Ban on carry in national parks and wildlife refuges REVOKED! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ban on carry in national parks and wildlife refuges REVOKED!

KTRangePro
    I don't see anything in there at all about licensees only. All it says is "in accordance with the laws of the state". That must mean that in Alaska and Vermont, anybody (except for prohibited persons, naturally) can CC in a national park or wildlife refuge, because no CC permits are required in those states.

This also appears to restrict carrying to concealed-only. No open-carry in national parks. That's one shortcoming that I pointed out in my comments to the DOI in the proposed rule comment period. That one didn't get addressed.

However, the ambiguous and potentially damaging language that was in the original proposed rule change, i.e. about only being able to carry in national parks to the same extent that state law allows carry in analogous state lands, was stricken from the final rule. Now it just says in accordance with the laws of the state. That's a big win!!

Just like pocketgun indicated, I believe that there are separate rules governing long guns in national parks, so don't start carrying your rifles and shotguns there.

Don't carry into national parks yet! This only becomes effective 30 days after it is published in the Federal Register.

I think that it's high time that I took my family to Yellowstone for a visit this spring!

KTrange Contributor
    From what I have read, it will probably go to the register next week. Figure before Feb 1 it should be GTG.

They don't want long guns because it is an easy way to arrest poachers.

Former Member May 2005 - April 2011

So if I were a poacher I'd just go get a 1911 with a 6"bbl and conceal it under my hunting jacket

They are just looking for any gun restriction they can no matter how stupid it is.
    Im back to the old me again, the video below will help to clarify this for anyone who needs a little help.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="Hidden Content " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

KTrange Contributor
    The "no carry in parks" crowd tried to make that very argument.

Pistols suck for poaching - too much like work to get close to the animals. I am just glad I don't have to worry about any handgun silliness the next time I go to a National Forest.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by pocketgun
    The "no carry in parks" crowd tried to make that very argument.

Pistols suck for poaching - too much like work to get close to the animals. I am just glad I don't have to worry about any handgun silliness the next time I go to a National Forest.
    With the right handgun, match barrel ect. 100yd shots are easy. Although harder to conceal a nice revolver 12"bbl scope 200yd shots are possible. Although a game warden will not believe its for protection. All I'm saying is that no matter what they do there will be poachers, and most of them will never get caught. I agree the main thing is there is not a risk of getting thrown in jail for carrying a handgun in those places. I have conceal carried in parks both national and state, even without a permit. I don't enter into the woods without at least a handgun. I met a gamewarden while walking on a fire road and he had no problem with me carrying my handgun and if I hadn't been he would have driven me back to the camping area instead of letting me continue my walk. So regardless of what the 'law' says the gamewardens are the law in those places.
    Im back to the old me again, the video below will help to clarify this for anyone who needs a little help.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="Hidden Content " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KTrange Contributor
    Yeah, I know people can and do hunt game with handguns. As you described, long barrels and optics, etc. Just a guess, but I bet that few/no animals are taken illegally with such weapons each year. I don't think it will go up with the new regs either.

You are lucky you met the right ranger bigreb83.

This makes me so happy. I think I am tearing up with joy. One small step back up that tall hill they have created called "gun control." Let's see how long it survives under the BO administration.
    An unarmed citizenry is a defeated one!

I have never met the wrong gamewarden. Of course Texas and Louisiana tend to be very pro gun when it comes to being out in the woods. It also helps to know what types of dangerous wildlife is in the area and to be honest upon meeting the gw. Always be clear about what you are doing and tell him that you are armed. If you are honest the gw will know you are not doing anything 'wrong' and leave you be. He would rather arrest poachers ect. He is much more likely to tell you where you can see nature at its best.

Junior KTranger
    I carried in those places all along, 'policy' never has or ever will trump my or my families safety..........But this is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRS View Post
    I carried in those places all along, 'policy' never has or ever will trump my or my families safety..........But this is good news.
    It WAS good news.....seven years ago.

Good morning!
    TucsonMTB likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored links