Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cm1973

Thread: new pf9 owner

Junior KTranger

new pf9 owner

Hey guys. I am new to the site and a new pf9 owner. I just took it out to the range today and I have a couple of questions. First of all I like the gun. Second, the recoil is very manageable not at all what i was expecting. Reading alot of other reviews, I thought this thing was going to junp out of my hand. But this brings me to ask my quastions. After about 60 rounds I started getting fail to feeds (3) and (1) fail to eject. This only happened with the fiocchi 115fmj. I was also using remington umc 115fmj's that cycled flawlessly. Has anyone else had this problem with fiocchi? Or do you think the malfunctions were due to limp wristing? Or maybe just due to the fact it is a brand new gun and just has to be broken in. any input would be helpful. I really like it, and a 96% success rate isnt terrible. I have to get used to the long trigger pull though.
    Fleetmon likes this.

It could be any or all of the above. However, since you say the Remington rounds cycled with no problems, I think that limp-wristing can probably be eliminated from the equation. It could also be that the gun was getting dirty enough to cause the problems. My P-3AT will start to exhibit failures after 40-50 rounds if I don't stop to clean the chamber. It could also be that your particular gun just doesn't like Fiocchi. Did you fire any of the Remington through it after the failures?
    Self defense is not a part-time job!

Shooting is one of the great joys in life. Pass it on.

Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

From one of my Drill Sargents upon graduating from Basic Training - "Keep your powder dry, your pecker wet, and your belly full."

Quote Originally Posted by cm1973 View Post
    Hey guys. I am new to the site and a new pf9 owner. I just took it out to the range today and I have a couple of questions. First of all I like the gun. Second, the recoil is very manageable not at all what i was expecting. Reading alot of other reviews, I thought this thing was going to junp out of my hand. But this brings me to ask my quastions. After about 60 rounds I started getting fail to feeds (3) and (1) fail to eject. This only happened with the fiocchi 115fmj. I was also using remington umc 115fmj's that cycled flawlessly. Has anyone else had this problem with fiocchi? Or do you think the malfunctions were due to limp wristing? Or maybe just due to the fact it is a brand new gun and just has to be broken in. any input would be helpful. I really like it, and a 96% success rate isnt terrible. I have to get used to the long trigger pull though.
    As I mentioned on the other forum, all of these things may have something to do with the malfunctions. It does take about 200 rounds to properly break in the PF-9 and smooth out the sliding parts, so I would not worry much at this stage. But the gun can also be ammo picky, so your particular gun just may not like Fiocchis. Time will tell. In this post, I did note that malfunctions occurred after firing 60 rounds or so. That may just mean that the pistol was getting dirty by that time, and thus not functioning up to par due to powder residue, etc, especially since new and not broken in. After than many rounds, and new to the pistol with its sharp recoil, limp wristing from a tired hand and wrist can also start to tell on reliability, again especially since new and not yet broken in. . Particularly during the break in period, you may find it better to keep sessions down to around 50 rounds or so so that a tired hand/wrist does not add to any break in issues.

Jim R

Welcome from The Lone Star State.
    We the people are the Rightful Masters of both Congress and the Courts. Not to overthrow The Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert The Constitution.

Abraham Lincoln

Junior KTranger
    I am also new to the site and like the OP new to the PF9, but unlike him I find the PF9 has a real mean kick. It probably does not help that I shoot it one handed and have an arthritic wrist. I didn't have any problems with FTE/FTF but the recoil really stings my hand. I have another 9mm (different brand) that is really fun to shoot but it is too big for concealed carry. I did notice I had trouble with FTF with Fiocchi on my other gun though.

Junior KTranger
    I just purchased a new PF9. It ran flawlessly through 50 rounds of Fiocchi 115gr and 50 124gr Federal FMJ's. At the end I put 15 147gr Gold Dots through with no issues. I also own a S&W 340sc 11.9oz .357 so really the PF9 is very easy to manage for me compared to that beast. I have several larger/heavier semi's but the PF9 was purchased as my new pocket EDC. I will still carry my 340sc or 442 but the PF9 is very flat in the front pocket with 3 more rounds in the gun. Now that NY State limits my magazine capacity to 7 rounds it was the best solution. Why carry my P239 9mm or Beretta M9 when I have the same round capacity with the PF9? That little bugger was slamming steel targets one handed on the action range easily. I just hope that Kel Tec delivers on the additional magazines I ordered soon.

Ads