Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you all might like to see my 1911 Project gun. I put it together for $216. I paid $99 for the Caspian frame, $51 for the slide(it has an odd epoxy/paint like coating but looks fine and is super durable), $13 for pin kit, $12 for grips, $20 for grip screws/bushings, $21 for mil spec safety, slide stop, & mag release. Misc parts from a salvage junk frame. What do you think? It does go bang reliably too!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Looks good!!! That's a fine job.
That's a serious magazine pad! Is it just a pad, or a round extension?
Do you know the slide manufacturer? Most companies making slides with the serrations straight (rather than slanted) are only Colt, very early commercial Springfield Armory, Auto-Ordnance, and now-banned Norinco. (Of course it could be a surplus G.I. slide, made by any one of a dozen makers).
Interestingly, if it's an Auto-Ordnance slide, it was most likely made on Dan Wesson's new machinery.
That's a Caspian frame, all right! That's right where the finger groove should be... note how similiar it is to the groove I put on my custom P-3AT grip! It keeps the muzzle down on target where it belongs.
Anyhow, it looks nice. Everyone should have at least one 1911!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Flyer! The slide has no markings as they have been buffed off. the first groves have some flat spots where it was polished. Might be one of the argentine imports? The mag is a true Colt factory 10 round. very cool mag and prized above all my other 1911 mags. Even over my Chipy and WWII mag. Interesting note on the Caspian frame. I bought it from Mike Detty(sp?) who is supposed to be a relitivly famous writer. That finger grove does indeed make for enhanced recoil control. My lock time seems to be faster than my Dads Colt series 80.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Chase! Welcome to the group. The best place I have found so for is Ebay. Yep Ebay! Try a seller named reddogxxalaskan He has almost everything for 1911's at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the Spur after the little Vampire bit me once to often! :shock: I practice a Tap then Rack drill so don't need to be able to cock by hand. As for letting the hammer down I unload the gun. By this I mean remove the chambered round, as I leave a full mag in at all times. I will then let the hammer down to half cock (empty chamber)and that is it. Thanks for the praise! This has been my first attempt at building. I lucked out in that the frmae is slightly over sized and fits the older Mil Spec loose slides well. I am thinking on sending the slide and frame to Jack for a Hard Chrome finish, but like the two tone so much I may just have the frame done. What do you all think? HC slide & frame or just frame? oh and as the slide has no markings I am going to have P-45 engraved on it! :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im thinking of building on a $115 Essex frame using a $50 Brazilian slide from sarcoinc.com (maybe using a kit) The extras will be a Nowlin trigger group and commander hammer-(from Reddog) @$60 An EFK buffer system @ $50. And an extended extractor and tougher firing pin. Before it gets assembled the Frame/slide and thumb safety/slide-stop will be sent to Jack for Nickel plating--the rosewood grips will look great next to it. Gunnut- I would just do both the frame and slide, knowing Jack he wouldnt charge much more to do the whole thing at once. Might think about doing your safety/stop while your at it too. Jack lives just North of me so I can drive up there and save a few days-I know Ill be getting anxious by then. After plating I should still be under $500 which isnt bad considering what it is--and Ill never sell it anyway. Have you been to a range with yours yet? If so, what kind of groups are you making? These should both be outstanding guns. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can hit a Bullseye target in the black at 10yards every time. I have not been to the range since the slide fitting, but if it is as good as with the old slide I will be happy. I like the 45 for up close in house ranges. I think I'll drop Jack a line to check on the cost. Gosh I sure like the two tone but HC doe look good. If you look close you'll see the stop and other parts are Bumper quality chrome plated. Don't ask where or when, just know it was not me. I think I'll keep them for the oddity appeal :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you guys sure its a Caspian frame and not a Safari Arms?
Caspian did a couple of these but Safari arms did MANY more........just curious?

Nice looking gun......hope it shoots well for you for a long time.

Shoot well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts