Junior KTranger

Is the Sub 2000 legal in California?

Is the Sub 2000 legal in California? I'm assuming not but I have received conflicting answers from a few gun shops and my emails to Kel-Tec have gone unanswered.

KTrange Contributor Gun_Nut_2k1's Avatar
    not to import. but maybe you can find them localy that are grandfathered. Get it from a gun shop and they have the legal issue. Or move to AZ and buy them all day.

Junior KTranger
    Kel-Tec did reply to me: "as far as we know all Sub 2000 models are legal in California." I keep looking at the pistol grip and somehow think that it just isn't legal (I know Hi-point is not).

Junior KTranger
    They are illegal. Here is from the Cali DOJ website. Mark

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

KTrange Contributor Gun_Nut_2k1's Avatar
    Thats a darn good reason to move in my book. 8)

norfdet
    chalk one up for the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia......almost as funny as when I heard someone refer to the Communist Northeast! (Maine, Massachusetts, New York, etc) So does this mean that the only types of rifles that you can get in Kalifornia are shotguns and bolt action rifles?

Pretty much but not quite, we can have the Ruger carbine, Deerfield, Mini's and the SU, SKS, FAB-10 AR, and PRK FALs... sigh! All KT firearms except the SU-16 A+B are illegal in the PRK
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Junior KTranger
    Old thread, but misleading. The Sub 2k isn't legal for a California dealer to sell you because it's slightly too short, and since CA considers it an "assault weapon", it would need a bullet button - but Keltec doesn't supply a version with a bullet button. If you buy from a private party out of state, and have the seller install a 3rd party bullet button and the KelTec butt stock extension (both mods take 5 minutes combined), your California FFL should have no issues registering it. Check with the FFL before buying, to make sure the rules haven't changed. The KelTec overall length is measured unfolded because it is incapable of firing in the folded mode (not the case with most folding stocks and the like - they'll still fire). Again, that's the rule today(Nov 2014) but check first... it is, after all, California.

Ads