Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winchester White Box 115gr JHP

I noticed that my WWB 115gr JHP was sticking when I racked the slide to eject the chambered round before my regular cleaning. I had not been carrying one in the chamber so this was the first time I had to eject an unfired round in recent memory.

After the initial "sticking", I hand cycled a whole magazine of the 115gr JHP with the same sticking issue. Tried a couple mags of UMC 115g FMJ with no sticking.

When I examined the hand cycled rounds, the WWB JHP's had friction marks at the top of the case (where it mates with the bullet). This was all around the round. I believe this is what was sticking.

Note: I practice with these two rounds every 2-3 months and have not noticed an issue with ejecting under live fire.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Race and religion are convenient excuses... Marlin336
    (1/2 German, 1/4 English, 1/8 French, 1/8 Cherokee) AND 100% son of the living God through faith in Christ

KTrange Contributor
    115gr. JHP? I've never seen WWB JHP, much less a 115gr version...

I got a bunch of 'em.

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WN&prodID=W NUSA9JHP&prodTitle=Winchester®

Caliber: 9mm Luger
    • Grain: 115gr
    • Bullet Type: Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Velocity: 1225 fps
    • 50 Rounds per Box[/h]
    Name:  WNUSA9JHP_med.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by Haugrdr; 01-29-2012 at 09:45 PM.

That is the area where the rounds head space in the chamber.

If you have not had the same issue with other brands or weights, then the brass for this lot of ammo was most likely improperly sized at the factory. If this is the case, call Winchester, inform them of the issue, and see how they want to handle it.

If you do have the same problem with other ammo, then your chamber has been cut too shallow. Contact Kel-Tec. They will most likely have you send in the barrel for cambering, but may send you a new one instead.
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

I have only noticed it on the WWB 115gr JHP. The brass does not appear any longer than the UMC FMJ with the rounds sitting side by side. I will bring home a micrometer from work to check for any variances. Thanks all.
    (1/2 German, 1/4 English, 1/8 French, 1/8 Cherokee) AND 100% son of the living God through faith in Christ

Hey there. I'm a new P11 owner. Just got it Friday and went to the range yesterday. Had a box of Winchester target rounds(100) and a box of Remington UMC rounds(50). I put 2 or 3 mags of the Wins through it and only had one 'reload' issue. When I pulled the trigger it hadn't 'reset' or returned all the way and required a complete release of the trigger and then it was fine. I chalked it up to being brand new and the problem didn't re-occur. The 3rd or 4th mag that I loaded the Remingtons and was lucky to get 2 shots off before the Rems started jamming up. After the second mag I quit shooting the Remingtons, because they wouldn't load. It almost looks like the shell is loading at too much of an angle for the case to catch properly in the chamber.

Both brands appear to be the same diameter, however the remington noses seem to be a little stouter and rounded whereas the wins are a bit longer and thinner.

Anyone have this same problem? As I said, I'm new to the KelTec line. I like the gun, but this issue worries me. I see a lot of info on polishing the ejection port, etc, but I wonder if there is a flaw with my gun or if this is easily corrected.

Did you clean and lube your P11 before taking it to the range? You should, that crap they put on it from the factory isn't a lube, it's to prevent rust and needs to be cleaned out.

The Winchester target bulk pack are a really dirty round, they may have just dirtied your gun up. They also aren't the best choice to run thru your pistol. The quality control isn't very good on the bulk packs.

Give it a good cleaning and lube/oil, take it back out and try just the UMC rounds...see what it does. It sometimes takes 2-300 rounds to really break in a Kel Tec.

Here are some very good lube/oil instructions:
    GoldenLoki.com

This is a crude representation of the view looking down onto the top of the rounds.

The UMC 115 JHP on the left WWB 115 JHP on the right.

There appears to be much less of a rim on the Winchester (as if the shell casing is thinner on the WWB).

Neither has any rubbing marks on the bullet except near the tip where it contacts the feed ramp during chambering.

Name:  wwb-umc-115gr-jhp.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  4.6 KB
    Last edited by marlin336; 01-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Ashamed to say that I didn't. I did do a wipe down to try and clean it up a bit while getting familiar with it. I did clean it yesterday and gave it a good clean and lube. I will admit that the slide and action did seem to go back together a lot smoother and ran smoother when back together. I probably will go back with it on Saturday for an hour if I can get in. Otherwise I will go Monday. I'll let you know.

As a side, I was having trouble picking up the white front site between the two white rears. So took a toothpick and a drop of flor. green testers enamel to the front dot. It helps a bit. Might help someone else.

Well, since the first range visit I did a good clean and lube job on the P11. Took it to the range on Saturday and all ejects and re-loads worked as expected. Probably even better. Anyway, still shooting consistently to the right. Will make a rear sight adjustment this week and head back to the range this weekend if possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads