open carry
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: open carry

Junior KTranger

open carry

in minnesota, that is, minnesnowta at the moment, there is no such thing as a concealed
    carry permit

its just a carry permit.

my question is: if you could carry and not coneal, would you carry a bigger gun?

for the record ill always conceal carry.

its just me but i dont really want anyone knowing i have a gun.

id love to here anybodys thoughts on this

thanks in advance

KTrange Contributor
    in tennessee, as well as some other states in the south, the permit allows the holder to carry a handgun, and doesn't specify open or concealed. tennessee's is a handgun carry permit, while kentucky's is a deadly weapon permit (which includes god knows what...) i'm only familiar with it because my uncle has one...

if it is minne"snow"ta right now, i would think it would be really hard not to conceal... of late i have been carrying my XDm OWB under a coat. i don't think i would be comfortable carrying open unless i were on my own land or something...

the XDm is probably as big of a gun as i would want to carry. only slightly shorter than full size 1911's and probably a longer grip. that said, it is concealable. in another thread i mentioned my interest in an MTAC holster, which would allow comfortable concealment of the XDm in anything more substantial than an undershirt. i know this because i have been mexi-carrying in the position i will put the holster when i finally ball up and get one.

so i think it is possible to carry concealed most any type of handgun that you would carry openly, with the right setup.

+1 on the not wanting anyone to know you're carrying, the reasons could fill several post limits.

Open carry is not legal in South Carolina right now but we're working on it. If open carry is OK, it would make it easier to carry something bigger but the main concern is that you don't have to keep it hidden from sight at all times. If a shirt rides up and exposes the gun or if I'm on my bike and my shirt blows up, it won't matter then. With the law the way it is now, I'm not concealed and there is no open carry, I'm illegal.
    South Carolina. The first state to secede from the Union, and hopefully the next.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

My heart goes out to you guys. When I lived in New Jersey, I had no clue, but in Arizona sanity reigns.

One day last summer, while riding my mountain bike to the Pima Pistol Club range about 9 miles from my house, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten my wallet and thus my CCW permit. No problem, I just pulled up the bottom of my jersey and tucked it in to properly expose my 1911. In two seconds we changed from concealed carry requiring a permit to open carry that does not.

Best of all, I never got a second look from anyone I passed in either direction during the trip.

Were open carry legal where I live, it would be awfully tempting to want to carry a PLR-16 with a 30 round mag inserted in some sort of thigh rig.

However, I do believe that the element of surprise that concealed carry offers would outweigh the "cool" factor of doing so.
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

KTRangePro
    I usually CC in Utah, particularly in winter and at work. However, during the summer, I quite often open carry.

In Utah, to open carry a "loaded" firearm, one must have a concealed firearm permit (CFP). However, a person without a CFP can open carry an unloaded gun.

currently we do not have legal open carry in Texas. Under the current concealed carry law it is a violation to "Intentionally display" a weapon. Many chl holders in Texas get their panties in a wad over the myth that it is a violation to accidentally expose a weapon, such as a jacket blown open in the wind, or a mild case of unintentional "printing". It just ain't that bad. Now, as it stands, the only places a chl holder can't carry are the very few outlined in the law, AND those establishments that post the proper signage - and a very detailed description of the exact wording, print size, color contrast, and location of those signs is printed in the legal code. There are many establishments that post the typical "ghostbusters" type "no guns" sign (beretta 92 in the red circle with slash), or some outdated faded out cardboard sign with language that's no longer in effect. At this moment in time, chl's have NO obligation to even give those signs a second look here in Texas. Concealed means concealed. What the "sheeple" don't see won't hurt them. I have never heard of a local case where a chl holder was arrested for failure to conceal, nor have I heard of a hysterical report of "a man with a gun", so the sheeple go grazing along their merry way, and the business owners are oblivious to those that carry... since concealed means concealed. At this particular point in societal evolution, especially considering the seemingly overwhelming desire of so many American citizens to give up much of their personal freedoms, and shirk their personal responsibilities - forfeiting them to the all powerful central government - just the sight of a "man with a gun" (that obviously is not a cop) will draw mass screams of protest. Owners of restruants, retail stores, professional business, etc., will discover that there will be a legal way to post and prevent carry of any kind into their places of business..... unless we decide to allow government to completely override personal property rights. I can invision a bleak future for those of us that carry for personal protection if there is a sudden large number of firearms seen on the hips of everyday citizens in wal-mart, mcdonalds and the mall (all places I try NOT to visit anyway). I would LOVE to wear my normal casual clothing to a restruant - starched and creased wranglers, long sleeved shirt (tail tucked, boots - and be able to carry my kimber or sig comfortably OWB, and maybe only expose it when I took my jacket off to sit to a meal. Most of the time I would still conceal anyway. But, knowing the nature of the average sheeple, and the knee jerk political climate, I hope the open carry movement in Texas does NOT screw up what we have worked so hard to achieve here already.

surv
    ???

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by magman454
    However, I do believe that the element of surprise that concealed carry offers would outweigh the "cool" factor of doing so.
    +1 That's why, despite having some nice 1911's, a P-3AT is still my most frequent CCW. But, I do have this great holster for BBQ's and rodeos.

KTrange Contributor
    Nice!

Former Member May 2005 - April 2011

KTRangePro
    Huh, I've never had any screams of MWAG when I open carry in Utah, and I've done it many times. I confess that I have a hard time understanding why there is no OC in Texas, with the western reputation the Texans like to cultivate.

Incidentally, I carried in Texas last week, concealing of course. I only saw one of those 30.06 signs. That was encouraging.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored links