How to Test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive Test

Thread: How to Test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive Test

How to Test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive Test

So I got a 1,000rnd case of russian surplus ammo called Klimovsk. Because it was advertised as Non-Corrosive & the box said the same, I assume it was. After purchasing the case, I read a little more into the ammo online & found out some people were complaining that their Klimovsk was indeed corrosive. This got me a little worried and when I received it in the mail, I made sure to test it before firing through my AK.

This Test is SUPER SIMPLE & uses common household tools. I recommend everyone who buys any sort of surplus ammo, test it before firing (or buying a case!) This process can be used on any caliber. Even if you think "there's no way this is corrosive", your better safe than sorry.

Veritas Aequitas

KTRangePro
    I was under the impression there's corrosive powder charges and corrosive primers which are not the same thing but separate issues?
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Good info! Thanks for posting!

Oh, and generally speaking only the chemicals in the primer are the issue with modern powders/cartridges.

Yes, Black Powder is corrosive. But, that's a whole different discussion and type of firearm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Stogies View Post
    I was under the impression there's corrosive powder charges and corrosive primers which are not the same thing but separate issues?
    TucsonMTB said it right... As with modern ammunition, the primers are the only thing you have to worry about being corrosively harmful.
    But that is not to say your firearm won't rust if you only use non-corrosive ammunition.
    I'm sure you know to always keep an oil lining on all metal parts, because if you don't, moisture will naturally find it's way in & begin oxidizing.
    Especially if there is powder residue. Powder attracts moisture & will speed up the rusting.
    But corrosive primed ammo on the other hand... it'll cover your barrel, gas tube, & bolt in rust overnight if not properly cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    Good info! Thanks for posting!
    Oh, and generally speaking only the chemicals in the primer are the issue with modern powders/cartridges.
    Yes, Black Powder is corrosive. But, that's a whole different discussion and type of firearm.
    No problem man! Glad you liked it.
    You are very correct.
    Veritas Aequitas

Junior KTranger
    thanks for everything....

Sponsored links