Getting Into Reloading

Thread: Getting Into Reloading

Junior KTranger

Getting Into Reloading

Hi Guys.new here.I've been thinking of getting into reloading.I've always been interested in it.Its just one of those things I've never got around to.What would be some good info on getting started at a reasonable cost?What type of press?I don't currently own a 380 yet but thats in the works.I would be wanting to reload 380.357 mag and 308.Also can you load rifle cartridges in the same press as pistol cartridges?Might be a silly question but I did'nt know if the longer case on a rifle cartridge would be a problem.Any help with pics and links would be greatly appreciated.
    Tradrick
    S&W 686-4 357
    Ruger MK11 22 LR
    NAA 22 MAG MINI REVOLVER
    Browning BAR 308
    Remington 12 ga 870 Express MAG

KTrange Contributor Dillypwacker's Avatar
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8oguej7xhv_b

Go to that link it has the manuals there i doubt you will get much help reloading here for fear of telling you something that might leave you limbless I would check out and read the books first.
    damn this snow is cold.

I'd say there was plenty of help here - just (hopefully) not a lot about recommended loads. Those should DEFINITELY come from the books IMHO.

There is an overwhelming amount of information out there. Seems like every bullet maker and press maker has their own reloading manual. But Loadbooks USA makes several "One Book/One Caliber" reloading manuals that basically take extracts from the major manuals out there and put them all in one place. They may be a little out of date (they probably won't have the very latest in loads and bullets) but for a beginner they're a great place to start.

For presses, personally, I like Lee Precision - for quality at an economical price, they're hard to beat. I use their Challenger press because I don't do that much reloading. If you plan to do a lot, you'd probably do better with some kind of turret press. Dillon is expensive but they're top of the line and everyone I know who does a lot of reloading uses one.

But shop around - it's hard to go wrong with any of the name brand manufacturers.

I could write volumes, but many others already have. Hope this is enough to get you started.

Joseph
    Kel-Tec P-3AT (2G)
    Taurus PT-145
    Colt 1917

"If a gun makes you feel nine feet tall and invulnerable, you're better off unarmed." - Lazarus Long

4. Remove Advertisements
    KeltecForum.com
    Advertisements

I second Joseph's recommendation of Lee products. I use their 4-hole turret press for handgun and rifle ammo, and their Load-All for 12 ga. shotgun shells.

The turret press has a lot to offer. You can use it as a semi-progressive press, or by simply removing a link (As I have.) you can use it as a single stage press that doesn't require removing and replacing the dies for each operation.

There are two differences between my set-up, and the one linked above. I use their Perfect Powder Measure mounted separately to the bench, and I use an electronic powder scale. These are more precise and/or faster to use than what is in the kit above.

I have three turrets that are set-up for multiple calibers. Changing from one caliber to another only takes a couple of seconds to change the turret, and about a minute to change the powder, set the powder measure, and verify the amount of powder that is being dropped.

I use this press and a recipe from the Speer Reloading Manual #12 to load 130 gr. Ballistic Silvertips for my .270. This is an accurate load. My best 10 shot group was right where I wanted it, and measured just over 1/2 inch. If the group is any larger than 3/4 of an inch, it was my fault.

I can churn out good quality, reliable ammo at about 100 rounds an hour without rushing.

This press, while admittedly not the best, is an economical way for someone to get into reloading. It is capable of turning out exceptional ammo, and is fast enough to keep pace with the amount of ammo that most of us shoot. I have been using it for years, and have not been left wanting.
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

Junior KTranger
    Thaks for the replys.That 50th anniversery kit looks very promising to get started.
    Tradrick
    S&W 686-4 357
    Ruger MK11 22 LR
    NAA 22 MAG MINI REVOLVER
    Browning BAR 308
    Remington 12 ga 870 Express MAG

Junior KTranger

New reloader

Quote Originally Posted by tradrick View Post
    Thaks for the replys.That 50th anniversery kit looks very promising to get started.
    I have been reloading for 50 years. I do not recommend a turret press for newbees. Buy a Lee single stage press and use it until you have learned the process. Minimal investment and when you graduate to a progressive never load pistol cartridges on a press that does not index automatically. It is too easy to double charge on progressives that do not index automatically. You can always use the single stage press for special applications. I have two Dillon Square Deals for my pistol cartridges and they have served me well. The dies come with the press.

If you're such as the majority of us, you've used it toward the point especially where it is no extended attractive or it just doesn't purpose the way in which it do within your past. It is time to really feel great concerning the view you are placing on as well as you can many thanks toward the broad assortment of tissot watches ladies. Men, if you've been questioning what to provide that specific lady within your life, females treasure diamond jewelry as well as a view produces a sensible collectively with wonderful present.

A saying goes,"love is simple",equally simle could possibly be considered a type of love, the necklace is type of adore that someoe give you.More surprise need you to explore continuiously. tiffany bracelets may possibly color your wrist a lot. In summer, are you currently really feel really dull on you wrist. Even in circumstance you arms or wrist are currently beautiful, you nonetheless really feel only a tiny strange, and also this instant tiffany bracelet can perform you a favor.

Brand of the product or company just like bags, such as the decrease entry requirements, acceptance and considerable tide I also arranged away a producer new era of youthful fans on customer culture, "education to begin with children. "About the tory burch flats cheap cozy and vibrant coloring printing and countrywide oxygen totem, along using using exotic, dazzling fashion.I personally think that this is simply the typical brand-name girl captive killer.

in accordance with Tiffany's standard website, Tiffany started to be the very first American institution to take advantage of the 925/100 surplus extra fat conventional for its Fake tiffany chain. So the true Tiffany necklace's conventional surplus extra fat of 72 grams will also weigh considerably much much more than a faux Tiffany necklace.

It's not so an ideal offer primarily because these deposits typically are not remarkable to look at out. retain in ideas that, unattractiveness desires getting the lowest of your concern.An instant and risk-free method to obvious the ash online away Your FireplaceThe reality remains to be these remains to be which could be consisting of ashes bobs of unburned wooden and coal ought getting eliminated and cleared up merely primarily because they may possibly be fire dangers for the home. A dirty fireplace is at danger of fire and deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

They are one of the most flat bottomed shoes which could be accessible in all sorts of sizes. The main of shoes are developed from best superb quality rubber substance and take place using the lining. one can very easily lookup forvans shoes storeon the internet in which they are very easily accessible at superb low cost prices. These take place in practically an infinite amount of coloring and therefore are typically inside the affordable side. They are traditional in look, that may be very easily purchase from neighborhood skate store or from on the internet stores also.

The sequence should be the Tissot producer to some many best embodiment of efficiency excellence and charm of design integration. Basel sit back and watch reasonable provides the affordabletissot automatic watches, has obtained the qualities of sports activities and style design, provide you with a many experience trip. I hope to create more value to customers and moved.

Get ready to create the deals in Converse shoes by transporting near to only in the genuine and dedicated on the internet shoes stores.There come going to be considered an enormous amount of factors which additional in the direction of the reputation in the cheap converse shoes and all these factors eventually left competition at the rear of by each and every signifies with revolutionary types which would eventually give Converse fans much more motives to store for Converse footwear.

It is mentioned that except using the well-known blue denim, the duck, a thick materials which fell away from decline in favour of denim, was regarded as 'wearing a tent'. These overalls proved to turn out to be considered a exceptional achievement and cheap diesel jeans into producing jackets and outwear, as well as muslin shirts. His nepehews do not allow him down! through decades of operating hard, Levi's jeans come going to be very much more and very much more strong.
    Last edited by magman454; 07-25-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Fixed links/Updated avatar.

You've got to wonder whether or not the people that write this crap think it actually makes sense.
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

Another Hemingway.
    Rick
    Lifestyle: Biker

Sponsored links