How to carry in the car? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to carry in the car?

KTrange Contributor corsairgunner's Avatar
    Totalitarianism didn't come quickly, it took 5 years from 1938 until 1943, to realize full dictatorship in Austria . Had it happened overnight, my countrymen would have fought to the last breath. Instead, we hadcreeping gradualism Now, our only weapons were broom handles. The whole idea sounds almost unbelievable that the state, little by little eroded our freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogies View Post
    I hate to be a spoil sport but guys, you're asking for trouble not knowing or not following the law in your respective States. Unlicensed concealed carry can get you in hot water in a number of States. Just pretending you didn't know won't do a darn thing for you. Just my 2 cents.
    My original question was not dealing with "unlicensed" concealed carry. I am licensed. As to Texas, however, there is no need to be licensed as long as the gun stays in the car. No, Texas does not have open carry...yet. We are working on it. It was on the docket this session but was kicked off by a legal trick. It will be on next session in 2013. To begin with it will require a CCP to open carry but later they will strip the requirement for CCP. But I will keep my CCP because I probably wont open carry, I prefer no one knows.
    If you are not living on the edge, well then, you are taking up too much space.

Quote Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
    I prefer no one knows.
    i open carry where it is legal because it better to deter (IMHO) then to de-escalate.
    Totalitarianism didn't come quickly, it took 5 years from 1938 until 1943, to realize full dictatorship in Austria . Had it happened overnight, my countrymen would have fought to the last breath. Instead, we hadcreeping gradualism Now, our only weapons were broom handles. The whole idea sounds almost unbelievable that the state, little by little eroded our freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

KTrange Contributor
    We're not advocating knowingly breaking the law here; my theft was an honest mistake, and definitely won't happen again. Unfortunately in TN, simply posting a "no guns" sign is enough to legally prevent people from carrying there; in other states, those signs don't apply to permit holders. I like how the signs in TX say that the unlicensed possession of a firearm on the premises is a crime, not possessing one period.

And corsair, I know there have been internet volumes on the subject, but I disagree with open carry. I don't think it should be outlawed, but personally I wouldn't do it. My stance is that it draws attention to you, and you'd be the first one shot in a group altercation such as a holdup, much like a cop would be. By the same token, a person carrying concealed would have the advantage of suprise and IMO be more likely to succeed/survive. YMMV .

I "boot carry" quite often myself. I carried several different models over the years, including a P3AT for 3-4 years. Even Boot carried a PF9 a few times. Got rid of all .380 when I traded my last P3AT for a Kahr CW9. It's really a boot full. With loose pants, access to the boot carry from a seated position is hard to beat. During the summer months (nine months out of the year in Texas), I almost always boot carry to church when "shirt tail in" is considered minimum proper dress code, and it's just too hot to wear a jacket or suit (I still have my one buryin' suit though).

As for the off limits places.... there really aren't many in Texas anyway, at least where I have to go. I do have to visit the court houses in various counties on occassion... off limits. I do attend the polling places every time the doors are open... off limits. Since I don't fish three tiimes a week like I did up until 15 years ago, I don't spend much time at the COE lakes, or any other federal regulated places. The rare times I attend school functions concerning the grandkids, I do disarm... unwillingly. Now, the Post Office....... during the day when the place is staffed I do disarm. In those cases, I try to always park as far away from the crowded areas as possible to disarm. Unfortunately, having a firearm in your vehicle on Post Office property (yes, even the parking lot) is as much a violation as entering the building. The term "premesis" in fedspeak ain't the same as what the Texas Legislature perscribed for "school premesis"... i.e. inside the buildings or on the grounds where an organized school function is taking place.

Have I carried inside the post office????? I don't remember.... you know how you forget things when you have to make those late night trips to the P.O. box to pick up the mail.

surv

p.s. Jimisbell.... I'm gonna take a wild stab and say Port Isabelle I had the opportunity to visit the lighthouse in 1982 while in the neighborhood on survey project assignments for a couple of years. "The Valley" is a whole nother state.
    ???

It seems to me that open carry works well for obviously fit individuals who don't mind a little confrontation. That's a good thing. I support their efforts to demonstrate that open carry is a non-threatening activity.

It is perfectly legal here in Arizona, partly because of guys who have been willing to promote it. We have a group that hosts open carry dinners at least once a month. They are usually attended by the entire family and are warmly welcomed at the eating establishments where they are held.

However, for geezers like me, concealed carry makes more sense . . . unless I am out in the desert on my mountain bike.

most of my open carry is in "country" areas. to the best of ym knowledge fayettville and springlake are concealed only and when im visiting my mother and grandma i know inside city limit is concealed only and with the exception of the occasional briefly startled person it hasnt been an issue.

Carry or be carried by 6.......
    banana380 likes this.
    The next gun is NEVER the last one!

Whaddaya mean it's not IN stock.......oh brother!

Carry or be carried by 6.......

Junior KTranger
    Go for it, I keep mine in glove box.

Depending on what vehicle you drive, one of these might work for you. I have a Console Vault in my Tundra and love it. I feel much safer leaving my gun in the truck. I would strongly reccomend it to anyone. Great guys to work with as well.Auto Vault, Gun Safe, Laptop Safe, Hand Gun Safe, Gun Vault, Portable Safe, Safe Manufacturer - Console Vault™

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored links