Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I "need" a lever action rifle, for plinking, whitetail, etc.

I'm leaning towards the Marlin because its a side ejector.

Any opinions on the Marlin vs Winchester Lever Action rifles?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If your going for new, buy a Marlin. Their 45-70 is highly regarded.
If your looking for old school, my family has a 1898 Winchester that is three generations old, still shoots exceptionally well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
marlin vs winchester

By all means get the marlin in whatever caliber that floats your boat. I've taken many a whitetail and hog with mine and it has never let me down. All things being equal the marlin is more accurate than the winchester and it's action is much smoother for follow up shots if needed. Not saying the winchester 94 is a bad gun by no means, just the marlin in better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: marlin vs winchester

BUCKSHOT said:
By all means get the marlin in whatever caliber that floats your boat.
OK, my local Trader's Guide has several listed, in both 30/30 ($200 to $275, with scopes/slings) as well as 35 Rem cal ($300 with scope)

I don't know anything about the 35 Rem.

Any suggestions? I have not found any 45-70s locally.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
As a loyal John Browning fan I've gotta say Winchester M-94.
They were the Firstest with the Bestest.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I've never shot the Winchester, but we have a few Marlin 30/30's in the family that are trusted friends indeed.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have both and like both, for different reasons.

Up until a few years ago I only had Winchesters, because that's what I grew up shooting. But my friend, co-worker, and - as of two years ago - best neighbor & shooting/hunting buddy is a Marlin man. He is much more into traditional hunting arms than I - my interests are mostly handguns & "evil black rifles," although I have enough hunting rifles & shotguns around to get the job done & the "5-year-old-cowboy" in me will always have a soft spot for lever guns. :wink: Anyway, he's the primary reason I now have a few Marlins in my collection.

Three years ago I would have said "Get a Winchester" automatically. Today I would say get a Marlin if you plan to use a scope - otherwise, just get whichever one you like the best. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re:

HardShell said:
Three years ago I would have said "Get a Winchester" automatically. Today I would say get a Marlin if you plan to use a scope - otherwise, just get whichever one you like the best. :D
Picked up a really nice used Marlin 30-30 with the bolt block safety and a Tasco fixed 4x scope for $200 tonight.

Now, anyone know where to get the cheapest 30-30 ammo?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Nice. Enjoy.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
31 Posts
30/30 ammo

You can buy ammo for your 30/30 wherever guns and ammo are sold. Depending on your intented use you have 3 bullet weights. .125gr, 150gr, and 170gr. I use the 125 and 150 (125 for deer and 150 for hog's). My favorite load is the win. 150 jhp, but really any of the loads will do fine in your marlin. If you reload and the marlin has their famous micro grove rifling, stay away from lead bullets as they will tumble. The old 30/30 will never die, mainly due to the handy rifles, but on paper the ballistics are not much in comparision to the newer rounds. However the 30/30 has and will continue to be a very good ctg. for deer/hogs/elk/moose. Limit your shots to a max of about 125/150 yds. and put the bullet in the sweet spot and it will do the job. If I were hunting for moose or elk or the larger bears I would probably get a larger caliber, but if I could only have the 30/30 I would use the heavier 170 gr. By the way, there is nothing wrong with the win. 94. They are good relaible guns, but I think you will be much happier with the marlins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.