Chrome Lined barrels?

Boy am I glad I logged on to KTRange! I was about to go out and get a PM-9 (after much deliberation over the P11, as well as the P3AT, and the Firestorm .380) for CCW.
    But the PF-9 has it all, and from a great company too!

But I have a question for those magical workers at Kel-Tec (I affectionately consider them similar to the magical elves who make cookies :-)

Will there be Chrome Lined barrels produced for the these or other KT pistols?
    My Su-16 is lacking in that area, and I have yet to see a P-11 up close at the shops here in town, but I haven't found any information regarding it, yet.

Please enlighten me, as I am anxiously waiting to carry something that I can carry with a round in the chamber, unlike my Makarov.
    Thanks
    VHFKID

I doubt Kel-Tec will bother with chrome lined barrels anytime soon. These pistols aren't really target guns that rack up huge round counts, they are intended to be concealed backup weapons that get carried a lot, shot just enough to keep your eye in. If you should ever wear one out, KT will give you a new one.

Don't understand why you seem to think you need a chrome barrel to carry with a round in the chamber. Why would that make any difference??? By the way, the Makarov DOES have a chrome barrel and you can easily carry with one in the pipe. I do it all the time. The safety decocks the pistol and can be left in the safe position or moved back to the ready position. In the later case, you have a double action pistol just like the P-9. You can carry safely either way.

CA
    I'm CA-guy and I approved this message.

CA-guy. I don't think this is a Makarov forum, but just so you know, Makarov's do NOT have a firing pin return spring. You should normally hear the firing pin jiggle.
    I wouldn't feel safe wearing one with a round in the pipe. Especially when I run and work in odd places regularly.
    Hence the reason I went looking for a good daily carry firearm, and found the PF-9.

Has anyone heard more about it's release date? I am itching to spend my tax return $'s.

Junior KTranger
    Haven't heard exact release date, but local shops all say they will jump on it when it comes out. Apparently they're expecting brisk sales, and some are taking advance orders from customers.

As for the chrome bore, I'm not sure what the advantage would be on this type of pistol. Corrosion is a concern on a carry gun, but I carry a P-11 or P-3AT (depending upon time of year) in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster every day. The blue is worn thin on both guns, but I've never had a corrosion problem.

phooey, i carry my mak with one in the chamber and the hammer down whenever i use it. have never heard of an A.D.
    "the female of the species is more deadly than the male" Rudyard Kipling

RIP Byron L. Bell 1935 - 2010

The firing pin on a Mak isn't restrained by a return spring because it doesn't need one. The pin is very light and depends on a high velocity strike to set off a cartridge. I think the Russian military might have noticed if they were plagued by ADs. After all, solders run and jump around some too. Of course, I also know the Mak passed the CA drop test. I carry with one in the pipe when I carry. Why in the world would anyone carry a gun that couldn't be fired without a long, two handed exercise in futility under stress? Just carry it and stop thinking you know more than Mr. Makarov.

CA
    I'm CA-guy and I approved this message.

Junior KTranger
    CA-guy
    There may be a difference between how sensitive a russian military primer is and some commercial USA primers. The fact that it passed a drop test seems to be more important.

Junior KTranger
    I have a PF-9 in Hard Chrome. The slide, slide stop, barrel and pin (all four) came whth hard chrome on them. The barrel appears to have been dipped as that is the process of chrome plating and appeared to have chrome all over and in the chamber so I would guess the bore was chrome plated as well. I always provide some personal TLC to every pistol I own. It shoots great with anything I can load into the magazine.

To me hard chrome is the only way to go. Let me explain why. The other day (early August) I had the PF-9 on me all day long with 90 plus degree temperature all day long out where it was hot and very humid. I did not enjoy the feeling and moisture content on me and I drank a lot of water across the course ot the 10 plus hours I was out in the heat.

I felt the moisture between me and the IWB holster with the PF-9 in it all day long. My thought was that when I got home there would be extended activity on the bench for rust control. Well I unloaded it, pulled the pin and took it apart. To my pleasant suprise there was absolutely NO RUST anywhere. Thank you Kel Tec you won me for sure.

Back at the end if July I had my 1911 (all steel) on me for 4 hours in a similar condition. Well guess what I had rust everywhere and It took me forever to clean it and stop the problem. As for now my 1911 remains safely tucked away until the weather gets cooler before I will go back to using it on a daily basis. The stainless steel 40 has stepped in for the 45.

I cannot say the inside of the barrel is chrome plated but I can say that I am pleased with what I found on my HC PF-9.

Junior KTranger
    Accurate Plating and Wheaponry Inc.

I have read that this is the company that does the hard chrome finishing for Kel Tec.

http://www.apwcogan.com/Refinishing.htm

Ads