Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Primer flow

Junior KTranger

Primer flow

A friend has a PF-9, Ser #: R27##, bought in Sept., with +- 300 rnds thru, that is creating primer flow in 3 different kinds of ammo. (WWB, Rem UMC and another) Some is not that bad but some that is flowing back into the FP indentation and pretty much totally filling it in.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you!
    Bo
    "Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction." (Eisenhower)

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not familiar with the term "primer flow".
    ???

Me either. You mean the gun is getting dirty? Maybe it's time to clean it.
    One, two, three, four, five, six, seven... Oswald was a fag. - McManus
    Nolan Web Development
    Guitars and Synths.com

I have heard the term before and am under the impression that it refers to molten metal flowing rearward out of the primer pocket most often caused by an off center firing pin strike that pierces the surrounding brass that contains the cup that holds the primer material.
    "the female of the species is more deadly than the male" Rudyard Kipling

RIP Byron L. Bell 1935 - 2010

A couple definitions from the SAAMI glossary

PRIMER CRATERING
    A circumferential rearward flow of metal surrounding the indentation of a firing-pin in a fired primer cup.

PRIMER FLOW-BACK
    See Primer Cratering.

PRIMER LEAK
    The escape of gas between the primer cup and head of the cartridge case, or shotshell head.

PRIMER SETBACK
    The condition when a primer, or battery cup primer assembly, moves partially out of its proper location in the primer pocket of a metallic cartridge or shotshell during firing.

I've had this on some of my reloads, with the PF-9, decreased the powder some and the problem stopped.

Primer flow looks like the raised area around the firing pin dent, the primer is actually trying to flow back into the firing pin hole.
    Lots of KT's

Thanks, Zeke! Now, is this condition the fault of the firearm, or more a problem with the ammunition? What you just described sounds more like inferior primers. I need to go look at the rest of the SAAMI definitions.
    ???

When it happens with a variety of ammo, I would attribute it more likely to a firing pin being a smidgen too long, off center or an overly robust strike.
    "the female of the species is more deadly than the male" Rudyard Kipling

RIP Byron L. Bell 1935 - 2010

I agree that a variety of ammo would certainly suggest the gun has a defect.
    ???

Junior KTranger
    If I can pad my post count, I'll add this opinion. Its been my experience with modern firearms for the firing pin to be too short to strike the primer when the hammer is just resting on the bolt. There's a spring that pushes the firing pin towards the hammer, pulling it out of the primer, and leaving a void in the breach face after its fired. Obviously, there has to be a hole(centerfire) in the bolt for the FP to strike the primer. If there are no other signs of excessive pressure, I don't think there's a problem with a small raised rim around the FP strike. If metal from the primer is pushed into the FP hole, and there's still an indent from the FP strike, it would tell me that my weapon is staying in battery for a proper amount of time, and I'm shooting a round that may be as hot as I should use or load.

I've been wrong before; ask my wife.

Enjoy - Snat

In my case I think it was a combination of the ammo and the Gun.

I could shoot these reloads in my P11 and didn't have the same problems I had with the PF9. In the P11 the primers would be just a little bit flattened (a sign that the pressure was as high as I wanted to go) by the breech face, but I didn't notice any primer flow. With the PF9 the primer was trying to enter the firing pin hole, it was then being shaved off by the breech face, this in turn was causing me some light strike problems.

My theory is that the clearance around the firing pin might be a hair more than on the P11. Just a theory though as I haven't done any measurements.

Surv, to find the SAMMI glossary I did a google for primer flow.
    Lots of KT's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads