Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time shoot; got \"maddog's\" problem...

took new SU16 out to range with 120 rounds of walmart 223 whitebox. did the clean routine... clean after every shot, every 3, every 5, every 10, etc... (from 25 yard bench; WOW what a great shot, the right-out-o-the-box accuracy is super!) anyway, when I got to the 'clean after every 10', I started to have FTE problems every 3 or 4 shots. not stuck shells like maddog had with the wolf ammo in his thread... I was able to pull the bolt back and eject the spent shell. but I had to drop the mag to put the now dislodged next shell back into it. (I like jam on toast; don't like guns that jam...)

other info... temp:76. no wind. no shade, full sun.
the barrel did get really hot. (Ouch!)

I only have the 2 factory mags... by the way, how do you keep them in the stock? the extra one fell out (fully loaded) while I was in the shoot 3 and clean part of the break it in right process...

I know I'm asking the right people.... so thanks in advance.

-fish

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Seems as if the factory mags aren't working up to par lately...
Check the lips of your mags and make sure there isn't any plastic flashing left over from the molding process, and that the follower moves freely. In fact, just take the danged things apart and clean them well, then put 'em back together (without any lube!) and see if it makes a difference.
I have a feeling that the mag followers aren't coming up quite fast enough... and a good cleaning to remove the shipping gunk from the inside might be the cure.
Also, you've gotta invest in some good GI 30 rounders. They're really the only mags that'll stay put inside the stock, and you KNOW you want 'em, anyway! 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have heard that white box is dirty. I have not found this to be true though. I would make sure the chamber and bolt raceway are clean. Never seen a SU-16 jam so I am not sure what else it could be. The AR guys here may have some input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flyer, I'll take the mags apart and clean them... looks like I just slide the bottom off and try not to get hit by the spring when it comes out, right?!? I did a quick inspection and doesn't seem to be any plastic flashing left over from the molding process. hope this helps.

it sounds like no problem with the GImags? I saw Steve LaFlame (sp?) has em on sale... those are the ones I KNOW I want,,, right?

I ordered a 1000 rounds from ammo man of the Q3131A, haven't tried them yet.

-fish

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, just slide the bottom off with your thumb, keeping the thumb in place on the bottom. This way it'll contact the spring before it hops out and heads for parts unknown.
Flyer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts