Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Anybody using the +1 mag extensions?

Are the replacement springs necessary for reliable feeding?

The local dealer has three sets at a bargain price... 8)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I use them with my P357. No new springs in mine. The only thing I do to ensure good reliability is to only put 9 rounds in the carry mag (+ one round in the chamber) and 10 in the spare mag -- even though they will both hold 10-rounds. The thought being -- after the last shot of the carry mag, the slide will be locked in the rear position. Placing the loaded spare mag in and releasing the slide will strip the 10th round from the new mag, leaving 9 in the mag.

Why do I do this? The +1 extensions will give you the ability to hold 10 rounds of .40/.357Sig -- but it is a tight fit. A full 10-round mag will lock in the KT, but it too is a very tight fit requiring significant upward pressure to get it to lock in. Myself, and some others have experienced feed problems with a full 10-round magazine. Once the capacity is down to 9-rounds -- things work great.

So, I sacrifice 1-round of "capability" and effectively carry 20 instead of 21 (two full mags of 10 plus one in the chamber). But, I know that I will not have a FTF after the first shot!

G

·
Fly, I am seriously considering getting the .357 sig barrel for my pending P40. I carry a Glock 32 when I am off becasue I love the .357 Sig round.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
norfdet,

I personally shoot better with the .357 Sig in the KT. Although I am carrying hot loads (1600 fps), the lighter weight bullet seems to produce less punishing recoil than the heavier .40 cal.
to me.

Nothing beats the power in such a light and compact package. Concealed under a shirt in a Fobus paddle holster, I almost forget it is there... A Fobus combo mag/Surfire paddle is on my other side.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fly'

Thanks for the reply... I take it you're not a fan of the "Tactical Reload"? :p

I'm not one to demand 10 rounds it they work better with 9... but do the 9 round mags work with 9, or are they better with only 8?

If the standard mag works at 9 rounds, buying the +1 would be superflous, I expect.

I just bought this .40 today on the way to work, so I haven't had a chance to see how it performs.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
As I've posted before - I'm not a big fan of the P-40 mags or +1 extensions. I use them loaded with 10 rounds just like flyandscuba - only for backups. I carry my P-40 with a P-11 mag (8+1) that has a finger rest. It works for me. Others have not had the same success with P-11 mags that I have, but I do have Wolff extra power springs in the mags so that might make a difference.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I had more reliable feeding using P-40 mags that did not have the +1 extensions. No problem with 9 rounds. That 10th round with the +1 extension is just too tight to strip off reliably. But get this - some ammo works better than others and I never had a problem with Win value loaded 10+1.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
9x19,

I chose to use the +1 extensions primarily for the added gripping surface (unlike Keys, I don't like the pinky rest). The added cartridge capacity was a bonus.

The standard mag with 9 rounds has always worked fine for me when I used one.

I haven't personally used the P-11 mags with 8-rounds. Some have said they have to spread the feed lips out a little to use the bigger cartridge. P-40 mags are abundant at fair prices.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again, guys.

The pistol came with three P-40 mags, and two of them have the pinky rests. I like them on my P-11s, so I guess I'll stick with them on the P-40.

Hopefully, I'll have some time on Friday to put a few rounds thru it and see how it performs. A call to KT for a .357 barrel may be in order as well. :p

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
See my thread on why I prefer P-11 mags because of the more stable follower. I did a little P-11 mag feed lips spreading way back when I first got them, so that may be why I have no problems with them feeding .40 S&W in the P-40. It certainly made them feed 9mm in the P-11 a lot more reliably.

http://ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=641

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts