Kel tec p11 extremely hard to pull back slide

Thread: Kel tec p11 extremely hard to pull back slide

Junior KTranger

Kel tec p11 extremely hard to pull back slide

I've had this P-11, my 2nd one, a couple of years now. When I first got it the slide was very easy to rack. Over time it has become harder and harder to rack, and right now it is almost impossible to rack. I've cleaned, oiled, and cursed the gun but I still can't rack the slide. First of all, it is not my grip strength, and I don't need to use a different method to rack the slide. It is a gun problem.

I went to Fed-Ex to ship it back to Kel Tec for repair only to find that it would cost me $81 to ship because it has to go overnight. How do you guys without FFL's ship pistols? Will a metal recoil guide rod cure my problem? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Glen

Junior KTranger
    Check the hammer face and the section of slide that cams the hammer
    back, when slide moves rearward. You might be getting some deformation
    and swaging where the slide pushes the hammer back.

Junior KTranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockjock View Post
    I've had this P-11, my 2nd one, a couple of years now. When I first got it the slide was very easy to rack. Over time it has become harder and harder to rack, and right now it is almost impossible to rack. I've cleaned, oiled, and cursed the gun but I still can't rack the slide. First of all, it is not my grip strength, and I don't need to use a different method to rack the slide. It is a gun problem.

I went to Fed-Ex to ship it back to Kel Tec for repair only to find that it would cost me $81 to ship because it has to go overnight. How do you guys without FFL's ship pistols? Will a metal recoil guide rod cure my problem? Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Glen
    I had similar problem develop with my PF-9. It turned out that my slide was bowed! I was higher in the middle. If you can get the slide off of the frame, set it down on a flat smooth surface. If the slide is deformed i.e. bowed either concave or convex, you should be able to tell right away. If so, it definitely needs a trip to Florida.
    RE: the insane cost of shipping via common carriers (like UPS or FedEX) we are SOL. You should be able to do it for about 25% of the common carrier fee via the U.S. Postal Service BUT that does require that it be done by a FFL holder. I took mine back to the shop were I bought it and had them arrange for the shipping and insurance (~$15). They charged an additional $5 for the shipping box and the half block walk to the Post Office. If the repairs by KelTec are covered by warranty, there shouldn't be a return shipping charge but it will be returned to the FFL sender.
    Everyone that has ANY interest in possessing firearms needs to establish some kind of relationship with a local FFL! Buy your guns, ammo and supplies from them (and don't drive too hard of a bargain). They will be much more willing to help you out when situations like shipping and transfers arise.
    Before I paid 33% of the cost to replace a firearm, I'd consider keeping it for parts and just buy a new one!
    TopGas
    Tough are the souls that tread the knife's edge.

Sponsored links