L.C. Smith 12 ga. Field Grade ca. 1924

Thread: L.C. Smith 12 ga. Field Grade ca. 1924

L.C. Smith 12 ga. Field Grade ca. 1924

I've been looking for a 12 ga. SXS for some time. Kate, me darlin' wife, caught me drooling over this at a gun shop. According to the seller, the cheek has been relieved to accommodate a shooter who is left-eye dominant - which I am.

So I tried it and it works. The stock has some honest wear but the barrels are sound, the lever dead center and the bolt is tight - according to an old L. C. Smith ad, "The longer you shoot a Smith gun, the tighter it gets." OK, looking at this one I'm ready to believe the hype. Kate said, "Why don't you get it?" I kind of hemmed and hawed a bit, so she got out the checkbook, wrote the check and said "Happy birthday!"

Do I have a great wife or what?!

Joseph
    Kel-Tec P-3AT (2G)
    Taurus PT-145
    Colt 1917

"If a gun makes you feel nine feet tall and invulnerable, you're better off unarmed." - Lazarus Long

KTrange Contributor corsairgunner's Avatar
    you definitely have a great wife and a good looking gun.
    Totalitarianism didn't come quickly, it took 5 years from 1938 until 1943, to realize full dictatorship in Austria . Had it happened overnight, my countrymen would have fought to the last breath. Instead, we hadcreeping gradualism Now, our only weapons were broom handles. The whole idea sounds almost unbelievable that the state, little by little eroded our freedom.

congratulations on a great find (gun and wife). I would love to have a seasoned L.C. Smith. And, as for the finish and lumber.... I wouldn't change a thing. Wipe it down, shoot birds, wipe it down, shoot more birds..... rinse and repeat. That gun should be able to faithfully serve a couple more generations of bird hunters after you give it up.

Can I be in your will?

surv
    ???

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

KTrange Contributor

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor
    congratulations on a great find (gun and wife). I would love to have a seasoned L.C. Smith. And, as for the finish and lumber.... I wouldn't change a thing. Wipe it down, shoot birds, wipe it down, shoot more birds..... rinse and repeat. That gun should be able to faithfully serve a couple more generations of bird hunters after you give it up.

Can I be in your will?

surv
    +1 - I want on the list after surv.

Of course, when considering the luck the admins here at The Range seem to have, it seems likely you will still be shooting it while we are all bullshitting at the great range in the sky.

Former Member May 2005 - April 2011

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor
    congratulations on a great find (gun and wife). I would love to have a seasoned L.C. Smith. And, as for the finish and lumber.... I wouldn't change a thing.
    Thanks, Surv - I have no intention of changing anything. From what I can gather, the most common problem with these old guns is cracking at the wrist. One of the guys on the L. C. Smith Collectors Association board recommended I thoroughly glass-bed everything to preclude that, but I believe I'll pass unless I start seeing some problems. Courtesy of their web page I have the "hang tag" loads for it - 3 drams and 1 1/8 oz. shot - and I won't exceed that.

Wipe it down, shoot birds, wipe it down, shoot more birds..... rinse and repeat. That gun should be able to faithfully serve a couple more generations of bird hunters after you give it up.

Can I be in your will?
    Depends. Got a good bird dog I can borrow in the meantime?

Joseph
    Kel-Tec P-3AT (2G)
    Taurus PT-145
    Colt 1917

"If a gun makes you feel nine feet tall and invulnerable, you're better off unarmed." - Lazarus Long

KTrange Contributor Barksdale123's Avatar
    I guess I'm too late for the will thing, but please, since you'll be gone anyway, see if Kate will let me look aher up.

I'm handsome, cut and buff, virile and rich,

Hey where did that meter come from?
    All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree.
    James Madison
    How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!
    - Samuel Adams

KTRangePro
    I just wanted to ask if you would be interested in a new step son . I am already potty trained....well most of the time.

Sponsored links