How to avoid rimlock and FTE

Thread: How to avoid rimlock and FTE

Simple solution to avoid the dreaded 'rimlock' (which I've never had) and Failure-to-Extract...USE FIOCCHI ammunition.

Just take a look at the picture below and compare the bottoms of the different ammo. You can easily see the differences, Fiocchi uses a more gradual slope over a longer area, which:

1. Allows the top round to easily slide off the next one underneath when being chambered (avoiding rimlock) and,
    2. Gives the extractor more room to get down in there and 'catch' the rim of the case for extracting/ejecting

How to avoid rimlock and FTE-p1090900.jpg
    Last edited by DocHolliday; 03-30-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Junior KTranger

DocHolliday
    Well done, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    I have a question on rimlock: If the magazine is loaded correctly to start with (no rimlock) can rimlock occur just by carrying the gun or shooting it. The only rimlock I have had, occur when I hand loaded the mag. and I think loaded the shells wrong. I now use a speed loader to load my mags. (the loader pushes down on the back of the already loaded shell) and have had no more rimlocks.
    Thoughts???
    Gary
    Last edited by midmofly; 03-26-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midmofly View Post
    DocHolliday
    Well done, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    I have a question on rimlock: If the magazine is loaded correctly to start with (no rimlock) can rimlock occur just by carrying the gun or shooting it. The only rimlock I have had, occur when I hand loaded the mag. and I think loaded the shells wrong. I now use a speed loader to load my mags. (the loader pushes down on the back of the already loaded shell) and have had no more rimlocks.
    Thoughts???
    Gary
    Well, first off, what I was describing was not actual rimlock. My apologies. Rimlock occurs when the top round actually gets BEHIND the rim of the round under it, which usually happens with rounds of a shorter overall length, like some hollowpoints, which is why I recommend Fiocchi FMJ. That being said, a more gradually sloped extractor area WILL make it easier for the slide to strip off the round and chamber it, since less energy will be wasted with a more shallow angle for the rim to climb.

Secondly, I've never had rounds rimlocked just by carrying, usually the spring strength will keep them in order and properly aligned, unless it REALLY takes a hit, strong enough to overcome that mag spring compression and allowing the rounds to move...but again, with a full length round, it usually doesn't happen.

Sponsored links