Junior KTranger

My PF-8 Experience

Edit: Typing is not my best talent. Pretent like the PF-8 in the title actually says PF-9.

As I mentioned in the mandatory, new-guy post, I felt the “need” for a small, single stack 9mm. Information on this forum led me to the Kel-Tec PF-9.

I picked up my PF-9 at the Kentucky Gun Company (Guns For Sale Online - Kentucky Gun Co.) for $249.99 plus tax. I was amazed how light it was. Never been a fan of plastic guns, but that may be changing.

Took it home for disassembly, cleaning and lubing before a trip to the range. Disassembly was very easy. Cleaning was unnecessary. Put a few drops of Gun Butter on the rails and reassembled. Reassembly is easy IF you remember to push down on the barrel. I was amazed how simple the design was. I installed the magazine extension that comes with the gun because I didn’t like how my little finger had nothing to grip and curled back under the magazine base.

Packed up the gun, a target, hearing protection and a half a box of Winchester 115 gr FMJ and headed to the range. I knew from reading the forum that it would be a handful shooting as it comes right out of the box, unmodified. I fired two magazines and that was enough. The first three shots were from a rest to check the sights. They were dead on. The magazine extension didn’t really help. Instead of supporting the little finger, it dug into it. I ended up putting it under the extension. With only two fingers on the grip, the gun was a little hard to control. Regardless, I was able to put all 14 rounds into a standard silhouette target from the 25 foot line. You could cover the shot group with a garbage can lid.

The grip panels do make shooting the gun uncomfortable. The gun fired flawlessly. I read some negative comments about the trigger, but I found it completely acceptable. A whole lot better than some revolvers I have fire double action.

The first order of business will be the two most widely mentioned upgrades for the PF-9, the Hogue Handall Jr grip sleeve and the 8th round magazine extension.
    Last edited by Bldg365; 08-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory."

-Jeff Cooper

KTRangePro
    You won't regret the grip sleeve. Money well spent.

Junior KTranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbird1 View Post
    You won't regret the grip sleeve. Money well spent.
    Get a grip sleeve for sure. Most recommend the Hogue HandAll Jr so that's what I bought too! I would recommend the LimbSaver grip sleeve be given some consideration. It has a tab at the top,rear part of tbe sleeve that offers some padding to the hand between the thumb and index finger. I can't remember the # for the right size for the PF9, perhaps someone that has one will volunteer it. TG
    Tough are the souls that tread the knife's edge.

Great report and exactly how I feel about my P-3AT. Perect firing everytime I pull the trigger. I tried the mag extension and didn't like them and removed them, fits in my poket better without it anyway...

Welcome!

Junior KTranger
    Using info found on this forum, last night I ordered the 8th round magazine extension from Kel-Tec (Kel Tec CNC - $13.50) and the Hogue Handall Jr from Cheaper Than Dirt (Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter - $6.03). I also ordered two additional eight round magazines from Joe Bob Outfitters (JoeBobOutfitters.com - $29.95). They were out of stock on the Kel-Tec website and Joe Bob was $1.55 cheaper.

Not being one to sit by the mailbox and wait, I followed the advice of many on this forum and cut a bicycle intertube up and slipped a piece on the grips. I also filed down the magazine extension that came with the gun until the profile matched the grip. The gun felt a lot better in my hand.

Off to the range. Fired four magazines with no malfunctions. The intertube made the gun a lot less punishing to shoot, so Iím guessing the Hogue Handall Jr will be a big improvement. Filing the magazine extension didnít help. It didnít dig into my finger anymore, but it didnít supply enough extra length to give me a better grip. Shot group was a little bit better and my hand didnít hurt. I think when the suggested improvements are all applied, the PF-9 will be a great concealed carry weapon.
    "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory."

-Jeff Cooper

Junior KTranger
    The Hogue Handall Jr and the extended magazines arrived yesterday. After soaking the grip sleeve in hot water, it slipped on without too much effort. With the eight round magazine inserted, the PF-9 now has a great feel in my hand. Off to the range.

The gun is now more comfortable to shoot. With the firmer grip, I have confidence in it and in my ability to hit what I am aiming at. I fired three full magazines without malfunction. The rounds fired at center mass of a standard silhouette target were all within the 8 ring (12Ē x 18Ē). It will never be a bulls eye target shooting gun, but as a CCW, it will work just fine. I am very happy with this gun.

The PF-9 is probably more accurate than my capability to shoot it accurately. My eyes arenít what they used to be and in order to see the sights clearly, I have to roll my head backwards until I hit just the right spot in my bifocals for the sights to be clear. While I can shoot pretty accurately this way, itís not practical for a high stress situation that a self-defense engagement would be. When the sights are clear, the target is fuzzy. Not a problem unless the target may shoot back. Then you want to be completely focused on the target. Thatís why Iíve had to resort to using lasers on all of my defensive weapons.

My compact carry weapon (CZ P-01) and my nightstand gun (CZ 75BD) both have Crimson Trace lasers. I like Crimson Trace because the natural action of gripping the weapon activates the laser. No switch to turn off and on. And slightly relaxing the middle finger turns the laser off if you donít want to give your position away. One of my criteria for selecting the PF-9 was that Crimson Trace made a laser for it. So I went to the Shooters Resource website (www.shooters-resource.com) and ordered one. Luck was with me because they had 12.5% off on all Crimson Trace laser and free shipping.

This is probably the last modification I need to make, unless I decide to try one of the aftermarket triggers.

-Jeff Cooper

Junior KTranger
    While the 8 rnd mag extension does/may provide for a "better" feel as does the pinky extension on the standard mag (at least in my hand), I do believe that concealability is most certainly affected. I don't have an 8 rnd mag but I have 2 with the "pinky" extension and 1 with the stock base plate. When I'm concerned about concealability, I use the stock mag. Bottom line, I'm not so sure that the 8 rnd mag is worth the extra $$ or, more importantly, the loss of concealment. I'm just sayin'. TG
    Tough are the souls that tread the knife's edge.

Junior KTranger
    My PF9 has been out of commission 3 times since new purchase March 2012. First off, a broken firing pin. That was an easy fix, but took time to get factory moving. Next: On it's return: Jamming and more jamming. Factory asked for slide only to be returned. Slide only. That is like auto company asking you send only the transmission for repair, not bring in the whole car. Slide returned after 4 weeks, jammed on the 4th round. Returned July 9th (factory took 15 plus days to "authorize" the return). Still no sign of gun. Call to factory reveals terrible customer service. CS had no idea where the gun was, but it was there somewhere. Not sure what they are going to do since the gun "had not been looked at yet" so I have no idea what factory is deciding. You be the judge. I no longer trust the gun. Cannot recommend this dependability or service. I intend to talk everyone I can out of spending hard earned money for this kind of experience. Be forwarned.

Junior KTranger
    Top Gun: Agree 100%. That little 5/8” added to the magazine can completely destroy the conceal-ability of the gun in certain carry positions. And I think conceal-ability was the main purpose of the gun, being a single stack. I’m not sure that the trade-off of conceal-ability for control is worth it. I probably should have fired more than 42 rounds before going with the mag extension. Maybe I could have learned to be comfortable with it. Since the “pinky” extension that came with the gun hurt more than helped, the better solution might have been to find (if it exist) an extension that I could modify to fit the gun that would give more support. I modified a Pearce extension for the 9mm Springfield XD to fit my 9mm CZ RAMI. Works great, no loss of conceal-ability.

milwman: Sorry to hear about your problems. The only thing worse than buying a new gun and it won’t run right is it taking more than one trip to the manufacturer to get it fixed. Hope they get you squared away. In your shoes, I would probably feel the same way.

-Jeff Cooper

Ads