Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Actually, it's Flyer to the defense... of the Beretta!
    The Tomcat is NO POS. Heavy and bulky, yup. Beautifully made and reliable, yup!
    It's the truth... the Beretta isn't supposed to have an extractor. It doesn't NEED one. Once the slide's back, there's no ejection port to toss the case through... just wide blue sky above. The case forcing the slide to the rear provides plenty of force for the ejector to knock it out of the way.
    And, since the Beretta has the tilting barrel, there's no need for an extractor to un-chamber a round, either... just let the barrel up and dump it into your hand!
    In the case of a pistol having a full slide unlike the Beretta, it's lack of an ejector IS a BAD idea.
    I'd say the two pistols serve slightly different roles.
    The Beretta is easier to use for women particularly, since it can be loaded/unloaded without need for physical strength, i.e., racking the slide. It's got more gripping area, and makes a nice 'house' mousegun.
    For CCW, there's no question... the P-32 is the best choice. Nothing is as flat or as light.
    But, I don't consider the Beretta a bad gun at all... in fact, if I DID, I'd be a total jackass for giving my mother a Titanium one with a front night sight for her bedroom nightstand!
    Flyer

Aha! By Jove!

Ole Flyer knows his stuff! I conseede on the Beretta. Never fired one, only looked it over, so really can't say. But the short barrel length does concern me as far as hollowpoint expansion goes. We didn't get too gooda results with the P32 a few years ago with JHP's in the wetpack test so a shorter barrel isn't gonna help. And remember Goldenloki's data kinda said the same thing with gelatin. http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/32acp/gel32acp.htm
    But maybe CorBon's hot stuff (I hate it) might still expand in the Beretta since it did pretty good in the P32, as I remember.
    But then, I think we all agreed a long time ago that FMJ's were the best way to go in .32cal short barrels, like the P32, anyway.

Here is one of the finest web pages anywhere on .32acp JHP expansion......

http://stevespages.com/page8f32acp.html

He has a excellent table down the page for the P32 with factory loadings. Best I've ever seen.
    Later, when I get time, I'm going to try and duplicate Ricciardelli's water jug test with the P32 and Win Silvertip ammo. His tests were all with the longer barrel Walther so it'll be interesting to see what happens with a P32. Only drawback is the jugs are only good for one shot. Hard to draw a statistic with only one data point! We'll see.

In the meantime, thanks, Flyer, for all you do.

Cheers,
    og
    Older Than Dirt and Dumber Than A Geico CaveMan

what Flyer said ^^

The Tomcat is a great little gun. Better in a purse than a pocket with that thick little grip, but I'm sure not ashamed to carry it when in the woods. The P-32 is a much better concealment gun, at a cheaper price, but it's not exactly a sweetheart to shoot. In fact we bought a P-32 for my Mom to carry concealed; only had it for a day or two until she fired it, and then we traded it in on the Beretta. I do wish it had a slide lock though, but with its system of recoil springs in the grips, I don't think one would fit in there without adding even more thickness.
    Currently Kel-Tecless

darn!!

Well, darn you guys. Now I'm thinking I need to go buy the Beretta the dealer had!!
    What's a good price?
    og

Junior KTranger
    I owned a Seecamp LWS-32, and IMHO it was a mediocre design (only works with Silvertips) and a truly lousy piece of...
    manufacturing.

The machining was really awful overall, and it broke its firing pin three times efore I dumped it, due to incredibly bad quality control.

It was also clearly not designed for human hands, at least not for anyone over 9 years old, and had more sharp corners on it than a carving knife - a most unpleasant gun to carry or shoot.

By comparison, my P3 has been more reliable, and is a much better-designed gun than the Seecmp.

Beretta vetoed!!

thank you, bigbird, for the report. I'd not seen a SeeCamp so your report confirms my suspicions.

And my interest in the Beretta Tomcat has been vetoed, by the little lady of the house. I suggested to her that she might like to try a different gun than her P32. When I showed her the picture and specs for the TomCat she said absoluetly no!. She doesn't want anything with a bunch of levers and buttons to push, no safety switch for sure, no hammer either. And the idea of a flip up barrel where she has to load a round was out for sure. She wants it to be ready by her bedstand to shoot immediately without having to do anything but aim and pull the trigger. So back to square one, I'm not getting a Beretta to try. The P32 is still the BEST!

Sorry, Flyer and bulbman, I won't be able to support your choice. BTW, have you seen all the bad reports on the Tomcat over at pistolsmith.com? Frames cracking and lots of FTF's.
    Seems the only frames for it are aluminum (even the Inox) to keep weight down.

Well, until another day. (BTW, those .32mag revolvers have a BIG, noisy recoil.)
    og...........

anybody want to support the NAA POS?

Banned
    Gotta be careful what you read... some people like to pick on certain guns!
    Beretta introduced the Tomcat initially with a slim slide, and some of them cracked or their frames were damaged at high round counts.
    Beretta re-designed the entire slide and came out with the "wide body" Tomcat... set the two side-by-side and the difference is huge. Makes it bigger, but also more durable.
    Flyer

you should be able to pick up a new kitty for around $250-300 depending on how much change your gun dealer wants to make. Your wife might change her mind once she feels one, soon you'll wish all guns (blowback at least) had a tip up barrel, it becomes quite hard to live without it. Easy to unload and it wont damage your ammo with repeated cyclings. True, it has a safety lever, which is the only thing I hate about it. I just leave the damn safety off and the hammer down, works fine for me. None of the levers or buttons (just one ) ever get in my way. Just try one, maybe a range nearby has one for rental, or your gun store has a used one theyll let you test fire. If you're not 100% satisfied, simply...
    Currently Kel-Tecless

Will do....

Thanks for more info. The Beretta will stay on my list. I'll watch for a good price.
    og...........

Flyer, I'm surprised you didn't ask me why I left the .32NAA/CorBon monster off the list. I'm still mad at them for what has to be the biggest POS gun and ammo I ever got sucked into buying.

Banned
    I didn't mention the .32 NAA because I put a newly designed, better barrel in my P-3AT and am now using it instead of the .380!
    Out of the P-3AT recoil isn't any greater than the .380 and it makes a huge fireball, deafening blast, and completely annihilates whatever I shoot with it.
    If Kel-Tec ever gets around to chambering the P-3AT in the .32 NAA, I'd pick it over the .380 in a heartbeat.
    Flyer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads