Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: muzzle brake

Junior KTranger

muzzle brake

just picked up my first kel tec today its a plr 16 and was wondering what muzzle brake you all would recommend?

Junior KTranger

Re: muzzle brake

Quote Originally Posted by tboatman
    just picked up my first kel tec today its a plr 16 and was wondering what muzzle brake you all would recommend?
    Although I have not shot it yet I installed a DPMS Levang compensator on mine. The ports come straight out the front, directing the blast forward instead of to the sides or down. This should reduce the fireball somewhat and keep it from blinding the shooter. With a birdcage type flash suppressor the fireball comes out through the side slots - bad for bystanders or fellow bench rest shooters!

KTrange Contributor
    Try a Yankee Hill Phantom.

Welcome to the forum BTW. Don't forget to say hi over in the Welcome Thread.
    Former Member May 2005 - April 2011

Muzzle Brakes and Flash Hiders are two different things:

MB's can get expensive and serve to reduce recoil and muzzle flip by directing the gases to the left and right(most common), up, or forward. Or any combination of the three. They also help reduce your "dust signature" when firing prone since the gases are never directed down. And yes, if you sit next to someone with a side-directed MB you'll notice it. They can be LOUD!

FH's are generally cheap and, as their name implies, serve to hide muzzle flash from the shooter. This was helpful with automatic weapons firing at night to protect soldiers from being blinded by repeated muzzle flashes and getting disoriented. For example, early M-16's were equipped with flash hiders that served that purpose and did nothing about recoil. They were necessary in the dark jungles of Vietnam for our troops.

Bottom line: MB's help control felt recoil and muzzle flip in rapid fire and competition shooting but they can be extremely loud to shooters on your left or right.

FH's help reduce flash blindness for the shooter in low-light conditions, but that's it.

Both look cool as upgrade accessories to your guns, but the MB has the most useful purpose for civilian shooters. (unless you plan on fighting the dreaded night zombies!!!
    "What part of 'Shall not be infringed' do you not understand?"-- Fred Thompson

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -- Winston Churchill

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves." Thomas Jefferson

KTrange Contributor
    Well of course - it ALWAYS about the zombies.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogJohn

FH's help reduce flash blindness for the shooter in low-light conditions, but that's it.

Both look cool as upgrade accessories to your guns, but the MB has the most useful purpose for civilian shooters. (unless you plan on fighting the dreaded night zombies!!!
    I just realized I forgot some critical info: zombies move TOWARD the light so flash hiders might pinpoint your location!!! Just stick to crossbows! Silent, invisible.... deadly.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -- Winston Churchill

KTrange Contributor
    You WANT them to move toward you. Otherwise, you have room full of roadkill smell and a scary game of hide-and-seek.

Hide and seek? You mean all those years of laser tag and paintball training will finally do some good! If only 24 would have a zombies episode this issue would be settled for once and for all...

"WWJBD" (what would Jack Bauer do?)

-- Benjamin Franklin

Junior KTranger
    After trying a few muzzle brakes (including Kel-Tec's) I finally settled on the Linear.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=524840

It may not be the most effective at reducing muzzle climb, but it does help.

Then again, it also doesn't have the sound magnifying effect of the other muzzle brakes.

Subjectively (no measurements taken) it actually seems less noisy than the plain muzzle or a flash hider (at least from the shooter's perspective).

KTrange Contributor
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads