Kel-Tec RFB

Thread: Kel-Tec RFB

Junior KTranger

Kel-Tec RFB

Hey guys. Just got an RFB two months back and I couldn’t be more disappointed. It’s been back to the factory 3x. This time they said I’ll get a new one. But when I called that wasn’t the case. They wanted to send me back a bad product for the third time. I don’t know if it’s a massively flawed design or not. But the gun is useless.

My question is this. Am I the only one who had this negative of an experience? For example, being told two different stories by two different customer service reps, and literally see metal parts falling off the bolt carrier on three separate occasions. Each was within a couple shooting sessions from when it was returned to me as “repaired”. Firing pin also broke. The bolt broke once also.

Company has been around a while. But from my experience, you would think it’s four guys renting space in the back of an auto body shop.

What gives?

Junior KTranger
    I too had some issues with my RFB. Not as troubling as yours. I had some issues with the gas system. I was shooting it suppressed and didn't know I needed a special gas plug. Since the I've fired about 1000 rinds through it without any problems. I did find out that the techs at Kel tec weren't willing to be voluntary with any help. I would keep trying.

Junior KTranger
    I went through two returns to Kel Tac service dept when mine was brand new. Usually it was the double feed thing, a shell trying to load before the fired one discharged. First time they said they polished the feed ramp and the gun did the same thing. Second time aside from polishing the feed ramp they fixed it but never said what but since that time, maybe 1000 rounds worth, it "generally operates OK but no way would I trust it as a battle rifle, which is the reason I bought it. Over the 3 years or so I have owned it, if I shoot brass cased ammo and, this is important, and use a maglula loader to load the ammo it works just fine most of the time but I do still get now and then the round not getting picked up out of the mag. When I here the click on an empty chamber I just manually cycle the bolt and go back to shooting. After all of this time I can live with that but it definitely keeps it from being what I call a battle rifle. Now using old surplus 7.62x51, run into problems with that but with 40, 50, even 60 year old surplus it is expected. Whacking away in the desert I can live with that. Never did think much of the FAL mags whether it is the Kel Tec one or some aftermarket polymer ones 9 times out of 10 the bolt does not stay open on an empty mag. No problems with the gas before anyone answers this I have had a long learning curve with the gas setting for a range of ammo. That being said my what I would call a battle piece is a 300 blackout braced AR pistol with a 9" barrel, the make of which shall remain nameless but it is a holy company. Now, that sucker is what I would call a CQB!

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

Junior KTranger
    I've only had my RFB for a couple of years now. I also had a problem with mine. I didn't have a good understanding the gas system. I shoot mine suppressed. Not knowing at the time it requires a special gas plug for that. Since then I have fired around 1000 rounds through it. However, I have 2 FALs which I have fired many rounds through. I've had both of them for about 15 years. Any time you have a feed problem 9 out of 10 times it's the magazine. I've even had problems with brand new DSA mags. Sometimes the rifle can be picky. These mags are a lot like military M-16 mags, maybe a little better. I have over 50 FAL mags. I even have several converted Bren mags. I was disappointed to learn that the best mags you can buy are Moses mags will not work in the RFB. I know right now some mags are hard to find. I hope this helps you out.

Sponsored links