Kel-Tec Forum banner

Ban on carry in national parks and wildlife refuges REVOKED!

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  aspirina 
#1 ·
I got my VCDL email newsletter today.

The request for rule change to allow carry in national parks and wildlife refuges has been APPROVED by the Department of the Interior !!!

Yeah, baby!!!

I was beginning to believe that they were deliberately dragging their feet until the BO administration came in. Apparently not. I'm ecstatic!

The comments sent in of many, many gun owners made a difference! The language was cleaned up. There is no more "similar state lands" nonsense in it like there was in the proposed rule. It is much better!!!

36CFR2.4 will now read (paragraph h is new):
§2.4 Weapons traps and nets.
(h)Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law.
50CFR27.42 will now read (paragraph e is new):
§27.42 Firearms.
(h)Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, persons may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national wildlife refuge in accordance with the laws of the state in which the wildlife refuge, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law.
I'm feeling jazzed tonight! :cheers:

#2 ·
Jeff

I caught a little blurb on the latest results on another forum this afternoon that lead me to believe it was to only apply to concealed handguns in the possession of a license holder for the state in which the property was located.

The info you posted seems to infer any "legal" firearm....rifle, shotgun, handgun... locked and loaded, as long as it remains concealed.

Anything about licensees only?

surv

just found this link...I'll paste it, then go check it out

http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final Rule.pdf

yep...that's probably the story. Man, the libs sharpened their teeth and claws in an attempt to shut it down. "Environmental Impact Study"....."Endangered Species Act"....
Looks like the good guys will be winners on this one once it's officially logged into the Federal Registry!

#6 ·
Basically, it amends the Federal law to follow the state laws for handguns withing National Forests, etc. So a National Forest in TN would have the same laws for handguns as the state of TN, as opposed to being banned completely. Rifles and shotguns are still subject to the same rules as before.

#11 ·
I don't see anything in there at all about licensees only. All it says is "in accordance with the laws of the state". That must mean that in Alaska and Vermont, anybody (except for prohibited persons, naturally) can CC in a national park or wildlife refuge, because no CC permits are required in those states.

This also appears to restrict carrying to concealed-only. No open-carry in national parks. That's one shortcoming that I pointed out in my comments to the DOI in the proposed rule comment period. That one didn't get addressed.

However, the ambiguous and potentially damaging language that was in the original proposed rule change, i.e. about only being able to carry in national parks to the same extent that state law allows carry in analogous state lands, was stricken from the final rule. Now it just says in accordance with the laws of the state. That's a big win!!

Just like pocketgun indicated, I believe that there are separate rules governing long guns in national parks, so don't start carrying your rifles and shotguns there.

Don't carry into national parks yet! This only becomes effective 30 days after it is published in the Federal Register.

I think that it's high time that I took my family to Yellowstone for a visit this spring! :D

#13 ·
So if I were a poacher I'd just go get a 1911 with a 6"bbl and conceal it under my hunting jacket :)

They are just looking for any gun restriction they can no matter how stupid it is.

#14 ·
The "no carry in parks" crowd tried to make that very argument.

Pistols suck for poaching - too much like work to get close to the animals. I am just glad I don't have to worry about any handgun silliness the next time I go to a National Forest.

#15 ·
Re:

pocketgun said:
The "no carry in parks" crowd tried to make that very argument.

Pistols suck for poaching - too much like work to get close to the animals. I am just glad I don't have to worry about any handgun silliness the next time I go to a National Forest.
With the right handgun, match barrel ect. 100yd shots are easy. Although harder to conceal a nice revolver 12"bbl scope 200yd shots are possible. Although a game warden will not believe its for protection. All I'm saying is that no matter what they do there will be poachers, and most of them will never get caught. I agree the main thing is there is not a risk of getting thrown in jail for carrying a handgun in those places. I have conceal carried in parks both national and state, even without a permit. I don't enter into the woods without at least a handgun. I met a gamewarden while walking on a fire road and he had no problem with me carrying my handgun and if I hadn't been he would have driven me back to the camping area instead of letting me continue my walk. So regardless of what the 'law' says the gamewardens are the law in those places.

#16 ·
Yeah, I know people can and do hunt game with handguns. As you described, long barrels and optics, etc. Just a guess, but I bet that few/no animals are taken illegally with such weapons each year. I don't think it will go up with the new regs either.

You are lucky you met the right ranger bigreb83. :)

#18 ·
I have never met the wrong gamewarden. Of course Texas and Louisiana tend to be very pro gun when it comes to being out in the woods. It also helps to know what types of dangerous wildlife is in the area and to be honest upon meeting the gw. Always be clear about what you are doing and tell him that you are armed. If you are honest the gw will know you are not doing anything 'wrong' and leave you be. He would rather arrest poachers ect. He is much more likely to tell you where you can see nature at its best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.