Firing Pin Does Not Extend Past Firing Pin Hole

Thread: Firing Pin Does Not Extend Past Firing Pin Hole

Junior KTranger

Firing Pin Does Not Extend Past Firing Pin Hole

I removed the extractor screw and put some Lock-Tite on it bcause it was loosening during each range session causing failures to extract.

Now, when I push the firing pin in from the back of the slide,with the slide locked back, the firing pin does not extend past the firing pin hole. It is flush with it. Is this the way it should work or should it extend past the firing pin hole?

Thanks.

have you tried shooting it?

I believe you have discovered how an inertial driven firing pin works

I'll leave that explaination to the more technically astute members.

surv
    ???

Junior KTranger

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor
    have you tried shooting it?

I believe you have discovered how an inertial driven firing pin works

I'll leave that explaination to the more technically astute members.

surv
    Not since I tightened the extractor screw, which I did right after I returned from a visit to the range yesterday.

So, you are saying all is OK with the firing pin?

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

ron

the inertia driven firing pin is shorter than the firing pin tunnel in which it resides. On impact by the hammer it is driven forward into the spring, and it's "inertia" carries it on through the hole in the breech face into the primer. You can't push the pin with your finger enough to expose it through the breach face.

That brings up a standard warning for KT pistol users.... don't dry fire without a snap cap. The over travel of the firing pin will cause the shoulder of the pin to contact the retaining screw....either the pin itself will be damaged, or the threads on the screw will get dinged. Neither of these would be good things to happen.

The inertia firing pins are "safety devices" on many guns.

surv
    ???

Junior KTranger

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor
    ron

the inertia driven firing pin is shorter than the firing pin tunnel in which it resides. On impact by the hammer it is driven forward into the spring, and it's "inertia" carries it on through the hole in the breech face into the primer. You can't push the pin with your finger enough to expose it through the breach face.

That brings up a standard warning for KT pistol users.... don't dry fire without a snap cap. The over travel of the firing pin will cause the shoulder of the pin to contact the retaining screw....either the pin itself will be damaged, or the threads on the screw will get dinged. Neither of these would be good things to happen.

The inertia firing pins are "safety devices" on many guns.

surv
    Surv,

Thanks very much for the explanation. I knew that if I moved the slide before I removed the extractor screw, the firing pin would likely move and I would need to be careful in replacing the screw to get it into the firing pin groove.

But, since I kept the slide on the frame, I didn't concern myself with that issue when I put the screw back in and was worried that I might have messed things up.

Ron

KTrange Contributor
    Fellas, the firing pin on a PF-9 is supposed to extend out of the breech face about 1/16" or so when the back of the pin is pushed flush with the slide.

Ron, I suggest you consider taking your pin out and seeing what is getting in the way.

Former Member May 2005 - April 2011

Junior KTranger

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by pocketgun
    Fellas, the firing pin on a PF-9 is supposed to extend out of the breech face about 1/16" or so when the back of the pin is pushed flush with the slide.

Ron, I suggest you consider taking your pin out and seeing what is getting in the way.
    Since I had just used Lock-Tite on the extractor screw, before removing the firing pin I decided to try to push the back of the firing pin with something that would get it pushed really flush with the slide. And, when I did that, the firing pin did extend slightly out of the breech face, as you described, I would say perhaps 1/16" or so.

So, at this point, I think that I am Ok. I will know more, I guess, when I get back to the range. If I have a problem there, then I will remove the firing pin and see what gives.

Thanks for the clarification.

One other thing I have noticed when shooting is that I am getting what I believe is muzzle flash out of the front of the barrel, something I have never seen with any of my other guns. Is this normal, or does it reflect a problem?

And, by the way, other then the problem I have had with the extractor screw loosening causing failures to extract, I really love this little gun. It is amazingly accurate, recoil not so bad at all, and great for pocket carry in a Mika pocket holster.

Ron

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by pocketgun

I obviously don't have a good handle on the whole inertia firing pin concept. I tried to find the animation of a KT pistol in action where all the parts could be seen in motion. It seems that KT decided to remove it from the site, and apparantly no one has it in their archives.

If that's the case, I think I should edit my above post on how the inertia firing pin system operates so as not to spread bad info.
    ???

KTrange Contributor
    It may have an inertial component to it. I can make the pin stick out further if I use a small enough punch. And your description of an inertial pin was dead on.

Former Member May 2005 - April 2011

Sponsored links