P32 reliability question

Thread: P32 reliability question

Junior KTranger

P32 reliability question

Hi, I've had a P32 for a couple of years but have not been totally pleased with the reliability. It jams one round every 2-3 mags with Herter's FMJ ammo, usually on the second round of the mag. It happens on both 7 and 10 Round mags so I doubt it is a mag issue. I switched to Privi Partizan FMJ ammo and now it only jams once every 5 mags or so. I sent it in to Keltec and they changed out the slide but the results are the same. In a life or death situation that one jam could be fatal. With the improvement due to the ammo change I'm thinking it might be ammo related. For comparison only, my S&W Shield 9mm has only had one jam in probably 2000 rounds.

Can anybody recommend .32 ammo that runs flawlessly in a P32? Or any other fix you might have?

Thanks.

By jam, do you mean failure to feed into the empty chamber or failure to extract the fired round, impeding the new cartridge from chambering? When they exchanged slides, did you receive a new barrel?

I have two P-32's and pretty much use Fiocchi FMJ. I experienced occasional failure to feeds, so I polished the barrel feed ramp & inside the chamber. Start out with 300-400 grit sandpaper, progressing through 600-800 and 1000-1200. You can wrap the sandpaper around a pencil or small dowel and polish the ramp in the direction the bullet feeds. Same with the chamber. In and out, instead of around. You're not looking to remove metal, rather smooth any ridges that the bullet may drag on. This procedure seemed to have cured my occasional failure to feeds. Hope it works out for you.
    NRA & Sass Life Member

Junior KTranger
    Thanks.

The fired round ejects but the next round does not feed all the way, causing the slide to remain open about 3/8" with the round exposed.

I did not receive a new barrel. The slide had a small irregular hole in it, and I thought that might be the issue. Keltec customer service replaced the slide but the new slide also had a small irregular hole. They told me that was part of the manufacturing process and all P32s have similar holes. It didn't sound right to me - it sounds like a problem with the mold - but that's what they said.

I'll try the Fiocchi FMJs and also do the light sanding that you recommend and see if that works.

Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

That small hole is a leftover from the machining process...perfectly normal and doesn't hurt anything.
    Rick
    Lifestyle: Biker

Junior KTranger
    WildWes,

I sanded the ramp using 800 then 1500 (used what I had on hand to avoid aa trip to the hardware store). Then I ordered some Fiocci .32 FMJ from Midway on-line (Cabela's doesn't carry it) and headed to the range.

I put a box of the Fiocchis through it - zero FTEs, which had never happened before. Then I put a box of the PPus through it - same results, perfect. So I conclude that it was the ramp sanding rather than the actual ammo that resolved the issue. In either case, I keep it loaded with the Fiocchis now for carry.

Thanks for the sage advice.

Roberto

You're welcome Roberto. Glad it worked out for you.
    NRA & Sass Life Member

Sponsored links