Kel-Tec Forum banner

Need help on reassembly

16K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  spctr 
#1 ·
I have a PF-9 that is acting up on reassembly. I will have the slide assembled and slide it onto the rails of the frame. When I draw the slide to the rear, to insert the take down pin, the barrel goes back with the slide. the best i have gotten it, was with the barrel in a half open position with the slide all the way back. I am either inserting the take down pin in front of the locking bar, or the locking bar is blocking the hole because it traveled back. Either way, the barrel is not in the proper place for reassembly. Please help.

#2 ·
put barrel and spring in the slide. make sure the recoil spring/rod is in place. put slide on frame and lock back. barrel should fall forward so you can get the take down pin in. if not shake the gun to make the barrel slide forward. work with it. it will fall in place. sometime it takes some time.

#3 ·
Are you pushing down on the back of the barrel , through the ejection port , as you push slide backwards to lock open position? If not , this is probably your problem. It will cam downward a fraction of an inch . Take down Pin should slip right into place when it is done.

#5 ·
I've got a post on here somewhere from about 5 years ago explaining to our late, great Byron how to re-assemble the PF9. I no longer have one, but still remember discovering a little hand trick that worked like a charm. Hold the pistol facing to your left (with slide on) in the left hand, and have the "meaty part" of your thumb/palm right on top of the ejection port. As you push the slide towards the rear, use the thick part of your thumb/palm to slightly depress the barrel through the ejection port. When you get the pin hole lined up, you should still have enough fingers available on the left hand to hold everything in place in order to easily pop the pin in without dinging the retainer spring. Works like a charm.

I seem to remember Byron trying to claim my procedure caused a life threatening wound to his palm, but since he's gone and not able to rib me any longer, I will refrain from any joking comments. RIP old buddy.

surv

#6 · (Edited)
Classic, Byron was a true character. :cool:

Re-assembly %*#(*$!%^#*
I took my PF9 apart to clean it Tuesday and i have been trying to get it back together ever since. I finally called Kel-Tec today and talked to a young lady who told me to "push down on the chamber shroud of the bbl. as i was sliding on the assembly so the bbl. would drop down". i did so but i need three hands. The damn thing didn't get locked, came forward, and took a chunk out of the bottom of my thumb. I'm on cumiden and I'm bleeding like a stuck pig. I have a compression bandage on it but I'm having a dickens of a time stopping the bleeding. she said that ypu have to do that with all the PF9's. Has any one else had this problem?​
Crying out loud! I got blood all over the slide and everyone knows what blood does to bluing. I had to wash it off with hot water and douse it with CLP. I'm going to go lay down! My thumb looks like a Kielbasa.
Geez surv, could you send your wife and any bystanders you happen to have available over? I'll let them do it and just watch.
what is this choreograph crap? I'm not Fred Astaire. I'm not going dancing. Why can't I just stick my empty mag. in it? Igor couldn't move That slide lock. I can't even open "child proof" bottles. You should see my thumb! My wife said she's not messing with the gun. I don't get any co-operation around here.It's the middle of the afternoon, why aren't you working? You must have a job like norf's. I think I'll look around inside the grip and see what I can file off. It's got to be hanging up on something! Do you think it would help if i bought a monkey. I want some other suggestions. Can somebody help me? If I ever get it back together I'll never take it apart again. I'll just lock the slide back and blow it out with starter fluid and compressed air. This desk looks an accident scene.
"Put it back together tomorrow"? I'd sooner stick my hand in an Alligators mouth than attempt that. I may be crippled for life. One more session with the PF9 and people will refer to me as "Captain Hook" You obviously don't realize the seriousness of my injury. I'm thinking of applying to Social Security for disability payments. I'm in unbearable pain and may need a transfusion and you're telling me to "put it back together tomorrow" I had an M1 thumb that wasn't as bad as this. I think I'll get the kid next door and let him try it. I don't like him anyway. I'm going to make a list of every one who ever did anything to me and invite all of them over to give it a go. I'm sending an engraved invitation to that girl at Kel-Tec. It's all her fault! Dracula probably follows PF9 owners around......... he doesn't have to bite them.
By George I did it. Really, the biggest problem is the arthritis in my laft hand. I have almost no "pinch power" with my left thumb. I attached a piece of anti slip tape to the left rear of the slide such as is used in bathtubs, pushed down with the base of the thumb and SHAZAM everything went together like I knew what I was doing! surv, I take back everything I ever said about you. It worked so slick I took it apart and did it again!
http://www.ktrange.com/forum/pf-9/5329-re-assembly.html

RIP Byron.

#12 ·
Thank you all for the posts. I just received the Twisted Industries 22lr conversion slide for my PF-9 and it slipped right on like it belonged there. Finished plinking around and tried to slip the 9mm slide back on and the problems began. Fortunately you all had all the tricks mapped out. Thanks a million!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.