration ability" has increased :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts