Pmr30 firing pin snapped!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pmr30 firing pin snapped!

Junior KTranger

Pmr30 firing pin snapped!

Took the gun to the range.loaded up and fired 28rds than click!! Looked down and seen part of the firing pin. Anybody know how to change the pin? A $4 part. Anybody experience this.

Doesn't seem to be anything on the internet. A shop manual (in addition to an owner's manual) would be fantastic.

That had to be disappointing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Arkgiant View Post
    Took the gun to the range.loaded up and fired 28rds than click!! Looked down and seen part of the firing pin. Anybody know how to change the pin? A $4 part. Anybody experience this.
    Getting to the firing pin is easy. Replacement may be a tiny bit harder. With the slide off and the recoil guide and buffer and barrel block and barrel removed, turn the slide over and remove the 4 hex screws holding the rear sight on the rail. Be careful when you pry the nylon cover off the slide that you don't lose the tiny spring. The firing pin MAY be able to be removed from the rear, but it MAY require removing 2 axis pins??? Give it a look. Mine didn't want to come out easily, so I didn't remove it. If yours is already broken, it may slip right out, then the new one MIGHT be able to be pushed into place??? Post a photo if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkgiant View Post
    I finally got assistance with this question and here is the complete procedure for removing and replacing the firing pin.

Getting to the firing pin (118) is quick and easy. Replacement may prove a little harder. Remove the assembly pin (111) the slide assembly (552) the recoil spring guide (160) the barrel block (151) the buffer (153) and the barrel (104). Set the grip assembly aside. Remove the 4 hex screws on the rear slide cover (154). Be careful when you pry the rear slide cover from the slide so you don't lose the tiny extractor spring (184) that fits into a space next to the trigger beneath the slide cover (the PMR-30 Pistol Parts Diagram in the owner's manual indicates 2 extractor springs, but there is only 1 extractor sping). Caution about losing tiny parts: Punch out the 2 axis pins (181) with a 1/16" punch and remove the small metal block (lid) that sits above the tip of the firing pin and holds the left and right extractors (183 & 184) and now you can remove the firing pin. Assembly is in reverse order. If you anticipate trying this procedure you should probably order 2 extractor axis pins and 2 extractor springs when you order the firing pin because they are hard to find when they go flying.

Many thanks to 1A2KEY601, KTOG member from Minnesota for his assistance with this post
    denverpmr30 and bamlowrider like this.

Junior KTranger
    Thanks KTGuy,
    Great Description. I figured this out before reading your post, but I appreciate having a good procedure in writing because us old guys do forget and I won't have to relearn. The pin on my Wife's PMR30 broke today, so I get to do it again. Unfortunately the factory is out of stock. Guess I'll get several when I can, along with extra buffers, take down pins, and extractor pins and springs - just in case.

I'm over 5,000 rounds through my PMR-30 and have become very good at "fixin" the sweet little gun. I carry spare firing pins and extractor axis pins, assembly pins, and buffers because they will break sooner or later and I don't want a failure to stop my shooting adventure if I don't have to. Once you take it apart and you figure out how to put it back together, it gets easier and quicker to do the next time.

Junior KTranger
    WOW, it's been 7 years since someone last posted on this thread!
    I hope the firing pin has been improved since then.
    I have looked into getting some tool steel stock from McMaster Carr to make a few of my own and will buy the extractors and firing pin as a template.
    Thing is, the firing pin spring and the extractor springs look to be the same, and the exploded parts diagram lists them both as the same spring (part #184 @ $0.96) but the company lists the firing pin spring as #SU16-384 @ $1.73.
    Looks like for $30 or so you can get spares of most anything you could break or lose when taking it apart.
    Oh, and the receiver looks like it might be easy to duplicate so I'll give that a try as well.
    Build your own PMR-30 from a 0% receiver anyone?
    Last edited by archangel; 05-17-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Junior KTranger
    I'm game. Let me know if you do the firing pin thing, I'm interested, if you want to sell any. I just bought my first pmr-30, and having issues right out of the box. Waiting on some upgrades right now. If this doesn't fix the failure to feed problem, I'm going back to a Ruger 9mm

Junior KTranger
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisstuff View Post
    I'm game. Let me know if you do the firing pin thing, I'm interested, if you want to sell any. I just bought my first pmr-30, and having issues right out of the box. Waiting on some upgrades right now. If this doesn't fix the failure to feed problem, I'm going back to a Ruger 9mm
    There are several components to the feeding issue, and a little bit from more than one can make it near impossible to find a one part replaced solution.
    It could be one, too, or all three.
    1: The magazine hight might not be high enough to feed to the feed ramp and it's the magazine release button that is the issue, Mcarbo makes an upgraded one that holds the magazine higher and is also recessed a bit so you will be less likely to accidentally pop the magazine out while gripping it.
    2: The feed ramp is plastic and not the best shape for feeding all types of rounds, Mcarbo makes a CNC machined Stainless Steel replacement.
    3: The slide spring is not very strong, they make a replacement that is a little stronger, and Mcarbo make one.

My gun has never had an issue to date except 1 fail to feed and one funky primer (was hit hard but did not go off until the second strike was made elsewhere on the rim)

mcarbo dot com has the upgraded parts you need.
    Extra Power Recoil Spring $14.95
    Stainless Steel Feed Ramp $39.95
    Magazine Release Button $29.95
    They also have
    Magazine Speed loader $14.95
    KEL-TEC PMR-30 Grips Textured Rubber Adhesive $14.95

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored links