Firing concealed
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By troutkiller
  • 1 Post By AhSook
  • 1 Post By Ken357

Thread: Firing concealed

Junior KTranger

Firing concealed

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it on search.

Just wondering: if close quarters or time wouldn't allow for a full draw, could a semi-automatic pistol be fired (more than once) from inside a jacket's pocket?

(I'm thinking maybe, the confinement might prevent the slide from ejecting/feeding for a second, third, etc. round to be fired.)

Junior KTranger
    One shot would "work", if that's the right word. A second shot?

It depends whether or not the slide can cycle. In all likelihood, the slide will rip thru a pocket lining and bind. Not only that, trying to fire from a pocket without raising it up will likely have you gripping the gun very high in an unusual way. You might injure your hand.

Buy a revolver if you want the capability of firing from a jacket pocket.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Junior KTranger
    I was thinking about a revolver, too. And I guess it would have to be either 'hammerless' or at least have a shrouded hammer, so it also wouldn't grab the inside of the pocket.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

KTRangePro
    If that IS a major concern I second a revolver.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Junior KTranger
    Quote Originally Posted by AhSook View Post
    Just wondering: if close quarters or time wouldn't allow for a full draw, could a semi-automatic pistol be fired (more than once) from inside a jacket's pocket?

(I'm thinking maybe, the confinement might prevent the slide from ejecting/feeding for a second, third, etc. round to be fired.)

Normally I carry IWB and a semi-auto is fine for that. If I carry in any way which could require firing from concealed I use a revolver, it will go bang every time the trigger is pulled. The revolver that I carry is a S&W 642. It has a concealed hammer so there is nothing to catch and lint can't gum up the works.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

This old secesh 2nds the SW 642/442 for firing through a pocket. Usually it will be a coat pocket you will be carrying in/firing through,
    and J frame consealed hammers are just about built with that purpose in mind. Get yourself some Snap Caps (dummy inert practice rounds that won't damage your firing pin), and test fire your 642/442 in the pocket first to see how the revolver functions.

Gray_Rider
    Deo Vindice!

Way to go Brodon...Two posts to your credit and both are cut and paste hack jobs. I see nothing has changed here.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal ideas from many is research.” --Unknown

Junior KTranger
    Tried it with an old jacket. Fired, no problem, failed to cycle; problem. My Hi-Standard Derringer will at least get two shots off while so confined. A shrouded revolver may experience cylinder drag under such an environment. Knew a police officer that was 'saved' by a snagged hammer revolver in a coat pocket. my $.02 worth. AC

Sponsored links