Best and/or Worst Known Ammo for a PF-9, please?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best and/or Worst Known Ammo for a PF-9, please?

Best and/or Worst Known Ammo for a PF-9, please?

Does anyone know of a good link (or simply know the info out-right without linking) for the best and/or worst known ammo for our beloved lil PF-9...please?

Thanks in advance,
    g...
    Matthew 7:1

KTrange Contributor
    Worst: Steel cased anything; WWB is really dirty (in any gun) and will likely negatively affect performance.

Best: YMMV, try a variety and use what works and makes you happy.

For carry: in my 9mm (though everything has worked thus far...) I like Golden Sabers in the heaviest configuration possible, i.e. 147gr. Simple matter of slinging as much lead as possible toward the BG to inflict the most damage possible and stop the threat with the least defensive action.

For the range: cheap and clean (cheap? yea right ). I use the red boxed Federal from Wal-Mart, it's been great stuff and at $10.50/50rds, it's hard to find a better price anymore, and prices are allegedly going up over the next several months again.

Thanks Banana-man...I am assuming the "WWB" = "Winchester White Box", but not sure what "YMMV" is though (please)?

My understanding (from reading ONLY though) is that there has been considerable difficulty with the 147-grain - "anything" (?) - or was that just in the early-builds, of the weapon, please (and I DO very much like your "simple matter" philosophy of; "slinging as much lead as possible toward the BG to inflict the most damage possible and stop the threat with the least defensive action" ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

KTrange Contributor
    Yes, WWB = Winchester White box = nasty shit.

YMMV = your mileage may vary.

147gr is generally the heaviest 9mm bullet weight; I don't have a PF9, these recommendations are a bit of a generalization. I do believe I remember hearing about them having issues w/ the longer OAL of the 147gr bullets, but I'd still prefer to confirm one way or the other through my own personal testing. When it comes down to it, that's all that matters anyway .

my early model PF9 didn't really care for the 147's, but handled 124's very well. I don't really care for the 147's in the 9mm so it really didn't matter.

And as for WWB.... that's what I shoot more of than anything else. I've had very few problems with it and don't find it any "dirtier" than Federal American Eagle... and a lot more consistant. Even though it's "foreign" made, I always found Magtech to be very reliable and consistant in all my firearms. Remington UMC and PMC are both decent suppliers, and generally available. I will NOT buy Wolf, Tula or Monarch. There's still plenty of better options than commie ammo.

surv
    ???

Thank you gentlemen.

I've only ever purchased one box of 9mm ammo (#100-box), and it was at the gun show that I bought the S&W Sigma that I owned for a short while up until about a year ago.

I'm about to finish the box off, and am lloking...since the chances are, what, I don't now, 10,000 to 1 (25,000 to 1??) that I am going to actually need any defensive ammo - so, I am really only shootin' at paper - so I don't think I need anything special.

I would like to have a small box of defensive ammo, to keep a mag full - on the nightstand, in addition to something relatively inexpensive for target/practice, correct?

So lets see if I've read well:

I want HP for home-defense protection, correct?

That only leaves weight (grains?) and brand, I reckon ...?

KTrange Contributor
    Ew, Sigma... Better than a Hi-Point, but still a nasty trigger pull.

Yes, hollowpoints for defensive purposes; our boys in the sandbox will testify that 9mm ball ammo does not do well at stopping a determined attacker.

I would recommend putting at least a box or so of your choice of hollowpoints through the gun before setting some aside for a defensive magazine, just to make sure they will work with the gun (inexpensive design means Kel-Tecs tend to be picky eaters).

For plinking, I'll second what Surv said: no commie ammo for non-commie guns.

Also some great practice is to get a dummy round and practice dry-firing... It helps you get used to the trigger pull and not react to recoil... Which is a big influence on accuracy, on these small guns especially.

Ok, thanks again.

Now, as I am pretty naive (green) when it comes to this stuff, can you all tell me if this *below) is a good deal, please? I'm thinking there has GOT to be just the wee lil teensy-tiny bit of HYPE in this ad...!?!

9MM WINCHESTER 124 GRAIN
    FMJ = FULL METAL JACKET
    PART # RA9124N

Positive Functioning - No Expansion
    Good Accuracy - No Barrel Leading
    Cartridge: 9mm Nato
    Muzzle Velocity: 1,185

RANGER PACKAGING
    MANUFACTURED BY WINCHESTER

THIS IS THE BEST 9MM AMMO
    MONEY CAN BUY IN THE WORLD !

NOW AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC

Part Number #9MM-NATO124-500, -1000

$149- 500 rounds.
    DELIVERED

$269- 1,000 rounds.
    DELIVERED

$1295- 5,000 rounds.
    DELIVERED

The Winchester Ranger ammo is good s/d design (I carry it in my Sig P239 40), but so is Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber (I use it for carry in my .45), Hornady XTP (been reloading for 9mm with the XTP bullets and they feed very well) and quite a few others, including Magtech SD ammo. Prices can vary considerably, but for a reliability test of your PF9 I would recommend picking up at least one box of 25 of of any of the above, and after you have proven reliability of the handgun with good fmj ammunition (a couple hundred rounds of flawless activity try the SD ammo. When testing the SD ammo, I would recommend it be with a clean gun, as that should be the way you keep it for SD uses. With such a variation of ogive and meplat (physical dimensioning) between the full metal jacket projectiles and jacketed hollow point projectiles, different firearms can handle them, or NOT handle them the same. One of the highest quality manufacturers of pocket pistols, Larry Seecamp, originally built his LWS25 (.25 cal) and LWS32 (.32 acp) and later his LWS380 (.380 acp) around a single brand/style of jhp ammunition. Nothing much else would cycle through his rather expensive handguns, and there probably wasn't any fmj ammunition made at the time that was short enough to fit inside the magazines as they were also designed strictly for the shorter length jhp rounds. On the other hand, the well loved John Moses Browning 1911 pistol was originally designed around the ball nosed .45 acp round for military purposes. The angle of the feed ramp was such that fmj ammunition fed totally reliably, but the agressive edges and flat meplat geometry (nose of the projectile) just wouldn't play nicely with the original military spec feed ramp. It wasn't until the public got all excited about the 1911 as a s/d weapon that a few manufacturers started tinkering with the JMB design and re-shaped the feed ramp to allow use of jhp ammunition, and even still it is a real good idea to run quite a few rounds of jhp through a 1911 before it can be proven to cycle properly. Most firearms, due to design, will have their quirks on what ammunition tends to work best in them. The smaller and lighter the pistol is, the more susceptable to ammunition related problems it will most likely be.

Get yourself 3-4 boxes of good brass cased American made target/range grade fmj, and at least one box of good quality jhp ammo, and get to work. If your ammo budget is tight (as is the case with most of us these days), put that 150-200 rounds of ball ammo through your PF9 to prove reliability before you start looking for the magic jph rounds. Then, shoot at least 2 magazines (clean gun) of that box of 25 expensive jhp rounds through to prove them. If you have any problem with the jhp's, put a few mags of the proven fmj's down range to prove to yourself that the gun is not to blame. If the two mags of jhp function properly you can save that last magazine of the box of 25 for your initial sd/hd load. As money allows, next trip take another box of the same ammo, shoot the magazine of ammo you've kept loaded and one more magazine full from the new box. This will instill confidence in the reliability of the gun/ammo combination, and now you will have enough sd ammo to keep two loaded magazines at hand. at a buck a pop, most of us can't spend a lot of range time with our favorite sd ammo, but it is a good idea to at least experience a magazine full every 2-3 months.

did I ramble enough?

surv

edit to add: don't exclude 115 gr ammo for target/range. Unless it's reloads (which I am thoroughly enjoying building now ), I almost exclusively buy WWB 100 round value packs of 115 gr fmj 9mm ammo.
    ???

I dunno, did ya ramble enough for you? Haha, no, I see it as ALL Good info/data (I have MUCH to learn!!!) - though I will necessarily need to go back and re-read it as I am in the middle of at least two other things at the moment (FAAAAAR TOO OFTEN seems to be the case for me ).

I must ask though right-off the bat: What exactly, please, is the "S/D" that you referenced several times, please?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored links