Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: P3AT Sights

Junior KTranger

P3AT Sights

Has anyone tried the P-SIGHT from PS Enhancements? Sure would like some feedback before I purchase one.
    I put small bright orange dots front and rear. Works pretty good on both black and white targets. But this new sight has my attention.

Thanks

Banned
    I know a few people have ordered and installed them, but they haven't reported back yet on their performance...
    Results will hopefully start to trickle in soon.
    Flyer

Junior KTranger
    Mine will be getting installed on Saturday. A couple days for the cure on the glue and I'll get a report posted.

I got the sights about a week ago, put it on and waited the indicated 5 days. First impression is that this is a lot of money for a speck of plastic smaller than my little finger nail, but of course someone must pay for the tooling. Anyway, it's not much of a bargain, but I knew that when I ordered it and it fit perfectly, so what more could I want.

Took it to the range today and fired off 50 rounds. I found that at first I was LESS accurate than before. You suddenly have half a dozen sight pictures to choose from, and it takes some getting used to. I was off the paper my first mag, then got better. By the end of the box, I was back to about where I was before I put the sight on, say 4 or 5 inch groups at 7 yards.

I only bought this sight because I realize that there is just no way I'm ever going to be about to carry (unless I move), so I thought it might be fun to plink with once in a while. So far, I don't see a dramatic improvement. Maybe once I get another couple hundred rounds downrange it'll become more familiar, but unless you want to shoot targets and have some time to figure out the sight picture, I really wouldn't bother. For those who use the P-32 as a bug and only plan to shoot it up close and personal, these are really a waste of time. The factory sights are just fine for the intended purpose of the gun.

CA
    I'm CA-guy and I approved this message.

I was just hoping that it would raise the rear of the gun a little. My P3AT shoots about 6 inches low at 5 yards and 8 or so at 10 yards. I figured I'd order one and fill in the notch a little if need be to make it shoot to point of aim.
    The Second Amendment is too important to budge even an inch. No compromise.
    Your 1st Amendment rights are only guaranteed by your 2nd Amendment Rights.

Banned
    One of the potential problems with this sight (and again, I've never used one so can't endorse or dismiss it), is that you're still missing a good FRONT sight!
    The triangle simply isn't gonna cut it. You need a small blade there to get an acceptable sight picture.
    I'd post a pic of my sights on my ATs... except I know I'd get bombarded with requests for "drop-in" versions! Problem is, they're fitted into a little dovetail filed into the top of the slide... takes quite a bit of work.
    I dunno... maybe I'll look into this a little more. There SHOULD be a way to make a front sight that could be attached with glue and remain solidly in place...
    Flyer

CA-guy: Thanks for an honest report. Sounds like you're a very good shooter. Getting 4-inch groups at 7 yards from a P-3AT with factory sights is pretty impressive IMO! Sorry you don't get to carry it for its intended purpose. Maybe someday CA will wake up!

Flyer: You're exactly right! I'm just now starting to get feedback from those who have installed the P-Sight. Thus far, it's been very positive. I should have some user comments on the website soon.

Also, as far as the front sight, I agree that a square element would be best. However, the small amount of real estate available for the rear sight means it's very small, as noted by CA-guy, and in keeping with my desire to preserve the footprint of the pistol. Thus, there's not a lot of sight picture room left over. A square front element "blocking out" or covering the factory front triangle would be too big. I think the only way to do it would be to mill off the triangle and attach a small front blade. Feasible, but not easy.

While I do have a vested interest in saying this, I do find the sight picture with the P-Sight installed to be quite adequate. Enough daylight left and right of the front element to center and level it with ease:

G33: Like most if not all P-3AT's, mine, which was the guinea pig pistol, shot low at 5 yards. During testing, I mounted a P-Sight prototype onto my pistol by snugly fitting it into the rear sight cavity, then using a thin strip of masking tape around the back end of the slide, but above the hammer. It held the prototype in place very well. I then fired it, and incrementally shimmed it with small pieces of a thin plastic card until POI matched POA. This allowed me to determine the final dimensions of the P-Sight. Keep in mind that different pistols are, well, different, but the P-Sight will at least drastically improve point of impact if not put it right on point of aim at 5 yards.
    Greg Bunch
    gbunch@PSEnhancements.com

PS Enhancements
    Home of the P-Sight
    Rear blade sight for P-3AT and P-32

SHIPPING AGAIN AS OF 3/31/2007!

See the Concealed Carry Magazine P-Sight review

BEWARE OF COUNTERFEIT P-SIGHTS!

Junior KTranger

P3AT Sights

Thanks for the replies on the P-SIGHT.
    FLYER...I agree that you need a good front sight to make any rear sight work.

BULLSEYE (who just survived a major heart attack and is back on the range as good as ever!)

I might be way out in left field on this one. What about maybe using a BB for a front sight?
    The Second Amendment is too important to budge even an inch. No compromise.
    Your 1st Amendment rights are only guaranteed by your 2nd Amendment Rights.

Banned
    A BB would work, but it's got one problem... it's heavy!
    Sounds stupid, eh? But that slide's really moving on it's way back, and it'd have to be pretty strong glue to hold even that much steel in place.
    An alternative would be a gold or silver bead from a craft store. These are available in either plastic or glass (I'd go with plastic!), and have very little weight. In fact, a good cyanoacrylate glue (Krazy-Glue) should hold it in place just fine.
    Oh yeah, if you're gonna mount a bead, here's an old R/C modeler's trick for making these glues work better:
    After prepping the area behind the front site where you'll put the bead, i.e., hitting it with a little steel wool to roughen the surface and some alchohol to remove oil, lightly dust the area with baking soda. Dip the bead into it too, and lightly blow off the excess.
    The baking soda acts as an accelerant; it's going to harden that glue right now! Any excess around the area will soak up excess glue and become hard as a rock, so be sure you don't overdo it.
    Anyow, in my experience this will double the strength of the bond.
    Flyer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads