A police encounter today
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: A police encounter today

A police encounter today

This afternoon, I got pulled over by the SC Hiway Patrol. I knew that I wasn't speeding because I was traveling a highway that it is well known that the police are always stopping speeders there. I knew that he pulled me over because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt.

I pull over, turn off the engine in my truck, place both hands on the steering wheel and wait. The trooper comes to my window and greets me and asks for my driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance, and told me he stopped me because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I told him, "Sure but, I have a CWP and my license is in my left front pocket and I have a pistol in my right front pocket and also my right rear pocket. What do you want me to do?"

He tells me to just get my license out. I did and my registration and proof of insurance was on my sun visor. I handed them all to him and he asked for my CWP. Then he said that he wanted me to get out of my truck, place my hands on the roof and he would remove my pistol from my pocket. I got out and did as he said. Before he reached into my pocket, he asked if I had one in the chamber. I said, "Yes." He said OK and reached into my right front pocket and pulled out my PF-9. He asked if I had said that I had one in my right rear pocket, too. I said, "Yes and it has one in the chamber, too." He said, "Thanks.", and then he pulled my P3AT out of my pocket.

He asked if I had any other weapons. I said, "Yes, sir. I have another gun in the bag that is on the back floor between my seats. He reached in and pulled out my S&W Model 10, fully loaded. He the told me to get back into my truck and wait.

He took all three guns and got back into his cruiser. He was gone a few minutes and came back up to my window, gave me back all my paperwork. He told me that he was giving me a warning and I needed to wear my seatbelt. I said OK and he handed me all three guns back and told me to have a nice day and then he thanked me for being "very professional" with him. I thanked him for giving me a break and off we went on our seperate ways, me with my seatbelt fastened.

He didn't freak out or even raise an eyebrow with me having three guns, two of them on me. I guess it just depends on the guy that you talk to.
    WherzMeGun likes this.
    South Carolina. The first state to secede from the Union, and hopefully the next.

KTrange Contributor Dillypwacker's Avatar
    Also it has to do with how you carry and handle yourself. In Va. I was pulled many times for various stupid things I had done. One instance the officer asked if I had any WOMD Rocket launchers RPG's Grenade launchers and so on. I asked him to repeat himself. He did. I asked again with a smirk on my face. He repeated it for the 3rd time. I started laughing he grinned and asked me to step out. So I did. He asked if he could search my car. I asked him for what reason. He said he didn't have a reason and if I didn't let him he would contain me and get a search warrant. I told him I wanted another officer to search the vehicle. So he got another officer out there and he searched my vehicle for 20 minutes to find nothing. The moral to this story is I could have said No from the start but I felt it was a good time to be a smart ass. I did however get out of the ticket for not yielding to a stop sign. But I have noticed on the many occasions that I have been pulled, that if you are nice and civil you are treated with the same respect. I tip my hat to every hard working officer of the law they have one hard ass job. I am glad you didnt have any troubles Geezer good job showing off the KT's to the cops.
    damn this snow is cold.

Re: A police encounter today

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    He didn't freak out or even raise an eyebrow with me having three guns, two of them on me. I guess it just depends on the guy that you talk to.
    I'd guess it depends on that and, as Dilly observed, how much of a gentleman you are perceived as being. Congratulations!

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

KTrange Contributor Dillypwacker's Avatar
    I firmly believe if you are defensive from the jump. It causes confusion for the officer. Making he/she more of an ass hole. I learned I got more tickets reduced or or even just get a warning for being a nice gentleman. If you treat cops like you treat normal everyday people they tend to treat you the same. Either way I'm still happy you got away without a shoot out.
    damn this snow is cold.

AGM
    Junior KTranger
    Having good friends who are LEOs and have ridden along with them, I have come to understand what they face. Among the most dangerous situations for LEOs is the simple traffic stop, the other is a domestic disturbance or complaint. A traffic stop finds the officer approaching an enclosed vehicle driven by a usually unknown individual. He/she immediately evaluates the possible threat through observing the response/reaction to their approach and/or questions. The more calm and courteous the response, the better the outcome.

The best response is: take a deep breath, smile, calmly answer questions and follow instructions. Those who carry should be "the" most courteous and cooperative people out there. Those who aren't pretty much deserve what they get.

In addition to having friends who are LEOs, I have known officers and their families who have endured the consequences of doing their jobs while dealing, sometimes unsuccessfully with those who are the true "assholes".

The "bad apples" are usually pretty rare, but do stand out. They can be dealt with after the situation if we don't escalate it and find ourselves the victims of their bad judgment and actions.

Just a few thoughts.

Junior KTranger
    Personally i do not agree with the Leo disarming you, you informed him of your cwp, you were not being pulled for a weapons charge and did nothing to cause him to take your firearms.
    I would also express concern for having him put his hands in my pants and removing these firearms, I am not interested in getting caught in a ND situation..
    Having him dissarm you without probable cause borders on unconstitutional. and i would probably file a complaint to the superiors.

Junior KTranger

Lightbulb

I've been stopped by both kinds, the ones with power issues and the professional ones. As a general rule, if they can see both your hands and you have the "yes, sir / no, sir" attitude they treat you right. I think if they detect a little insolence it triggers their "Barney Fife" mechanism or something. I don't mean to be disrespectful, maybe I should call it the "I'm the boss here" mechanism.

I did get stopped a year ago or so because I hadn't put my new license plate on yet. Oklahoma switched plates to a new "Native America" one. So the plate was in my back seat with an unloaded shotgun and .22 and a lot of ammo. Apparently the officer didn't know what a "new license plate" was and went back to run my OLD plate after I told him I had a new one under the back seat. After 10 minutes, he came back very nervously and told me my plates didn't match what should be on the pickup. So I explained it all again and he asked me to pull the plate out like I told him I would be happy to do in the first place. I had already warned him about the guns and the fact that they were UNloaded. As soon as I opened the back door a box of shotgun shells spilled out into the parking lot. DOH!

But once he saw the new plate he said, "OOOOH! THAT new plate! Get that on your vehicle, sir, have a good day!" He was nice enough, just a bit confused I think.

The hooded rifle sight emoticon looks like a lightbulb now....I don't like the change.
    ednpat3 likes this.

KTrange Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir300 View Post
    The hooded rifle sight emoticon looks like a lightbulb now....I don't like the change.
    I think it was originally supposed to be a lightbulb... Just different graphics now .

Junior KTranger
    maybee its living in the south but here on the west coast they would have called SWAT.
    WOMBAT likes this.

KTRangePro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillypwacker View Post
    Also it has to do with how you carry and handle yourself. In Va. I was pulled many times for various stupid things I had done. One instance the officer asked if I had any WOMD Rocket launchers RPG's Grenade launchers and so on. I asked him to repeat himself. He did. I asked again with a smirk on my face. He repeated it for the 3rd time. I started laughing he grinned and asked me to step out. So I did. He asked if he could search my car. I asked him for what reason. He said he didn't have a reason and if I didn't let him he would contain me and get a search warrant. I told him I wanted another officer to search the vehicle. So he got another officer out there and he searched my vehicle for 20 minutes to find nothing. The moral to this story is I could have said No from the start but I felt it was a good time to be a smart ass. I did however get out of the ticket for not yielding to a stop sign. But I have noticed on the many occasions that I have been pulled, that if you are nice and civil you are treated with the same respect. I tip my hat to every hard working officer of the law they have one hard ass job. I am glad you didnt have any troubles Geezer good job showing off the KT's to the cops.
    (((Cough))) If the LEO had asked me that even I would probably have laughed out loud. And I am German. Had my sense of humor surgically removed at birth.
    lambode likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored links