How I learned to stop worrying and love the AWB.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How I learned to stop worrying and love the AWB.

How I learned to stop worrying and love the AWB.

Call me nuts, but I think all this talk of the AWB is going to be a good thing for this country. Sure, I have a healthy amount of caution and doubt that this could end in disaster, but overall I remain optimistic. Let me explain.

As we all know, ARs, their mags, and their ammo are scarcer than hen's teeth right now. Ditto for mags and guns of any stripe that even look like a Democrat might squint their eyes at them. Yesterday I read an official statement from some company (I forget which) that said in 72 hours, they sold 3.5 YEARS worth of P-Mags. Membership for pro-gun organizations is soaring, and anti-gun boycotts are at an all time high. Even past allies such as Dicks and CTD have their heads on the chopping block. Any company even hinting of cooperating with a gun-grabbing agenda had better watch its ass.

People who were smart enough to see the writing on the wall and stock up on more gear than they needed are now being rewarded with profits so high others are accusing them of "Price-gouging." Price gouging?! The guys making hilariously high profits on what were yesterday's sale items are the same guys who've been ridiculed for years for putting so much away because they were "Paranoid hoarders" preparing for a ban that "Will never happen." They're also the same guys who've been advising everyone who would listen to stock up while you can because another ban is always a possibility. "Price-gouging?" No, friends, it is the price of ignorance we are seeing people pay. Don't hate the ant, little grasshoppers. He warned you!

At any rate, it takes a long bath in the fire to temper steel. It takes heat and pressure to make diamonds. What we are seeing now is a galvanizing of society. More people now than ever are finally pulling their heads out of their asses and admitting that yes, Dorothy, they DO want to take our guns away! Call it a very rude wake-up call. Call it a painful slap in the face necessary to force people to pay attention. The reality is this AWB talk is the worst thing any politician could have introduced if they were serious about getting rid of these things!

And what will the end result be? My prediction is the AWB will go nowhere. This version is too draconian, Democrats are terrified of the consequences, Republicans are already disinclined to go along... and a dozen other reasons. A mag ban would have a better chance but I still don't see it happening. I could be wrong, of course. And don't forget, all this "National dialogue" is not helping the anti-gun cause. Gun control arguments are emotional rhetoric which can't stand in the light of reason. Having people actually discuss gun control is definitely NOT what you want if you'd like to push an anti-gun agenda! I've already been to several random public places and overheard people talking about this. The overwhelming consensus of "The man on the street" is that more guns are the answer to mass shootings and an AWB will not stop any future tragedies. Of course, if I were in NYC, I'd probably hear the opposite.

Ultimately I think we are going to end up with the following:

More Gun owners.
    Better educated gun owners and a better educated public.
    More public sympathy towards gun ownership.
    Better equipped and stocked-up gun owners.
    WAY more self-defense weapons and accessories owned by the public.
    A lasting and ever-increasing public distaste for the concept of gun control.

So yeah, maybe I'm crazy, but tell me again how a bill with very little chance of passing, which has strengthened the gun owning public a thousand-fold in such a short time, and is the final indisputable evidence that our fight is far from over... is a bad thing!
    Rocko likes this.

Junior KTranger
    [QUOTE=London;96022] Ultimately I think we are going to end up with the following:

More Gun owners.
    Better educated gun owners and a better educated public.
    More public sympathy towards gun ownership.
    Better equipped and stocked-up gun owners.
    WAY more self-defense weapons and accessories owned by the public.
    A lasting and ever-increasing public distaste for the concept of gun control.

I see many of your points London. Many people I work with that never showed much interest in guns before are now freaking out because they feel like their right that they never exercised before is being taken away. So all of these talks are birthing 2nd amendment arguments from people who never really "cared" before. So it may end up doing the opposite of what the AWB people think.
    Rocko likes this.

London,

I don't have as much faith as you that nothing of note will happen.

We have seen time and again, our "Representatives" in Congress disregarding the Constitution and being bought off when they take a stand.

We have seen the balance of powers in the Government toyed with through executive orders, and judges who legislate from the bench, or disregard their Constitutional duties to send a message.

I also don't trust a populace that would re-elect someone as corrupt, or at least inept, as Obama. They have proven that they are willing to give up their freedom for the mere promise of security.

Examples of all of that can be found in the passage of Obama Care alone.

We also have a Media that is, by and large, on the side of the gun banners. Amplifying their call to disarmament, and muffling the sounds of sanity and reason.

Given all of the above, and more, I have a much more bleak expectation for the next few months than do you.
    Kansas53 and davidrayt like this.
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

Well, guys, it's been a months since I posted this. Anyone felling any better yet?

Last I heard there aren't even enough votes in the Senate for an AWB to pass and the legislation introduced is about magazines and background checks with no mention of self-defense weapons. Not that those are what I consider to be acceptable, but it seems this anti-gun thing is quickly losing steam.

No Assault-Weapons Ban in Senate Bill? - By Charles C. W. Cooke - The Corner - National Review Online

Looks like Piers Morgan may be "Deporting" himself after all!

KTRangePro
    Until the next nut fires up the liberal press. If an honest citizen stops him/her the press will either ignore the incident or remind us that if there were no guns then no one would have been hurt.

Any way I would rather have a quiet market place where people bought what they wanted and needed not what they thought would be out of stock forever next week.
    Trust In God my boys but keep your powder dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Fred View Post
    Until the next nut fires up the liberal press. If an honest citizen stops him/her the press will either ignore the incident or remind us that if there were no guns then no one would have been hurt.

Any way I would rather have a quiet market place where people bought what they wanted and needed not what they thought would be out of stock forever next week.
    Kind of like this incident, for instance. Anyone heard of it???

PRICE MIDDLE SCHOOL SHOOTING NO HELP TO DEMOCRATS | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com

I won't be letting my guard down or stop worrying until we have a Congress and a President that actually begin to repeal some of the overreaching, unconstitutional laws that have already been passed.
    davidrayt likes this.
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    People who were smart enough to see the writing on the wall and stock up on more gear than they needed are now being rewarded with profits so high others are accusing them of "Price-gouging." Price gouging?! The guys making hilariously high profits on what were yesterday's sale items are the same guys who've been ridiculed for years for putting so much away because they were "Paranoid hoarders" preparing for a ban that "Will never happen." They're also the same guys who've been advising everyone who would listen to stock up while you can because another ban is always a possibility. "Price-gouging?" No, friends, it is the price of ignorance we are seeing people pay. Don't hate the ant, little grasshoppers. He warned you!
    I definitely agree with you when it comes to guns and mags that will potentially be banned. However, it's ridiculous that particular LGS (at least in my area) are charging $100 more for PF9s than they were a few months ago. I'm not contesting a business's right to do so, just think they're taking advantage by raising prices on everything... especially when other LGS are still charging what they used to.

Football tickets or firearms...scalping is morally wrong...ALWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisLemansky View Post
    I definitely agree with you when it comes to guns and mags that will potentially be banned. However, it's ridiculous that particular LGS (at least in my area) are charging $100 more for PF9s than they were a few months ago. I'm not contesting a business's right to do so, just think they're taking advantage by raising prices on everything... especially when other LGS are still charging what they used to.
    The avalanche of panic-buying started with what was most likely to be banned and spread out from there. The newest AWB was rumored to have language which would ban all semi-automatic firearms and all firearms with detachable magazines. Been to an Academy lately? The handgun shelves remind me of the Sahara.

Many gun manufacturers are getting orders faster than they can make guns even when running at 100%. The price is likely increased simply because of the market rather than price-gouging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored links