Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Junior KTranger
    I had the same problems with my PF9 and FTE’s. I found this fix:

Kel-Tec pf9 FTE - Failure To Eject problems

After the fix, I can get through roughly 100-200 rounds before the tiny gun is just too dirty and starts having problems anyway. That said, it made me comfortable with the PF9 as my daily carry again.

Junior KTranger
    The 1st firing of 150+ rounds were w/o problem. The next had persistent fte's and a very short secession. I did a through cleaning and oiling and on another day, Same continued problem. 40 out of 100 rounds, 3 different brands of ammo including Winchester Whitebox and federal, were fte. I used a caliper to mic the spent brass and found about .002 to .003 in. runout, also present and caused by the chamber. I suspect the extractor arm allows slight rotation and the HOT out of round brass drags and causes a jam in the out of round chamber and/or the arm slips off leaving the casing jammed between the breach and port. The cause for the out of round chamber may be inadequate Metallurgical heat treating of the barrel, to allow warpage after the 1st real heating and cooling cycle. This may be worsened by the asymmetrical breach with ramp.

I guess I will try to talk with a Kel Tec tech to get an RMA for repair with a new Proper Barrel.

Ken

KTRangePro
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana1978 View Post
    Hello,
    I took it to the range today, and the problem seemed to be worse.
    There are alot of people out there that has problems with jamming because they are not used to such a light gun with recoil and they limpwrist.

Sometimes Limpwristing will cause a jam and sometimes Limpwristing will cause the ejected casing to fly back and bounce off the shooters forehead.
    (GET A 45ACP CASING BOUNCING OFF YOUR FOREHEAD IT HURTS!!!)

Alot of times the gun will shoot fine through the first 10 rounds or so but then the shooters wrist gets weak without the shooter even realizing it and thats when the problems start.

Junior KTranger
    I bought a PF-9 & liked it so well bought another for a back up. After appx 1,000- 1,500 rounds the BU gun had FTE problems. So 1 1/2 months later still don't have a back-up. May reevaluate my CC gun. ?? My original has appx 2,000 trouble
    free rounds. We'll see. I really like the gun but wondering how reliable it is.

KTrange Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by wicastawakan View Post
    I bought a PF-9 & liked it so well bought another for a back up. After appx 1,000- 1,500 rounds the BU gun had FTE problems. So 1 1/2 months later still don't have a back-up. May reevaluate my CC gun. ?? My original has appx 2,000 trouble
    free rounds. We'll see. I really like the gun but wondering how reliable it is.
    The unfortunate thing about the manufacturing process KT uses is that some come off the line perfect, while others need some love. For example, my first P3AT was flawless, but my second has been having some issues and I'm sending the top-end of it to Cocoa, FL to let them tweak it a bit.

Hope they can do the same for your B/U... I'd recommend calling over email, much faster response .

Junior KTranger
    My PF-9 experienced FTEs after about 160-170 rounds. The first thing I did was to take the extractor out and actually file a little off the base--not the sharp part that grabs the bullet, but the flat part that has the sharp part and the round part at each end. Made it marginally thinner. That reduced the number of FTEs down to about 2 per magazine, but now I'll have to oil it when I clean because the black is gone... It did NOT eliminate ALL the FTEs however. So, after reading all the posts on here, I doubled the springs and cut a new 6-32 bolt to be just a little longer than the original so the firing pin wouldn't come out. Now it fires every time. I did discover something interesting that I haven't seen anybody else mention--the springs, screws and extractors are identical on the PF-9 and the (2nd generation) P3AT. In fact I used a P3AT spring as my second spring on the PF-9. Hmmm. I wonder why it costs a dollar more to get the PF-9 parts from Kel Tec than it costs for the identical P3AT parts?
    Keith
    Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LC9, Ruger Mk 2 .22, S&W .357 magnum revolver, .22 Savage semi-auto rifle, .22 Phoenix Arms semi-auto handgun, Mossburg 500 shotgun

i also doubled up my extractor springs and DING!! problem solved. now my pf9 has been flawless

Junior KTranger
    I put another 58 rounds of JHPs through my PF-9 today. No FTEs, but did have one FTL after about 40 rounds or so. Bumped the slide and the bullet popped into the chamber. No failures for the next 15-17 rounds. These guns really like to be clean. I was shooting to adjust the rear sight. I was at 7 yards, freehand. I think I need to be more stable to really get it right. This is two magazines.
    Last edited by Kjhansen; 11-07-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Keith
    Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LC9, Ruger Mk 2 .22, S&W .357 magnum revolver, .22 Savage semi-auto rifle, .22 Phoenix Arms semi-auto handgun, Mossburg 500 shotgun

good shooting with a snappy little gun!

i was actually at keltec on friday becasue i had a problem with my new week old PF9. i think keltec has caught on that people are doing this and they do not want people doubling up the extractor springs. i was about to put 2 springs on my new PF9 and when i tried to unscrew the screw, it stripped out completely. so i drove over to keltec (its nice having then 20 minutes away) and spoke to Flo there. she said they are using a new bonding material, stronger then locktite to secure that screw so the consumer wont take it off. so if you have a new PF9 manufactured in the past couple months, be careful trying to uncrew that.

Junior KTranger
    It is a recognized problem I would think. I own two PF-9's & both w/extractor problems. One has been at KT since September 12 almost 3 months. FTE. Live in a large city & purchased a second PF-9 as a back-up. Oop's......FTE also. As soon as I get #1 back, I am sending in #2 for repair. I did purchase a 3rd 9mm (another company). I love my PF-9 when it works. I have two w/crimson lasers. Since neither gun is operable, I purchased a new 9mm & went another direction. Love the laser but I am going to try lighted sights on my new pistol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Ads