Problems with new to me 1st Gen P32 - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with new to me 1st Gen P32

Junior KTranger
    My grip does bulge a bit on the side. If I push the grip frame in at the take down pin opening I can see the ejector move sideways a little.
    Furdog52

KTrange Contributor
    OK, the way to fix it is to remove the frame assembly from the grip, then heat the grip with a hair dryer (or heat gun on low) and eliminate the bulge. The bulge allows the spring to slip past the ejector/slide stop, and hinders it from going back down.

Before we go any further, we need to look at the red arrow in my pic. It points to the hole on the far (right) side of the frame. Please inspect yours and see if it looks perfectly round and all the black anodizing is intact. It shouldn't be marred or "egged out". Let me know what you find.

Former Member May 2005 - April 2011

Junior KTranger
    The take down pin hole, I think that is what we are talking about, looks fine. I see no damage to the opening, it seems perfectly round and I don't see any egg shape or peening of the hole.
    Furdog52

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

Junior KTranger
    When I push the frame in with my thumb as I drop the mag the ejector drops freely. Without the thumb pressure it stays in the up position.
    Furdog52

KTrange Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Furdog52
    The take down pin hole, I think that is what we are talking about, looks fine. I see no damage to the opening, it seems perfectly round and I don't see any egg shape or peening of the hole.
    OK, that is good news. Had it been otherwise you would be boxing up your P-32 next for a frame replacement at the factory. The spring that holds the ejector/slide stop also retains the take down pin, so if it gets out of whack the pin sometimes walks, and ruins the frame.

HERE is a link to disassemble (and reassemble) your P-32. What you want to do is get it to the point where the frame is out of the grip. Read through it and let me know if you have questions.

Junior KTranger
    Removed the two frame pins. The frame is loose except for the hammer spring which is holding the back of the frame in the grip. I am not sure of how to disconnect the hammer spring (and if I do can't see how you could get it reattached).
    Furdog52

Junior KTranger
    Read ALL the directions and got the frame out of the grip with the hammer spring attached.
    Furdog52

KTrange Contributor
    Good good! LOL

Here is a video on disassembly/reassembly by a member here (thanks Beach), just for reference. It is a P-3AT, but the pertinent parts are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM...hl=en_US&fs=1&

OK, now that you have the frame out, look at the area where the ejector/slide stop is. Make sure the spring isn't split or broken, and look for burrs on the ejector/slide stop itself.

Assuming it is fine, get the hair dryer (or heat gun) and heat up the grip where the frame pocket is. The idea is to get it nice and warm and flexible, then indent the area with your fingers or a light clamp or something, and heat it some more. When it is good and warm in the "bowed in" position, let it cool, then remove the clamp. It should look deformed in that it now is bent too far inward. When this is done, reassemble per the instructions, until you are to the point of putting the slide on, then test it with the mag again to see if the ejector/slide stop now goes back down when the mag is removed. Let me know what happens.

Junior KTranger
    OK, now I am scared! I think I understand what you are saying! I will watch the video, sneak my wife's hairdryer out and "heat treat" my P32. When I am done, if it all works, I will call this gun Shake and Bake!

Thanks for the great help for a 1st day forum member. I will let you know how it works out.

Now to try to turn my "parts kit" back into a gun...
    Furdog52

KTrange Contributor
    You will do fine. The First Gen P-32s seem to be a little thin in that area of the grip and are prone to having the problem. From what I have heard, the Second Gens are better in this regard.

Not to worry, just make sure you press down on the grip on either side of the take down pin when you pry it loose, and you won't get a repeat of the problem. It could have been the guy who owned it earlier who did it - easy to do.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored links