SU16CA Accessory / Modifications Question

Thread: SU16CA Accessory / Modifications Question

Junior KTranger

SU16CA Accessory / Modifications Question

I just got a CA version of the SU16. I plan on attaching a red dot and am going to replace the magazines with pmag. I would like any other advice you may have.

I'm told that the barrel gets hot fast and that accuracy suffers? Is that true? What do you do to compensate? The dude on GunGuytv recommends a rubber grommet for the end of the barrel but sadly doesn't link to it or give details on that.

Some online say you should replace the extractor with an AR variant as it's a cheap solution that reduces jamming. Is that true?

What would you recommend as a muzzle break?

Junior KTranger
    Just picked up the same model and am in the same boat as you are.
    Don't have any first hand experience, but some of my internet research suggests this:

I'm considering upgrading the rear sight to the "Tech Sight" brand. (Newbie status won't let me post the link)
    Google "Tech Sight SU16" should get you to the website.

Not sure about a red dot scope, I have always used the iron sights.

"the dude on GunGuytv recommends a rubber grommet for the end of the barrel but sadly doesn't link to it or give details on that."
    Saw the same video. From what I understand this is called a 'harmonic balancer" and is disputed on whether or not this actually helps the accuracy.

"Some online say you should replace the extractor with an AR variant as it's a cheap solution that reduces jamming. Is that true?"
    Varied results on this. Some have no problems with stovepiping, FFF, etc. I'd like to think this was an early problem that Kel Tec addressed and corrected in later models. I'll post up my experience once I get to the range with my weapon.

I may be inclined to remove the plastic surrounding the charging handle to avoid jams, but again will wait for results from going to the range.

HTH.

Sponsored links