Need P3AT 2nd Gen INfo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need P3AT 2nd Gen INfo

This is a little spontaneous for me...

But I called around SC to 6 different gun stores that are along my normal routes, and 5 of them had no P3ATs and 3 already had waiting lists. The Gunshop in Walhalla, SC, had two of them in stock for $249.99, -$10 for paying cash or check. So I'm now the new owner of a blue slide P3AT, SN# HGLXX.

Man is this thing nasty from the factory! They definitely don't waste our money cleaning or deburring them. (there's a little burr on my feed ramp that will be removed shortly. But hey, half the reason I bought this little pistol is for the fun of customizing it. The other half is to never be unarmed again. Now if SLED will only hurry up with my CWP... Thanks for all your help fellas. Anything I should do or watch out for first time on the range with her?

Thanks for all your hel

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Fultonmechengr
    Anything I should do or watch out for first time on the range with her?
    Clean and lube first,take a couple different types of ammo, and hold on. Welcome to the Range.

Oh yea, Have Fun
    Get the UN out of the U.S
    Get the US out of the U.N.

"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Alrighty...I polished the feed ramp and hood, the barrel, and sliding contact areas with 1000 grit sandpaper. I then cleaned everything with solvent and lubed it all with Rem-oil. I also trimmed the molding flash from the grip and magazine. I hand painted the front sight white (I thought Kel-tec did that?). I'm going to take her to the range Monday and break the barrel in (even though it probably won't really matter in a gun this small with these loose of tolerances).

What seems to be the favorite plinking ammo for this pistol? Is there a favorite self-defense round?

Oh, and how do you disassemble the magazine?

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

Range ammo that seems popular: Win White box, Win clean, Remmington (UMC), Sellier & Bellot, Federal Classic, Magtech...
    SD ammo: Carbon, Fed Hydra-shock, Speer Gold Dot, Win Silvertip, Rem Golden Saber...
    I'm sure I left out several people's favorite, but you get the idea.
    It's a good idea to bring several different rounds as some guns descriminate.

To disassemble the mag, use a tiny screwdriver, punch, etc to depress the pin in the little hole on the bottom of the floor plate and slide it off forward. Caution! The spring will fly out if not contained. Make note of which way the spring goes back in!
    Hidden Content

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
    --Mark Twain

Hidden Content

Thanks Tx. I wasn't trying hard enought to get the mag cover off, didn't want to break it.

Welcome Fulton, I know I'm a little late on this but if you are in the Greenville area, try Traders Gun Shop in Taylors. (On Wade Hampton-29 on the way to Greer) I got my First Generation P3AT from Mr. Shumate there about a month ago and he helped me send it back to KT to fix an issue. It's back now and ship shape! Traders has tons of guns ammo and supplies. (and it's way too close to my house for my wallet's comfort)

Finally!!!!

I finally got out to the range today, and I'm pretty impressed. The first 56 rounds were whitebox Winchester 95gr., and they all functioned beautifully. I then switched to UMC 95gr. roundnose and had my only FTE at round 67. Looked like it pinched a little on the hood, and the extractor pulled out of the rim. I think I can fix that by chamfering the hood. The only other failure came when round 83 failed to feed. A quick rack of the slide chamered the round, and I'm guessing the previous round dragging on the hood probably slowed down the slide enough that it wouldn't lockup. At this point the gun was pretty dirty, and even the ramp was looking pretty nasty.

So after 91 rounds, I'm very happy with the performance. At 5 yards, I could group 7 rounds in 2.5", and I think after a trigger job and maybe a little more time getting use to the sights I can get it down to 2". I definitely want to try a mag extension to get a little better grip, and after the hood modification and another 100 rounds, I'll have no qualms trusting my defense to this pistol. Thanks for all your help guys.

Oh, I stopped by the gunshop and the guy made a copy of this target to promote the little gun with. 7 rounds at 5 yards, and 7 rounds at 7 yards. The five yard group is in blue.

Edited by Flyer for pic reduction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need P3AT 2nd Gen INfo-380_target_003.jpg  

Fulton,

You've commited a cardinal sin. The pic you've posted is too large. I'm sure an Admin will be along shortly to remove the pic, and administer the proper punishment.

Please check here for the Photo and Graphic posting limitations. There are even a couple of free programs there that you can download to help with the resizing of your pics.

I've done so for you below.

I've also found these little guns to shoot better than one should expect from such a package. The group below was fired at a range of 10 yards. The target is a 2" Shoot-N-See dot.
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

Sorry about that fellas. I've already shrunk that picture to %50, but I guess I'll have to go lower next time. Yeah, I was very surprised with the little pistol. I'm guessing more practice and a trigger job along with a mag extension to give me something to hold onto I can probably get them all in about 2 inches. The sights leave a lot to be desired though...

Junior KTranger
    I want to try my luck in forex trading. Are there any traders here? It is interesting how you started and how much time you needed to master the strategies on a demo account. Theoretically I am ready, but I have no practice at all. I have read hundreds of articles of how to invest money https://tradersunion.com/for-investors/ . And I still do not have enough confidence.
    Last edited by cltert0s; 12-23-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored links