Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Turning a PLR into a SBR

Turning a PLR into a SBR

I have a PLR-16 that over the years - got it 5 yrs ago this month to be precise - has become my "project" gun. I've had my PLR since they first came on the market and have added most all the accessories that I legally can for now. I'm now considering turning my PLR-16 into a SBR. FYI, I know I'll need to pay the $200 tax and do the proper paperwork so the gun will be legal. My question is will an SU-16 rear stock (in particular the "Charlie" model) fit a PLR? Has anyone here checked it out or tried one themselves since this would make it simpler than modifying the PLR for an aftermarket stock. I'd also be able to legally add a vertical grip to the fore end so this would be one nasty little weapon! FWIW, I'm looking into making this my SHTF/home defense weapon... the advantage of a rife cartridge in a (very large) pistol size package that can be used with or w/o the rear stock as necessary.
    Last edited by rachilders; 02-15-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Looking at the pics of the SU rifles on the Kel-Tec web site, it would appear that any of the rifle stocks could easily be mounted on the PLR-16. In fact, it looks as though the SU 16D is exactly what you described above.

Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

I was thinking the same thing. Rather than spend the $800 or so on a new rifle or who knows how much on a custom stock, I can get the "Charlie" folding stock for $80 from KT. I may buy one just to see if it would work as is or if anything needs to be modified. If there are no problems, I'll just not install the new stock until all the paperwork is done with the feds. I was mainly curious to know if anyone knew for sure and/or had tried it themselves.

I'm sure that there wouldn't be any mechanical issues, and that it would take less than 5 minutes. However, the best place to get a direct answer would be to call or e-mail Kel-Tec and ask them.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

FYI, I've emailed KT several times about the stock over the past several weeks but never received a reply. I guess they don't want to get involved in something that has any possible liability for them if something goes wrong. OTOH, I discovered a friend who works at a gun shop has several SU-16's in stock, one with the CHARLIE folding stock. After talking to him about my latest PLR project, he said bring the gun over and we could see if a direct swap was possible before I spend a lot of time and money on the SBR tax only to get a stock that didn't fit. Anyway, I removed my pistol grip/trigger assembly and took it to the shop. We fitted the PLR grip to the SU-16 and it works like a charm. We compared the two and the innards of both parts are literally identical so I will go out on a limb and say the reverse is also true with the SU stock and a PLR upper. As soon as I can submit a form 1 to the ATF I'll get a stock and I'll have myself a nice little SHTF gun when everything is finished. BTW, as MAGMAN454 said, it will take about 5 minutes to complete the whole swap process. Remove a pin, one screw and the trigger assembly/grip can be pulled off. It's then a matter of sliding the new part in place, replace the pin, tighten one screw and the process is complete. I can only wish the paperwork to make it legal could be done as quickly!!

When it's all said and done, I'll have something almost exactly like this, only my gun will have a red dot scope and probably a vertical grip on the fore grip. I also may add an AR style carrying handle since I have one already...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turning a PLR into a SBR-b_3259414f71ec65c15aba941d10a71f22cimg2467.jpg   Turning a PLR into a SBR-b_30a2df50990f1327831944d5d11372c5cimg2501.jpg  
    Last edited by rachilders; 05-11-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks for the info. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

UPDATE... FYI, after further research I've decided to go ahead with my project. The main reason is I'd like to add the detachable shoulder stock for extra stability when shooting at longer distances (beyond 50 yds) but as already mentioned, doing that would turn my pistol into a rifle as per the ATF. Beyond that, the gun would remain unchanged. My friend has said he would order the folding stock and hold it for me until I'm ready for the modification to eliminate any possible legal questions/problems.

Anyway, I am in the process of completing form 1 as required by the ATF for the necessary stamp and have a few questions that I hope those who have already been through the process of filling out the form may be able to answer. First: the area where you are required to supply your name and address (3b). The form says you only need to fill in your name and address but when you go to the ATF website and read the actual code, it also mentions your date of birth and location. Quote 479.62 "The applicant must be identified on the Form 1 (Firearms) by name and address and,... if an individual, the identification must include the date and place of birth." Which is correct? Second: since I'm simply adding a shoulder stock to an already existing gun with a serial number and the other information required by law provided by K-T, do I still need to create a new serial number/ID or simply use the original number/info that is already on the gun? Finally, are there any particular areas that seem to cause problems/rejections for first time applicants that I should look out for?

Any help from those with more experience with the ATF would be greatly appreciated!

Finally got a return call from the area ATF office last week and an email reply from the home office. Got my questions answered (I hope) and sent in my Form 1 & check a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't take as long to get the stamp as it did to answer all my questions and send in the form. I have a birthday at the end of August. Maybe I'll get my "present" from the BATF by then!

KTrange Contributor
    Good luck man, sounds like a fun project. Some of the laws we have in this country are just retarded.

UPDATE on my SBR project: Last night I was online reviewing my bank account. While there I noticed the check I'd sent with my Form 1 for the class III stamp had cleared earlier in the day. My understanding is if there is a problem of some sort and the BATF denies your application, your check is returned. It seems rather quick - less than a month since I sent it in - compared to many reports of 3-4 months for approval. Still, the fact I'm retired military, a member of our local police reserve and have a CC permit (so my prints and background info are already on file) may have helped speed things along. OTOH, with the current budget crisis maybe the feds decided they need the money more than me!

This is my first experience with the BATF and/or applying for a stamp so I have no point of reference, but I hope this is a sign that my Form 1 has passed muster and my stamp will be in the mail soon. I can't wait to become a member of the Class III club!
    Last edited by rachilders; 07-30-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads