Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Operating on the assumption that a man can never own too many KT's, AR-15's or 1911A1's I have spent the last 3 weeks researching. The Dan Wesson is interesting but he changed the extractor design and I don't know what I think about that.

Right now the entry level competiton models from Springfield and Kimber are in the lead (5"). I really like the sights on the TGO3 but it has an aluminum lower and I will be burning tons of hardball and am unsure about lightweight match guns. They are easier to swing onto a new target but tend to take longer to recover the sight picture (at least for me).

http://www.springfield-armory.com/TGO.shtml

Anyone with any recent acquisitions? Opinions on aluminum framed 1911's? What are all of you match hardballers using?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got 2 new Springfields, a WW II Mil-Spec and a Stainless Mil-Spec. The WW II is still stock andon the Stainless I've added a new MSH so I could go to a reduced power mainspring, other then that it's still stock other then grips, both have been 100% so far, about 400 rounds thru each. I've also have 2 Kimbers and 3 Colts, but they are all steel framed also. The only aluminum frame guns I've owned were a Springfield Champion LW and a Para......I didn't care for either one, but it didn't really haave anything to do with the frame. It seems the DW started off with a BANG.....but has started to flounder and there are quite a few people that ended up not being too happy. You might check the DW forum on 1911forum.com, if you havn't already.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
67 Posts
Besides the brand cleverly mentioned in my sig line, (those are the best-ever-bang-for-the-buck 1911, IMO), I'm mostly into Colts followed by Springfield these days. Most of my Colts have been the economy-grade 1991 series these last several years, lightly tweaked.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I like my Springfield

I have the stainless steel Mil Spec (model PB9151L) newly made by Imbel Brazil for Springfield. Serial N46xxxx. Called 7 dealers first and visited 4 before I found a good price.
It works great out-of-box, no mods other than put rosey wood grips on it for looks. Carry it at the range in an IWB holster.
Tried a Charles Daly also and it was nice except it was used and had a worn extractor. Otherwise would have got it too.
The 1911 model pistols are a fine choice for target and home or car personal defense. Not easy to carry. Kel Tec best for that.
just my 2 bits,
og

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
W00H00

OK. Did it.

I just picked up a Springfield Black SS 1911A1 Loaded (model PX9152L). Man this thing has a ton of goodies on it. This is my third 1911 and by far the sexiest. The only mod I anticipate is to change out the bidextrous ambisexual safety with a left side only. I'll post a range report ASAP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a classic flyandscuba. Nothing better than tried and true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It amazing how much the PX9152L looks like
my Kimber Eclipse Pro-II. It replaced my
Sig-P220. The Sig was hard to give up but the
Kimber made quite an impression, accurate and
a pleasure to shoot.

DetroitShooter

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Valtros are great...
BUT, they've got that danged full-length guide rod system. Take it out, and you've basically de-tuned the gun, and it doesn't function right with a standard spring system.
My favorite? Les Baer. LOVE 'em.
The folks at the factory can be cranky... but I believe they "crank" out the best 1911s on the market.
Flyer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay on the PX9152L range report. I got talked into shooting a match and was sidetracked. Ok. OK. It didn't take much talking.

Fit and finish are great and I can find no cosmetic or mechanical flaws. The black plastic factory grips are screaming to be replaced with a set from Carbon Creations. Then again I may go rubber with a slight palm swell. Or a nice exotic wood with a classic double diamond pattern. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I fired 207 rounds of PMC and Speer Lawman 230 grain hardball. The 2 factory mags both had a tendency to porpoise the last round about 1 in every 3 magazines. No such problem occured using USGI mags. I tried some competition followers in the factory tubes but they felt sticky. So the factory mags are headed back to SA for exchange. In the interim I have added pads to a stack of USGI mags and ordered some Wilson #47 10-rounders for L10 match use.

I tried limp wristing, high gripping, low gripping - you name it and had no problems. The trigger tests at 5.3 pounds with very little creep and is consistent. There is no slide rattle. The sights seem to retain their setting well.

Since my initial session was focused on break-in and reliability I have not plugged it into the rest and tested on paper. But consistently hitting the 3" disk on a steel target was easy in slow fire from 25 feet. Attempts at shooting from the table over a sandbag were suspended when my arthritis reminded me who was in charge. No pain from a conventional one or two handed standing stance though. Still trying to figure that one out.

Once I get past 400 rounds I will switch to some premium ammo and post some targets shot from the rest.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Okay, here's two of mine.
First is my favorite, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch. Below is a stock Mil-Spec 1911. And, of course, a P-3AT to keep it site-related!
Flyer

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anybody have info on the S&W 645? I'm being offered one and would like to know more about it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anybody have info on the S&W 645? I'm being offered one and would like to know more about it.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Smith 645 is an excellent, stainless double action auto.
It was extremely accurate, and was only discontinued 'cause the Third Generation 4506 came out shortly thereafter. The Third Generation pistols had greatly improved ergonomics.
For a DA .45, the Smith 645 and 4506 are hard to beat.
Flyer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts